Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turning a B motor into an A

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 11:54 PM
Ole T Sport
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kadorja
Make sure you hard tail it and loosen up some bolts so it leaks.

In all seriousness how much HP are you losing with the counter balance on there? I know a guy who didnt consider anything EFI a real Harley. Thats one thing that bugs me is even if you ride a Harley you arent riding what someone else considers a Harley. I would enjoy it since I enjoy a lopey idle and shaking car/bike but the work involved and what you get out of it may not be worth it.
Actually the Softtail frame is not a true Harley.

To the OP.. your wrench is messing with you.

Last edited by Ole T Sport; 06-10-2011 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:59 PM
dcgray2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by deadeye
Find a way to add a counterbalancer to an A motor in a bagger and that will be a mod worth doing.
So basically mount a "B" motor in a bagger like the other guy said?

I have often wondered why MOCO doesn't do that on a CVO RG or UC bike... To smooth I guess.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:09 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts

Originally Posted by Ole T Sport

HUH?

To the OP.. you wrench is messing with you.
Actually a very reliable source told me 2012 touring motors "would be"
liquid cooled B motors.

Ok, I'm sorry . . . Someone had to.

Old 06-10-2011, 12:14 AM
Ole T Sport
Tourer

Originally Posted by byersmtrco
Actually a very reliable source told me 2012 touring motors "would be"
liquid cooled B motors.

Ok, I'm sorry . . . Someone had to.
Truth hurts, HD bought softtail patent from private individual

Old 06-10-2011, 01:24 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ole T Sport

To the OP.. your wrench is messing with you.
So it's a fake or false Harley then?
Wonder what else they install that wasn't designed first by them? Crap, I'd bet none are real Harleys then!
I'm guessing most wouldn't use your definition to define their vehicles.
Most know the history of the Softail design by Bill Davis in the early 70s who then sold it to HD in 1982. HD then offered it in a revised version.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:41 AM
Ole T Sport
Tourer

Sorry.
  • The Harley Softail design originated in the 1970s. Unhappy with the styling of his 1972 FX Super Glide, Bill Davis of Saint Louis, Missouri started on a custom version. It earned so much praise that he hired an attorney and filed US Patent 4087109 in March 1976.

First Meetings
  • In August 1976, Davis met with Willie G. and Louie Netz of Harley-Davidson. While they liked the new machine, they did not buy. Davis continued to tweak his design and sold around twenty frames. He also worked on a version for the Sportster.
    Davis entered into a business partnership with a person whom, according to Greg Field in the book "Harley-Davidson Softail," he still refuses to name. Six months later Willie G. wrote to express his interest, followed by a call from Jeff Bleustein. While Davis did meet with Harley-Davidson again, he did not like their offer.

Sub Shock
  • Davis continued to refine his work, realizing that he could put the shocks under the transmission. The old design had several problems such as the excessively high saddle, and this new "Sub Shock" design fixed them.
    In August 1980, Davis and his partner rode to Sturgis, one each on the original '72 FX and the modified Sub Shock. The ride revealed a serious design flaw on the Sub Shock (the build-up of heat was breaking down the urethane cylinders and destroying the shocks).
    The partner took home the Sub Shock and when Davis reached Deadwood, South Dakota he was robbed. He returned home without ever reaching Sturgis and experimented on his new design until it worked.

Road Worx
  • Davis started a new company, Road Worx. The new frames were labor-intensive and required hand-building, so he hired another mechanic. While the frames were selling, they weren't covering the loans fast enough and the company's attorney advised a quick sale. The business partner left, and Davis was unable to find any takers among the established customizers or motorcycle manufacturers. RoadWorx failed.
    Davis called Bleustein again and received a better offer--but his royalties would be subject to a lifetime cap. Davis reluctantly sealed the deal on January 6, 1982 and the first Harley Softail, the FXST, was introduced in the summer of 1983

Last edited by Ole T Sport; 06-10-2011 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Jumped the gun
The following users liked this post:
V-Dawg (08-15-2021)
Old 06-10-2011, 01:45 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

Who bubble did you burst?

Old 06-10-2011, 01:51 AM
HoggyMtnBreakdown
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 87 Posts

Like I said, I'm not even considering doing it. It's just the first I heard mention of it, so I was just wondering what everybody here thought and wondered if it could really be done without being detrimental to the motor and/or bike itself, since Softails were all rigid-mounted b4 the B motor came out...

I'm personally very fond of the silky smooth ride of the current Softails. It'll be even smoother once I install the Shotgun Shock I just got, but that's a different thread.

Old 06-10-2011, 01:57 AM
Kowan
Ultimate HDF Member

The original owner of Lancaster CA HD, had his shop replace his old 1987 EVO balanced motor with one not balanced/not one made for a rigid engine mount Softail.

He said he missed the vibration of the older Harleys.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:20 AM
cpiad
Account Closed
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dang ... a Softail not a real Harley ... well then .. in the morning ... I'll ride my bike down to the Glades ... I'll get a can of gasoline and burn the fuxxer ... POSER BIKE BE DAMNED!

PS: of all the moronic shtt on this forum ... this wins the Bush Award for Stupidity

Quick Reply: Turning a B motor into an A