Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

fatboy 7" headlight upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 05:22 PM
trnewman
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've read good things about Truck-lite LEDs. I think I'm going that route. About the same price as Kury.

Old 01-20-2012, 10:16 PM
astark
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I contacted Daniel Stern about upgrading the headlight on my 1998 Fatboy, and he sent me the following:

"The main problem you're up against is the optics in the stock headlamp.They're focused to give a pretty wide spread of light, but there's not enough seeing distance ahead. Put in a Cibie lens-reflector unit ($74.95) and an Osram 70/65w bulb ($22, maybe get a spare), aim the lamp carefully and correctly per http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html , and you'll find you're much better able to see at night."

I followed his advice, ordered through him, and could not be happier with my lighting now. The difference is amazing.

Old 01-21-2012, 01:24 AM
Joker_Hal
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by trnewman
I've read good things about Truck-lite LEDs. I think I'm going that route. About the same price as kury .

I was looking at those lights but have my concerns. I would think that they are made to go onto a larger vehicle so would take advantage of the additional available power. I am concerned that my bike would not provide enough power to properly power those lights.

They look about the same as what is on the Kuryakyn site and for about the same price. If you look under installs, there is a video comparing the stock to their headlights.

If you purchase and install them, please report back here on how they worked for you.

Old 01-21-2012, 09:25 AM
BrianG
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Joker_Hal
I was looking at those lights but have my concerns. I would think that they are made to go onto a larger vehicle so would take advantage of the additional available power. I am concerned that my bike would not provide enough power to properly power those lights.

They look about the same as what is on the Kuryakyn site and for about the same price. If you look under installs, there is a video comparing the stock to their headlights.

If you purchase and install them, please report back here on how they worked for you.
LEDs take far less power than incadescents

Old 01-21-2012, 09:38 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 on far less power. On average you can run 17 LED's to a similar incandescent bulbs and draw the same power.

Very similar to Christmas lights, you can string 40 of them together without taxing a 15 amp circuit but with incan... bulbs you can only use 3.

The HD LED's are expensive but they are on my wish list for future mods.

Old 01-21-2012, 11:56 AM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

It doesn't have to be MoCo, and certainly not that expensive!

Check these out:

http://www.customdynamics.com/motorc...iving%20Lights

Mimo.

Old 01-21-2012, 12:16 PM
2012Fatso
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just do an HID conversion. Ive done them one 3 of my previous bikes and i will do them on my 2012. Alot cheaper and super bright!

http://www.hidsrus.com/harley-davids...dlights-bulbs/

Old 01-21-2012, 12:47 PM
Brutus01
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trnewman
I've read good things about Truck-lite LEDs. I think I'm going that route. About the same price as Kury.
The LED that Kury has is the Truck-lite. Same with Custom Dynamics. They are just re-selling them.

Maybe its just me but I really don't like the look of the Truck Lite LED. I know its cheaper but I got my HD LED 20% off so it was basically $400.I just think the HD looks much better and as much money as we all spend already I don't want something on my bike that I am not crazy about the looks. Besides, since I have a denim black Lo, I was able to get the black headlight.