Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is the soft tail dead in the eye of Harleys design crew?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2011, 07:40 AM
George C
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lazyboy09
I see posts that the Rocker tank doesn't flow with the bike, but I couldn't disagree more. It creates a flowing line which to me looks perfect, unlike a peanut tank or some bulging fat a$$ tank. The only way it would look better would be with a curve on the bottom.The way it meets the seat really isn't bad, I don't get what others are seeing
You asked..
IMO, The tank is 180 degrees from what it should be to flow with that bike..
The tank is too flat, which is not what a chopper "flow" that I vision. I see the flow as high in the front while LOW in the rear to meet the rear portion of the bike cleanly.
The crash of 2007/08 came with stock values dropping like a rock. HD obviously was looking to build a factory chopper on some current parts to save a few bucks. They reached into the "easy" bin, and grabbed a Deuce tank. That saved them R&Ding a new tank. It was easy. The dies were already in service and paid for. They saved a few bucks, and wasted millions at the same time. The tank worked for the Deuce because of the Deuce's rear fender finished the flow. It doesn't even come close to fitting with the Rocker because of it's height and the super round flow of the Rocker's rear fender. IMO, Flat and round do not mix..
It's just my opinion here, and I'm sorry to sound the way I am, but I think there is an easy explanation why the model didn't sell.
JMO.

Last edited by George C; 02-06-2011 at 08:53 AM.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:49 AM
Willie D
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by DyNaBoB
so where is the proof that the x bones is gone?....i havent seen it....please post a link thats not from here..................

Looks like it is still alive from this add.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...oss-bones.html

Old 02-06-2011, 09:55 AM
Willie D
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cool

Originally Posted by watchluvr4ever
No proof but was told that dealers received a notification of this. My local dealer confirmed this.
Looks like it is still in the catalog:

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...oss-bones.html

Old 02-06-2011, 08:38 PM
Jeepguy1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I read through all of the posts I can tell that everyone has there own opinions of what looks good in a bike design. The Motor Company will make what sells. That is what supply and demand is all about. I myself have opinions but they are just mine and not the masses. I personally like the basic Softail ( Softail Custom, Nightrain ) as a baseline for an unlimited amount of upgrades.

Old 02-06-2011, 09:25 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by George C
I think the Bones and the Rocker represent the WORST designs in HD history.
Not that the ideas weren't good, but HD blew the design just to be able to build the bike with current parts and inventory without investing in new parts.
To me, these were designs Harley did on the cheap...

Rocker.
The Deuce tank doesn't flow at all
What do mean by that statment? It's a stretched tank & sure flows more than the Fatboy or Deluxe, IMO. Take a good look at my Deuce! Bring back the Deuce with a revamped rear fender & I guarantee it will sell.