Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New to Riding

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 11:15 AM
brettnbama
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1,000,000 on the MSF course, even after you take the course, don't think you are completely ready....spend some time in a parking lot (empty) getting to know the bike and how it handles at slow speeds. Going fast is the easy part. Stopping when you absolutley have to and maneuvering at slow speeds it where you will make the most mistakes. I do not like the asthetics of an engine guard, but since you are just learning, maybe look at putting one on. If you don't like it, after a while take it off. Those things can be a savior if you do happen to make a oopsie at slow speeds. Remember, if the bars are turned NO FRONT BRAKES!!!

Old 04-18-2011, 11:16 AM
Sgt Sportster
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would say for riding MSF course is great. Also set your own pace, don't let other riders or cars behind you make you ride any faster than you feel comfortable riding. Don't be afraid to take yourself out of a situation. Pull over let the traffic pass, what ever you need to do to take the pressure off. You will have to learn to trust your bike and skills before you start having fun. All the techniques they teach in MSF, you need to get down to a reaction. Good luck and ride safe.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:33 PM
jlasoftail
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 50 Posts

If you've never ridden before, take the course!!! Then like others have said, stay in a parking lot to get used to it. Everything should be done by instinct before you head out on the road, because if something happens, you wont have time to think. Your feet need to know where the shifter and break are, your hands need to know where the clutch and break are. You need to be able to pull some sharp u-turns, and most important, you need to be comfortable. As for the bike itself, look it over REALLY good before you sign off on it. For breaking, I'm somewhere in the middle. I tried to baby it for the first 1000k, then again when the motor was rebuilt, but by the time I get out on the open road, I drive the $h!t out of it... Hasn't done any harm...

Old 04-18-2011, 06:37 PM
scheng32
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am taking the MSF in early May, and really looking forward to start learning on it. I have been scouting out parking lots where I can practice.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:41 PM
frenchman
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

What's up with those people who start riding on a 660 lbs, 15000$ machine? When I started riding, a Harley was a goal.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:47 PM
RG462
Advanced

1-Take the course!!
2-Take your time!!
3-DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DROP YOUR HARLEY!!!
4-Enjoy it!
5-MOST IMPORTANT!!! Ride safe!

Old 04-18-2011, 06:51 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 145 Likes on 93 Posts

After you take the course, spend the first week doing the same exercises with your new Harley that you did in the course. Find a vacant parking lot and practice. I took the MSF course on a Buell Blast and there is a BIG difference between the blast and a Softail. Good Luck!

Old 04-18-2011, 06:51 PM
KeeBee
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RG462
1-Take the course!!
2-Take your time!!
3-DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES DROP YOUR HARLEY!!!
4-Enjoy it!
5-MOST IMPORTANT!!! Ride safe!
Most new people drop their first bike a couple of times.

Old 04-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Bdobb
Cruiser

I'll second what another member wrote: "Ride like everyone wants to kill you". Also imagine that you are invisible to EVERYONE, AT EVERY MOMENT. I've been forced off my lane on the interstate three times-not a problem when it is anticipated.

Congrats, and enjoy the road on your new ride...there's nothing better!

Old 04-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Bdobb
Cruiser

...Forgot something-those critters love to play chicken with you after sundown!

Last edited by Bdobb; 04-18-2011 at 07:05 PM.

Quick Reply: New to Riding