Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Softail Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models-7/)
-   -   oil spray on right side/oil tank. (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softail-models/622077-oil-spray-on-right-side-oil-tank.html)

coorsbig8balls 03-19-2011 06:24 PM

oil spray on right side/oil tank.

im wondering if anyone else has had this problem or fixed a problem like this. i have a 1998 heritage softail classic and everytime i ride for more than 20 minutes there is oil spray all over my oil tank and the exhaust infront of it.. looks to me like its coming from the air cleaner. there is a brand new oil cap, i just cleaned the air filter, and yet im still getting this problem. can anyone tell me what i can do or what the problem might be?

fcsallan 03-19-2011 06:35 PM

Sounds like your breathers are blowing a bit of oil back at your chrome. :)

There are or should be two hoses or one pipe connecting the two and one hose, that leads to the rear of the AC. !. check to see if it is cracked or missing, 2. check to see if it is full of oil. You could be getting a lot of blowby. A catch can can alleviate much of that.

kkiley 03-19-2011 06:46 PM

Take a look at your upper seals on your lifter tubes. Mine started doing the same thing and I found a tube wasn't seated correctly.

nova_SS 03-19-2011 09:06 PM

Over filling will cause the same problem.

Paddry69 03-19-2011 11:40 PM

Sounds like a similar problem I had with my 05 Heritage. Apparently, while being serviced, one of the techs cleaned the K&N and saturated the filter with oil. The excess oil blew back onto the oil tank and bags. After it was washed out and a thin coat of oil was re-applied I've had no more problems.

keno 03-19-2011 11:48 PM

My problem was a blown rocker box cover gasket. It allowed a light mist/spray of oil on the right side of tank. I couldn't see the leak with my naked eye, but finally grabbed a bright led flashlight and I could clearly see where it was coming from. If you have the same problem, look at the back of the rear jug for signs of oil higher than where the oil is hitting your tank. Warranty picked up the repair cost.

Other Sheep 03-20-2011 01:19 AM

Nova SS has the easiest check for you. If the bike is near the top fill level or over it will suck oil into your air filter and blow it back exactly like you describe. Take a clean rag and wipe around the edges of the air filter and see if you've got oil. Keep the oil level between low and full. It should help. Hard riding will cause it sometimes no matter where the level is though.

fdb2007 03-20-2011 08:23 AM

another vote for overservicing oil or the filter oil. Been there, done that. Sucks if it is something else. While you are inspecting, make sure you don't have oil blowing back on your tire.

coorsbig8balls 03-20-2011 06:42 PM

thanks for all the replies. i havent had a chance to check it out but i am going to tare it apart tomorrow. i actually DID over oil the k&n air filter and that is causing spray back but prior to me touching the air filter there is still an oil spray. im going to check all the options that were put on here and i'll let you know what i find.

jlasoftail 03-20-2011 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Paddry69 (Post 8070265)
Sounds like a similar problem I had with my 05 Heritage. Apparently, while being serviced, one of the techs cleaned the K&N and saturated the filter with oil. The excess oil blew back onto the oil tank and bags. After it was washed out and a thin coat of oil was re-applied I've had no more problems.

I did the same thing with one of my old jap bikes.