Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First new addition to my old Fat Boy.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 07:24 PM
SurfGuitar141
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First new addition to my old Fat Boy.....

Last night a group of us took a 10 mile ride to the local Outback restaurant, it was the first time I rode 2-up with my wife on the back of my Fat Boy, definitely saw a need for a passenger back rest, especially with the poor road conditions we have here in South Jersey after 2 seriously bad winters....(thought she was going to bounce right off the seat a few times)....

Rode out to the dealer today to pick up my license plate and registration, while there I looked at the options I had with fitting a decent back rest with a luggage rack on this 2003 FLSTFI....

When it was all said and done I walked out spending $401.05, lucky for me my buddy with the Road King Classic had emptied his saddle bags before we rode out there, and I was able to fit all the boxes in his bags, if not I would of had to make the trip back in my Jeep to get it all....

Pretty easy install, took an hour and one beer to complete. Tested it out this evening by taking the wife to one of the local pizza shops for dinner, she immediately approved the purchase since she felt a bit more secure (and comfortable) with something to learn back on......and it does look too bad either.....

Old 03-18-2011, 08:01 PM
trnman32
Advanced

I have the same backrest with the luggage rack only detachable and my wife loves it as well!!

Old 03-18-2011, 10:51 PM
Phatboy2010
Tourer

Looks good. I just got done putting on the BAREBACKS quick detach and bags on the wifes Deluex. The backrest is next like yours. Good thing i got the BAREBACKS now for the backrest if not it would be another 130 bucks for the ones for a backrest later.....!

Old 03-19-2011, 12:11 AM
tunaman
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 203 Posts

Should have considered the detachable mounts, if you didn't, as it is really nice to be able to take it off and put it back on depending on your circumstances. Also, I've got that similar pad along with the wider backrest, and while that one works OK for bar hopping and short rides, my wife much prefers the wider pad for longer rides.

Backrests are a really good idea for back seat riders! I'm sure yours is going to be very happy you decided to do so.

Roger

Old 03-19-2011, 12:21 AM
NoRegerts
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 8,888 Likes on 4,674 Posts

One of the first things I'm doing is a back rest for my wife. But if will also serve as a place for me to strap my gear for work too. It's a win win. It's doesn't look bad at all. I kinda like it.

Old 03-19-2011, 08:51 AM
SurfGuitar141
Tourer

Originally Posted by RIPbiker13
One of the first things I'm doing is a back rest for my wife. But if will also serve as a place for me to strap my gear for work too. It's a win win. It's doesn't look bad at all. I kinda like it.
That was also the reason I got it, besides making 2-up riding a little safer and more secure for the wife, it also gives me options for strapping stuff in front of, and behind the bar. I plan to ride it to work every chance I get, a spare sweat shirt, drink cooler, and a few other things to help me get through the day usually go with me. Don't really want saddle bags, and don't plan to carry enough stuff around to justify them, this bar & rack is just enough.....

I also plan to get a fork bag so we got a place to put keys, cell phones, and bungee chords.....

Old 03-19-2011, 08:58 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm glad to see you also bought the luggage rack. She's going to want to ride with you on an over-nighter and you'll be needing it to carry the 50# of stuff she'll want to take. J/K...luggage fits perfectly on the rack and its more than worth the $ you spent on it.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:01 AM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by SurfGuitar141
I also plan to get a fork bag so we got a place to put keys, cell phones, and bungee chords.....
Surf...be REALLY careful about placing a fork bag on your bike - in fact, don't do it.

Why? Well, including myself, there have been dozens of riders here on the forum who did that and ended up denting the front fender. The shocks compress enough that anything in the fenders way will get crunched...and the fender will dent.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Dixie Dreg
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have the same one, my wife won't ride without it, she calls it her seat. She also calls her helmet a hat, go figure.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:25 PM
SurfGuitar141
Tourer

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Surf...be REALLY careful about placing a fork bag on your bike - in fact, don't do it.

Why? Well, including myself, there have been dozens of riders here on the forum who did that and ended up denting the front fender. The shocks compress enough that anything in the fenders way will get crunched...and the fender will dent.
Had one on my Sportster, just one of the small round leather bags, it was never a problem on that bike, but I'll take heed to your warning and make sure anything I may get mounts high enough to clear suspension travel, if not then I'll live without it.....

Quick Reply: First new addition to my old Fat Boy.....