Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 Heritage with stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 10:08 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Haven't read of many owner's getting 50 mpg. I get a consistent 41 mpg in 30/70 highway/city riding. When it's all highway, at about 75 mph, I get 43 mpg.
Tom

Old 09-07-2011, 09:18 AM
BiggDogg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know you guys have bigger bikes but when I had my fuel pak on I only got about 36-38 mpg. on the highway i averaged 45-47. once it stops raining and i can actually finish up the tank then I will see how the PCV compaires to the fuel pak in mpg

Old 09-07-2011, 10:10 AM
merdahl
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dtfly
I'll do some more testing, but I'm pretty sure the tuner is dead. I'd just as soon have a stock bike with less stuff to go wrong if possible, but I guess maybe I need it for the pipes and AC.

As far as mileage, I see a lot of people on here getting 45-50 with these bikes, and I think 38 sucks!

I wonder if I continue to run the O2 eliminators, without the PC, if that would richen up the stock ECM? I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here, just wondering if I have to buy another PC3.... and stick with 38mpg...
If your tuner was broke, the bike wouldn't run. It could be you don't have the optimum map, but you have not presented enough info to say that. Where did the map come from? Canned map or Dyno? How do the plugs look?

Take the mileage numbers quoted with a grain of salt and be careful how you measure it. My mileage varies greatly depending on how I am riding.
85 MPH into a headwind can suck up some gas, I got 28 MPG in that case.
If I really take it easy, nothing above 55 MPH I can get 50 MPG.
Normal riding for me gets just under 40 MPG.

Old 09-07-2011, 02:00 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

[QUOTE=dtfly;8786551]
As far as mileage, I see a lot of people on here getting 45-50 with these bikes, and I think 38 sucks!

I've rode with a couple others that claimed that got 50mpg.. but on some trips when we had to make several stops, two of them actually used more gas I did when we filled up and I didn't get 50.

Although I have seen a couple Evo's that get 50

Some don't really know how to figure G/M..

One of the guys filled his tank and took 4.21 gallons, he just rounded it to 4gal when he figured,, big difference on results..

Last edited by oct1949; 09-07-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:07 PM
Miked053
Supporter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

with the fuel pack doing mixed city and highway I pretty much always get 43 mpg

Old 09-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Vibration Train
Advanced

I agree that you'll get different results based on the conditions. Dont worry too much about MPG, just enjoy your new bike. Stock bikes are lacking power, be greatful your bike came with a stage 1.....enjoy the ride.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:06 PM
dtfly
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by merdahl
If your tuner was broke, the bike wouldn't run. It could be you don't have the optimum map, but you have not presented enough info to say that. Where did the map come from? Canned map or Dyno? How do the plugs look?

Take the mileage numbers quoted with a grain of salt and be careful how you measure it. My mileage varies greatly depending on how I am riding.
85 MPH into a headwind can suck up some gas, I got 28 MPG in that case.
If I really take it easy, nothing above 55 MPH I can get 50 MPG.
Normal riding for me gets just under 40 MPG.
That's the thing, the bike WON'T run with the tuner. I had to take it out and plug the original harness back together to get it to run. Tryed it numerous times to determine the tuner is bad.

Bought the bike this way, and dealer didn't know anything about it. Found enough paperwork that came with the bike to deduce that I have the V&H bigshot longs, and a SE air intake. Plus the PC3 with O2 eliminators.

So somebody explain to me exacty what the O2 sensor eliminators are doing. I presume they are giving a constant slightly lean reading so the ECM richens it up a bit? Or no?

If I am only gonna' ever get 38 mpg, I can live with that, but maybe everybody is fibbin' a bit when they say they're getting 50...?

Old 09-08-2011, 04:24 PM
dtfly
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Talked to Dynojet today, they said from the sound of it, the tuner is bad. For $25 they will check it out and repair it if possible. Good service, I didn't even buy it new.... Also said I could ride the bike this way, it wouldn't hurt anything, as long as the O2 sensor eliminators are on it. Might just lose a little power for now.

Last edited by dtfly; 09-08-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-08-2011, 06:36 PM
Vibration Train
Advanced

I dont think anyone is really getting 50 plus on their softails. It's got to me optimal conditions.......down hill sections with wind at you back and no stop and go.

Old 09-08-2011, 06:58 PM
punisher660
Banned

On my stock 08 Heritage I average about 43mpg - that was based off of 2 fill ups when I actually clocked the mileage. I was carrying camping gear and going through the mountains though - I think when I baby it (60mph), no hills, no wind, etc. I can get 48mpg - but I rarely do.

If the stage one is really bothering you, I would find someone with an 08 stock Heritage and just trade the parts out strait across (cough cough)

Quick Reply: 08 Heritage with stage 1