Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Massive Harley Dilemma!

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2006, 04:13 PM
lucospock
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Massive Harley Dilemma!

Hi from Switzerland.
I am a new Harley driver, and when I bought my first harley, some peaple complimented me but many peaple made fun of me, because of Bla bla bla, all the story you already heard (oil leaking, expensive...). One of my friend biker who used to make the most fun of me, just bought a Softail....that says it all.

DON"T LISTEN TO OTHERS AND BUY WHAT YOU REALLY WANT. A Harley, you won't regret it.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:27 PM
English Pete
Cruiser

Hi Helen,
I am in the UK, I live near Oxford. I bought my Softail from the Oxford dealership last January. It has just had its 5000 mile service, and I have had no problems whatsoever.
One of the things you often here, is that Harleys are no good on our narrow roads. That is BS, my wife and I toured along the south coast and all around Dartmoor, purposely taking all the minor roads. We were loaded up with camping gear, but the bike coped beautifully.
My advice is, go to a Harley dealership, have a test ride, don’t be intimidated by the size and weight, they are easy to ride. I bet you will both be hooked. Join your local Chapter; you will literally make hundreds of new friends, and you will have a great time.

Old 10-09-2006, 04:30 PM
ST Deuce
Tourer

helen,

buy that harley, you wont regret it!! who cares what other people say, go with your instincts!! H-D all the way!!

Old 10-09-2006, 05:25 PM
jdmbackdoc
Intermediate

Hi Helen, Lemme put in my 2 cents. I owned Italian and Jap bikes as a kid 25 years ago. Great cheap stuff for a kid. As a 45 year old now I can afford pretty much whatever I want. I bought an 06 Fatboy in May and can't stop grinning. Everytime I ride, my decision is confirmed. There is a true sense of superiority when on a Harley and I truly don't say that in a bad way. Everyone else deep down inside wants to be one or own one. When people ask "What kind of bike you have?" one word speaks volumes, "Harley". The new HD's are very sound mechanically. There is no leaking, they start right up, and run great. Just got done with a 200 mile ride yesterday and feel like a million bucks. There is just an unseen aura about a Harley that mesmerizes people. The other bikes are fine machines but only a Harley seems to have a soul. If your husband gets a Harley he will never regret it and will always be able to hold his head up high! If he gets anything else he will forever be thinking "I wish I had a Harley."

Old 10-09-2006, 06:19 PM
snowyhog
Cruiser

Hi Helen,
I have a 06 delux and live in southern England , i have rode everything from classic jap to sports bikes in the last 28 years on british roads and thankfully am still here to enjoy and remember the friends that are not .Everyones jap bike does 200 mph and handles like its on rails its all they have to talk about .
That Harley will save him from all the rubbish talk

This bike is a very sexy bike and totally reliable , Harleys have been for years now so thats no problem .
Its a bike as a couple ,you will both be able to enjoy the pleasure of going out riding!!! and go out and live the lifestyle with class . It will hold its value on into the years , while other makes are worthless after a few .
My wife loves going pillion now i have a Harley.

It depends on how your partner is really, and what he wants from the bike, UK roads have lots of tight bends, the Harley softail is a cruising bike with style, especially the deluxe is a 50's style even lower bike and have limitations on ground clearance and dont like being chucked about in tight corners . But ridden smoothly no problem .
Other Harleys like sportsters and dynas have better clearance.
Best of luck with whatever choice !!but the biggest smile would be riding home that HD Nostalga

Old 10-09-2006, 09:53 PM
ST Deuce
Tourer

ORIGINAL: jdmbackdoc

Hi Helen, Lemme put in my 2 cents. I owned Italian and Jap bikes as a kid 25 years ago. Great cheap stuff for a kid. As a 45 year old now I can afford pretty much whatever I want. I bought an 06 Fatboy in May and can't stop grinning. Everytime I ride, my decision is confirmed. There is a true sense of superiority when on a Harley and I truly don't say that in a bad way. Everyone else deep down inside wants to be one or own one. When people ask "What kind of bike you have?" one word speaks volumes, "Harley". The new HD's are very sound mechanically. There is no leaking, they start right up, and run great. Just got done with a 200 mile ride yesterday and feel like a million bucks. There is just an unseen aura about a Harley that mesmerizes people. The other bikes are fine machines but only a Harley seems to have a soul. If your husband gets a Harley he will never regret it and will always be able to hold his head up high! If he gets anything else he will forever be thinking "I wish I had a Harley."

the statement above is so true and couldnt have been written any better!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-09-2006, 10:44 PM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just reading this post, I knew it was going to be commented on a lot. The truth is, Harley's are no less reliable than any other bike out there. Regardless of what all the non-Harley riders say, HD makes a great product. True, with the exception of the V-ROD, they might not be as technically advanced or modern as some of it's rivals, but even with some of their archaic designs, they are still solid bikes with a lot of life in them. Dollar for dollar, you cannot get the same quality in another line of bike whether it's American, European or Japanese. There are a lot less plastic parts and fancy electronics to go bad on a Harley than any other bike and although Harley is changing to meet EPA regulations, that is still true for the most part. The thing is, Harley's are no for everyone and they are more than just a status symbol. Take one ride on a Harley and you will understand. Tell your husband if it's a Harley he wants, to go get it. Trust me, he will be the leader of the pack and the envy of all the guys telling him not to get it. And when he's asked that infamous question, "Is that a Harley?", he can nood and smile ear to ear.....YES

Old 10-09-2006, 11:16 PM
FLSTCI nut
Outstanding HDF Member

Look at the construction of the competition. Plastic headlights, plastic chrome everywhere. Most don't hold their value as Harley does. Although Harley isn't holding their value as the did five years ago but the others are really poor. There is a reason they are more expensive. They are worh it. Do your homework and compare. I am sure every brand has their share of problems it is how the problems are resolved that makes a brand great. I had issues with the bike running too lean but after I got that working the bike runs flawless. Go for the Harley. You won't regret it!

Old 10-10-2006, 02:19 AM
atomic
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: helen

Many thanks geezer glider for your advice,his fellow riders etc are all coming out with their stories of buying jap bikes,about how reliable they are and how they bought them for a tenth of the cost second-hand etc, and looking at him like he's a dumbass or got more money than sense, as he is not technically minded and this is his first bike even though its his dream bike ,faced with such opposition its undrestandable given cost etc that he was little worried,but thanks to the input from you and other member we feel a whole lot better, also thats a very handsome bike you have,cheers.
Yeah and alot of those Japanesse bikes would cost you in insurance the cost of Harley. At least over here one year for jap sport bikes insurance can exceed the price of the bike itself. While insurance for Harley is next to nothing.

Harleys were unreliable in the 70's and early 80's. They have long since turned the company around and that is why they are exported all over the world.

Old 10-10-2006, 11:58 AM
Lauro
Intermediate

Go with Harley,, I own a 06 Deluxe and recomend it..

totally agree with jdmbackdoc, you feel superior riding your Harley.

"Harleys are expensive, there are other bikes, but those ain´t bikes"

Quick Reply: Massive Harley Dilemma!