Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Had my dealer gap my rings... Grrrr!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 07:21 AM
blksoftail
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by harleycharlie1992
it makes it hard to install the wrist pin clips in my opinion. (which are a pain, in the first place). Also how do you know they positioned the ring gaps in the right places? soulds like a disaster just waiting to happen!!besides didn't the rings come with the pistons? usually, they are already set to a very good gap. dude buy yourself a good ring compressor, that can be used on bikes/air cooled motors, that disassemble from below. if you want to work on your motor, fine but use tools that will make the job right
The rings on the pistons from zippers were not gaped. I asked them before buying and they said I would need them gaped so I did.

When the guy started reading the note about the rings I was really about to blow and then just said to myself. **** I guess I will be removing them all and checking gaps anyway so their placement doesn't even matter anymore.

Plus if you looked into the cylinder you could see all kinds of fibers in the oil they had put in but they considered this clean? Come on guys...

Most likely the only ring compressor I will find will be one that I won't be able to use placing the piston from the bottom of the cylinder and be able to get it off as most are car compressor's with the handle attached.

I may try the pop sickle stick option and see how that goes.

Old 02-03-2012, 07:30 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 113 Posts
Default Each To Their Own!

it makes it hard to install the wrist pin clips in my opinion. (which are a pain, in the first place). Also how do you know they positioned the ring gaps in the right places? soulds like a disaster just waiting to happen!!besides didn't the rings come with the pistons? usually, they are already set to a very good gap. dude buy yourself a good ring compressor, that can be used on bikes/air cooled motors, that disassemble from below. if you want to work on your motor, fine but use tools that will make the job right
100% dead on the money! There is a saying - tools make the mechanic.
Originally Posted by ghostrider69
Well heck, now I find out. After almost thirty years and dozens of engine builds someone tells me it's a bad idea, and to think, none of the engines I have ever built developed ring problems.
There are lots of ways to skin a cat! For the average mechanic, using the tool (notice I didn't specify the correct tool) made for the job is usually the easiest. The correct tool for the job makes the job easier. Tricks of the trade are priceless!

Old 02-03-2012, 08:07 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,925 Likes on 4,716 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostrider69
Well heck, now I find out. After almost thirty years and dozens of engine builds someone tells me it's a bad idea, and to think, none of the engines I have ever built developed ring problems.
not wanting to offend, but you would think after 30 years and dozens of builds, you would have bought the correct tool for the job. as a professional mechanic myself, I find it very advantagous to use the tools designed for the repair to ensure a good and long lasting repair. do what you want, but to the OP, who doesn't seem to have as much experience as, say you, the hose clamp is a very bad idea

Last edited by harleycharlie1992; 02-03-2012 at 08:31 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 08:11 AM
blksoftail
Cruiser

not wanting to offend, but you would think after 30 years and dozens of builds, you would have bought the correct tool for the job. as a professional mechanic myself, find it very advantagous to use the tools designed for the repair to ensure a good and long lasting repair. do what you want, but to the OP, who doesn't seem to have as much experience as, say you, the hose clamp is a very bad idea
I appreciate your advise. I can see the issues with the hose clamp.
I also really don't want to spend $150 for a tool I will never use again.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:30 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain

Originally Posted by blksoftail
I appreciate your advise. I can see the issues with the hose clamp.
I also really don't want to spend $150 for a tool I will never use again.
is there someone you can borrow one from? I understand that train of thought, I have done that a number of times!!

Old 02-03-2012, 09:09 AM
blksoftail
Cruiser

is there someone you can borrow one from? I understand that train of thought, I have done that a number of times!!
Not really. I will figure it out and if I have to I'll buy the tool.
Checking the rings and making sure they are right will be my first task.
Cleaning everything and getting the piston on the next.

Hopefully this weekend I'll get it on. I will post back.
I just hope that guy didn't make any marks in the cylinder trying to pound the piston in when it wasn't even started in the bore yet. That still amazes me...

Old 02-03-2012, 09:18 AM
o/d
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

installing the piston with rings into the cylinder is the easy way of doing it from what i've seen on other engines. i have not done a harley motor like this, but have on other bikes.

rings on piston. one circlip installed in piston. piston installed into cylinder on bench with rings in proper orientation just far enough to leave piston pin hole exposed. drop cylinder down onto studs, install piston pin & last circlip.

much easier then holding everything by hand, compressing the rings, getting them aligned in proper orientation & dropping the cylinder onto a piston that is already installed on the rod IMO.

one thing i have heard of with rings from a few pros i trust is once the rings have been installed in the piston & are removed, they should be replaced due to potential stress cracks that could lead to a broken ring.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:22 AM
blksoftail
Cruiser

Originally Posted by o/d
installing the piston with rings into the cylinder is the easy way of doing it from what i've seen on other engines. i have not done a harley motor like this, but have on other bikes.

rings on piston. one circlip installed in piston. piston installed into cylinder on bench with rings in proper orientation just far enough to leave piston pin hole exposed. drop cylinder down onto studs, install piston pin & last circlip.

much easier then holding everything by hand, compressing the rings, getting them aligned in proper orientation & dropping the cylinder onto a piston that is already installed on the rod IMO.

one thing i have heard of with rings from a few pros i trust is once the rings have been installed in the piston & are removed, they should be replaced due to potential stress cracks that could lead to a broken ring.
Seriously?
So just putting them in and taking them right back out will cause stress?
Now on a piston that was used in a running engine I could see this but to just put a piston in a bore and take it right back out I find that hard to believe.

Can anyone else confirm this?
That now means my rings are all in need of replacement???

Oh you mean taken off the piston... Hmmmm great.
Now I either have to trust they did the job correctly or risk my rings...
this bites!

Last edited by blksoftail; 02-03-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 09:23 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain

Not really. I will figure it out and if I have to I'll buy the tool.
Checking the rings and making sure they are right will be my first task.
Cleaning everything and getting the piston on the next.

Hopefully this weekend I'll get it on. I will post back.
I just hope that guy didn't make any marks in the cylinder trying to pound the piston in when it wasn't even started in the bore yet. That still amazes me...
you should have asked him if he had a bigger hammer!!! I always put my pistons in with a 5lb sledge.never had one hang up on a ring yet!!!

Old 02-03-2012, 09:25 AM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain

Seriously?
So just putting them in and taking them right back out will cause stress?
Now on a piston that was used in a running engine I could see this but to just put a piston in a bore and take it right back out I find that hard to believe.

Can anyone else confirm this?
That now means my rings are all in need of replacement???
no you'll be just fine, never seen that happen ever. I think the poster is saying if the ring got stretched too much putting it on the piston. they are pretty tough, don't worry

Quick Reply: Had my dealer gap my rings... Grrrr!