Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil spray on right side/oil tank.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2011, 06:24 PM
coorsbig8balls
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil spray on right side/oil tank.

im wondering if anyone else has had this problem or fixed a problem like this. i have a 1998 heritage softail classic and everytime i ride for more than 20 minutes there is oil spray all over my oil tank and the exhaust infront of it.. looks to me like its coming from the air cleaner. there is a brand new oil cap, i just cleaned the air filter, and yet im still getting this problem. can anyone tell me what i can do or what the problem might be?

Old 03-19-2011, 06:35 PM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Sounds like your breathers are blowing a bit of oil back at your chrome.

There are or should be two hoses or one pipe connecting the two and one hose, that leads to the rear of the AC. !. check to see if it is cracked or missing, 2. check to see if it is full of oil. You could be getting a lot of blowby. A catch can can alleviate much of that.

Old 03-19-2011, 06:46 PM
kkiley
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Take a look at your upper seals on your lifter tubes. Mine started doing the same thing and I found a tube wasn't seated correctly.

Old 03-19-2011, 09:06 PM
nova_SS
Cruiser

Over filling will cause the same problem.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:40 PM
Paddry69
4th Gear

Sounds like a similar problem I had with my 05 Heritage. Apparently, while being serviced, one of the techs cleaned the K&N and saturated the filter with oil. The excess oil blew back onto the oil tank and bags. After it was washed out and a thin coat of oil was re-applied I've had no more problems.

Old 03-19-2011, 11:48 PM
keno
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My problem was a blown rocker box cover gasket. It allowed a light mist/spray of oil on the right side of tank. I couldn't see the leak with my naked eye, but finally grabbed a bright led flashlight and I could clearly see where it was coming from. If you have the same problem, look at the back of the rear jug for signs of oil higher than where the oil is hitting your tank. Warranty picked up the repair cost.

Old 03-20-2011, 01:19 AM
Other Sheep
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Nova SS has the easiest check for you. If the bike is near the top fill level or over it will suck oil into your air filter and blow it back exactly like you describe. Take a clean rag and wipe around the edges of the air filter and see if you've got oil. Keep the oil level between low and full. It should help. Hard riding will cause it sometimes no matter where the level is though.

Old 03-20-2011, 08:23 AM
fdb2007
Road Master

another vote for overservicing oil or the filter oil. Been there, done that. Sucks if it is something else. While you are inspecting, make sure you don't have oil blowing back on your tire.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:42 PM
coorsbig8balls
Novice

thanks for all the replies. i havent had a chance to check it out but i am going to tare it apart tomorrow. i actually DID over oil the k&n air filter and that is causing spray back but prior to me touching the air filter there is still an oil spray. im going to check all the options that were put on here and i'll let you know what i find.

Old 03-20-2011, 06:54 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Paddry69
Sounds like a similar problem I had with my 05 Heritage. Apparently, while being serviced, one of the techs cleaned the K&N and saturated the filter with oil. The excess oil blew back onto the oil tank and bags. After it was washed out and a thin coat of oil was re-applied I've had no more problems.
I did the same thing with one of my old jap bikes.

Quick Reply: oil spray on right side/oil tank.