Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fender rails on Deluxe

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 05:06 PM
steamybob
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fitting Deluxe fender rails

There's no need to drill anything when fitting 'Heritage' front & rear fender rails to a 'Deluxe'.

For both rails use 6mm thick double sided adhesive pads (Used for fixing vehicle trim etc.) on the upright tabs that fit inside the fenders.

For the front, the four fixings on the forks hold the rail solid as a rock. The foam tab is simply 'insurance' on metal-to-metal contact.

DON'T drill the sides of your rear fender! Use a 1/2" long 5/16" button-head stainless bolt on each side. The trick is to gently coax a 5/16" jam-washer (Thin) between the fender rail and the fender. It can be a bit like gynaecology getting a 'purchase' on the nut (You'll have to hold it with long tweezers or wedge it with a long thin screwdriver) but it's better than drilling. Again, these two fixings hold it solid as a rock and the adhesive pad just helps out.

What I can't understand is why H-D market a bike with a deliberate 50s slant (Deluxe), but they don't market 50s style rails to go with it. Weird! But then a lot of H-D marketing is weird!!

Old 09-25-2012, 05:38 PM
thelawnmowerman
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Welcome to the forum Bob, there ain't many of us here from the UK.

Old 09-25-2012, 05:45 PM
eastlozHD
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Fender Rails on mine...drilled both fenders....not needed but I did anyway.

Old 09-26-2012, 02:05 AM
Fabrikator
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 09-29-2013, 07:35 PM
SKETTER
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

were can i find a seat rail for a 2013 deluxe these things look great? not the stock one but the higher one

Old 09-29-2013, 07:59 PM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SKETTER
were can i find a seat rail for a 2013 deluxe these things look great? not the stock one but the higher one
I found mine on ebay. 1993-2003 Springer Heritage seat rail. You have to pay for one though if you really want one. I paid $200 for mine. I did not really want to fork out that much but my bike is a solo bike 100% of the time and I think the Springer rail really looks sweet for the solo look.

Attached Thumbnails fender rails on Deluxe-early-september-2013-018.jpg  
Old 09-29-2013, 08:11 PM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by SKETTER
I think that's a springer seat rail and just as rare and the whole seat.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:48 PM
Aaresz
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, it's a seat rail for the Springer seat. Got one on my Deluxe as well.

Old 03-06-2015, 11:52 AM
trainkeptarolling
3rd Gear
Default Fender rails on a Softail Deluxe

Originally Posted by steamybob
There's no need to drill anything when fitting 'Heritage' front & rear fender rails to a 'Deluxe'.

For both rails use 6mm thick double sided adhesive pads (Used for fixing vehicle trim etc.) on the upright tabs that fit inside the fenders.

For the front, the four fixings on the forks hold the rail solid as a rock. The foam tab is simply 'insurance' on metal-to-metal contact.

DON'T drill the sides of your rear fender! Use a 1/2" long 5/16" button-head stainless bolt on each side. The trick is to gently coax a 5/16" jam-washer (Thin) between the fender rail and the fender. It can be a bit like gynaecology getting a 'purchase' on the nut (You'll have to hold it with long tweezers or wedge it with a long thin screwdriver) but it's better than drilling. Again, these two fixings hold it solid as a rock and the adhesive pad just helps out.

What I can't understand is why H-D market a bike with a deliberate 50s slant (Deluxe), but they don't market 50s style rails to go with it. Weird! But then a lot of H-D marketing is weird!!
Hi Bob,
My Harley dealership says that don't want to install the rails that are sold for the Heritage. I'm trying to figure out what you mean by "purchase" when installing these on a Deluxe. Any chance you could snap a close-up and post it? I REALLY want these rails and I really don't want to drill the fenders.
Thanks!

Old 08-26-2015, 10:45 AM
steveodeluxe
1st Gear

Quick Reply: fender rails on Deluxe