Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

V&H A/C or K&N?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 03:23 AM
justinHD
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V&H A/C or K&N?

My 09 FLSTC runs very hot and i dont think it is a good thing at all. To address this issue i believe i need to get the stage 1 stuff done and remap the ECU. Thats all good but trying to find out which one would suit my ride required a lot of reading up but settled on and purchased the TTS mastertune. I know the rear pipe has the electronically controlled butterfly as does i think the a/c (Intake Solenoid and Exhaust Actuator) . These i believe the TTS will hopefully sort out.
next up in the stage 1 were some pipes and the v&h big shots long with the quiet baffles fit the bill.
where i am still stumped are on two fronts.
1. the A/C - is the drak v&h the one to go for, SE stage 1, the arlen ness big sucker (1or2? - heard there were quality issues with this A/C), the doherty machine power pacc (but he doesnt seem to make anything from 07 up), K&N RK-3909 Kit etc., etc. - i would like something that uses the standard FLSTC A/C housing and gives the best throughput - air speed and volume.
2. wide band 02 sensors aka Revolution Performance Precision Engine Management System. or something like AFXiED/LC1 Wide Band O2 Sensor Upgrade from Nightrider and co.

any ideas?

Thanks

Justin

Old 03-17-2011, 04:54 AM
Rakthi
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 79 Posts

With the TTS you can turn off the valves in the exhaust and intake. You first load map QD176-xxx which will allow you to turn of those pesky things, and then you can load map AF176-xxx.

You don't need to purchase the wide band oxygen sensors, the stock ones work fine with the TTS Mastertune.

As for A/C, go with the one you think looks best. As long as you got a good quality (K&N) filter in there you are good.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:24 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't had any issues with my Big Sucker stage I.. all it is is a housing with larger intake hole than the stock harley one, and a K&N filter on it, and the stock football cleaner fits it like it should.. i have no input on anything else because, personally, i haven't used them.. and i try to not spread rumors about other products that i don't know things about

Old 03-17-2011, 10:38 AM
DR. V-TWIN
Former Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 38 Posts

You need a head pipe that do3es not have a cat in it first off. then get a tuner and a/c to along with it. My buddy just got a CVO RG Ultra and it was running really hot until he put on some Power Duals and a tuner. The air filter will not cool it down, but make it run hotter or more lean without the proper tune. The ehadpipe combined with the tuner and air filter is the real solution for you. There are numerous air filters available for your needs. I have no theard of any issues with the Doherty.

Drew

Old 03-18-2011, 01:21 AM
justinHD
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Folks,

Thanks very much for your input, greatly appreciated.
Rakthi, thanks for your input, especially on the maps to use and the O2 sensor.
Dr V-Twin, thanks for your feedback. I have only seen good feedback on the Doherty but when visiting the website see nothing for bikes later than 2007 without throttle by wire. i have sent through a query to Doherty to determine if they do work on the later bikes so will see if i get a response and post it back here.
Sgt Jim, thanks for your feedback on the big sucker. I really like the big sucker and have done tons of reading in various forums to find out more about it. There was and is no intention on my part to spread rumours regards this product as issues surrounding quality are pretty well documented in the various forums by people that bought and installed them and my perception (right or wrong) was based on that.

Thanks again,

Justin

Old 03-18-2011, 08:37 AM
handyhoward
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Getting rid of the lean is going to be a good thing... also change your oil to a Class IV or better Full Synthetic... brand doesn't really matter as long as it is Class IV or better and a full synthetic.