Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So I've got this swingarm bag.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 08:46 PM
big6x6
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by WARG
My blog has a write up on how to make a rigid mount to remedy these issues. www.chasinwhitelines.blogspot.com
Man you can do it! I may even undertake that myself, but I'll tell you I'm not as crafty as you are, not by a long shot! GREAT blog BTW!

Thanks for the words of wisdom! I put about 175 miles on it with nary an issue! Scraped the footboards some...no problems...

Old 11-30-2012, 12:22 AM
Maddogv21
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but thought it may apply. I've got the 5" leatherworks swing arm bag on my rocker, only had it for about 150 miles so far. I noticed tonight that I've already dragged it on the ground and the stitching is all gone on the front corner..... Anybody have a remedy to fix it?? Besides the obvious choices like "don't lean so far" or "have it restitched". I'm looking long term fix.... Maybe a thin piece of sheet metal riveted to the bag? Hopefully there's a remedy out there for it....

Old 11-30-2012, 12:55 AM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member

Thnx for the resurection as I found this

Originally Posted by WARG
My blog has a write up on how to make a rigid mount to remedy these issues. www.chasinwhitelines.blogspot.com

Thanks WARG - this is a great step by step for slick looking rigid mount

Last edited by Midgard; 11-30-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 12:59 AM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Maddogv21
I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but thought it may apply. I've got the 5" leatherworks swing arm bag on my rocker, only had it for about 150 miles so far. I noticed tonight that I've already dragged it on the ground and the stitching is all gone on the front corner..... Anybody have a remedy to fix it?? Besides the obvious choices like "don't lean so far" or "have it restitched". I'm looking long term fix.... Maybe a thin piece of sheet metal riveted to the bag? Hopefully there's a remedy out there for it....

Yes there is - see the link WARG posted (you have to go to 2010 part of blog) with the bracket style he made you can raise the bag on the mount therefore getting it up off the ground more

Last edited by Midgard; 11-30-2012 at 02:36 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 02:17 AM
Maddogv21
Intermediate

Awesome thanks

Old 11-30-2012, 02:36 AM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member

You're welcome **note** you have to go to 2009 part of blog not 2010

Old 11-30-2012, 06:39 AM
Rodzilla6
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the same bag and touched a couple of times (lowered rocker...). This is what I did and it has worked fine. Raraely, but once in a while it just touchs the front corner on the bottom. I went to the hardware store and bought a black bakelite replacement radio **** (they have all diff types). I picked out a low, slightly rounded one. They have a bolt built into them. I got 2 nuts, one a locking nut, plus a washer for the bottom and a larger one for in the bag. I drilled a small hole in the bottom of the bag, put the radio **** up from the bottom, put all the washers and nuts on. It has been there about 1.5 years and has touched down a couple times and barely has a scratch...bag untouched...the **** takes the hit...they are very hard. $5.00 total. FANTASTIC BAG ALL AROUND. I TAKE TRIPS WITH IT AND A COUPLE OTHERS. LEATHERWORKS=TOPNOTCH!
Ps you cannot see the **** once installed...

Old 11-30-2012, 11:05 AM
Ash16
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a great idea Rod!

As far as Warg's mounting goes, I wasn't convinced that I needed it until I actually saw his in person. He bought his bag before I bought mine and his has held up 100 times better. The mount helps the bag keep it's shape. I got my bag good and wet then stuffed it full of towels to dry back to form before mounting it with Warg's method over a year ago and it still looks great.

Last edited by Ash16; 11-30-2012 at 11:09 AM.
Old 11-30-2012, 11:30 AM
zworld
Tourer

Hate to hijack a thread, but you guys that have this bag, is your passengers legg clearance still ok? Would love to have extra storage, but not at the comfort expense of my girl.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:58 AM
Midgard
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by zworld
Hate to hijack a thread, but you guys that have this bag, is your passengers legg clearance still ok? Would love to have extra storage, but not at the comfort expense of my girl.
I still have my crappy/floppy LaRosa bag on mine and it is not a problem (haven't put on my new 5" Leatherworks one yet), but..... if you look at WARGS blog/how to, you could easily "position the bag where you know it won't rub up on your girl"

Quick Reply: So I've got this swingarm bag.....