Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

opinions on oil leak repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 12:36 PM
o/d
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Default opinions on oil leak repair

hoping i could get some input.

i have had an oil leak for a while now that is coming from behind the primary cover.

pulled the primary off & i am trying to make sure i replace the defective seal.
not as easy as i thought it would be determining where the leak is coming from.

so far i'm thinking it's the shift shaft seal. the other suspect would be the out put shaft seal. but i would need to remove the pulley to access that one and i don't have the tools to do that yet.

questions:

how is the shifter shaft seal removed?

does anyone know an alternative to the harley locking tool to remove the pulley?

picture of how things looked after pulling the primary before cleaning.

i've also been having an electrical problem. i started this thread a while back.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/softa...er-relays.html

still the same deal - relay fails after a couple thousand miles.

i have the starter motor out & was going to add a solenoid switch & look into having it rebuilt.

any input on that would be appreciated too

Old 02-21-2012, 02:16 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,079 Likes on 1,528 Posts

You are not going to like my response but, from my own experience with innner primary leaks, I would replace everything from the inner primary bearing/seal/race (inn front of the pulley) and everything behind the pulley, i.e., the mainshaft/5th gear seal (probably the source of the leak), quad seal, mainshaft seal, mainshaft seal spacer and the mainshaft/5th gear seal. It is hard to tell from the picture but the mainshaft/5th gear seal is the likely source of the leak. I can't tell from the photo but the inner primary race will "walk" into the mainshaft/5th gear seal and cause the leak. I would also replace the starter jackshaft seal in the primary case as well as the shifter seal.

You can pull the shifter seal by drilling a small hole in the metal case and threading in a small self tapping screw. Grab the screw with pliers or vise grips and pop it out.

I know, it all sounds like a major PITA but the parts are cheap and you are halfway there. I can tell you from personal experience about the sick feeling you get the first time you ride and park the bike after completing that dirty work and seeing that little annoying drop of oil on the floor knowing that you will be going back in sooner or later.

You will need to make or purchase the special socket and "donut" to remove the trans pulley nut. You will have to remove the inner primary race, either with a puller or some use a dremel tool to grind a notch (very carefully so as not to nick the mainshaft? and then hit the notch with a chisel and split it. It is very brittle and will break and fall off. I don't like this approach; banging on the mainshaft with a hammer doesn't appeal to me but if the mainshft is supported with a bottle jack or something similar, it's probably OK. You will need to make or purchase the inner race installation tool. There is a removal/installation tool available on Ebay; cheapest one I have found.

I have attached a link to a pnoto documented drive belt replacement that should help you understand the work and tools involved in case you are not familiar with them. There are posts on other forums that I can link you to if you like; PM me if interested.

http://harleyhog.freewebsitehosting....nstall%204.htm

Electrical problems are not my long suit but it sounds like you have a loose or bad ground or your starter is on its last leg.

EDIT: You can lock the trans to remove the pulley, or purchase the lock. I think page 5 of the linked tutorial shows how to lock the tranny.

Last edited by djl; 02-21-2012 at 04:29 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 03:09 PM
1CdnHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It does look like the shifter shaft seal, but unfortunately the pulley will sling oil around and make it hard to determine which seal(s) could be also be contributing. As djl mentioned, if you are not sure, replacing all of them is one way to eliminate any doubt, especially if you are 'in that far'. I would start by cleaning it up as best you can. The shifter shaft, starter pinion shaft, IPB seal need to be replaced for sure at this point.
I've noticed the trans main seal will leak if the bike is on the side stand but not while vertical as the volume of oil will be higher in the trans on the main drive gear side, so once you've got it clean, leave it over night on the side stand. ( what is the level of your trans fluid? ) It's a bit of a pain to check that area, you would have to get the bike up in the air and get some light in there.
I don't see any oil on the front of the pulley, is there any indication of oil on the back of the pulley? Is the pulley loose at all? ( from a crushed spacer ).

Old 02-21-2012, 04:21 PM
1CdnHD
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Regarding your relay, pull the cover off your solenoid and inspect the contact disc, probably corroded and drawing too much current through your relay.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:15 PM
o/d
Tourer

Originally Posted by djl
You are not going to like my response but, from my own experience with innner primary leaks, I would replace everything from the inner primary bearing/seal/race (inn front of the pulley) and everything behind the pulley, i.e., the mainshaft/5th gear seal (probably the source of the leak), quad seal, mainshaft seal, mainshaft seal spacer and the mainshaft/5th gear seal. It is hard to tell from the picture but the mainshaft/5th gear seal is the likely source of the leak. I can't tell from the photo but the inner primary race will "walk" into the mainshaft/5th gear seal and cause the leak. I would also replace the starter jackshaft seal in the primary case as well as the shifter seal.

You can pull the shifter seal by drilling a small hole in the metal case and threading in a small self tapping screw. Grab the screw with pliers or vise grips and pop it out.

I know, it all sounds like a major PITA but the parts are cheap and you are halfway there. I can tell you from personal experience about the sick feeling you get the first time you ride and park the bike after completing that dirty work and seeing that little annoying drop of oil on the floor knowing that you will be going back in sooner or later.

You will need to make or purchase the special socket and "donut" to remove the trans pulley nut. You will have to remove the inner primary race, either with a puller or some use a dremel tool to grind a notch (very carefully so as not to nick the mainshaft? and then hit the notch with a chisel and split it. It is very brittle and will break and fall off. I don't like this approach; banging on the mainshaft with a hammer doesn't appeal to me but if the mainshft is supported with a bottle jack or something similar, it's probably OK. You will need to make or purchase the inner race installation tool. There is a removal/installation tool available on Ebay; cheapest one I have found.

I have attached a link to a pnoto documented drive belt replacement that should help you understand the work and tools involved in case you are not familiar with them. There are posts on other forums that I can link you to if you like; PM me if interested.

http://harleyhog.freewebsitehosting....nstall%204.htm

Electrical problems are not my long suit but it sounds like you have a loose or bad ground or your starter is on its last leg.

EDIT: You can lock the trans to remove the pulley, or purchase the lock. I think page 5 of the linked tutorial shows how to lock the tranny.
can't thank you enough for the help.

i was planning on replacing all the seals i can access right now. and i really want to get the pulley off to do the mainshaft seal.

thanks for confirming the method of removal of the shift shaft seal - that's what i was planning. will change tranny fluid if it gets contaminated.

going to look into what's involved with the removing the inner race of the mainshaft bearing and figure out how i am going to get the pulley off.

will also check the links you posted.

once again - i really appreciate the help

here she is cleaned up a bit.
it's 10 years to the month i bought her home from the dealer haha

Old 02-21-2012, 05:20 PM
Blk and Chrome
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Whatever sealis leaking it will be the cleanest around that seal. I have to sa I go along with DJL replace everything when you are there. been there done that and just changed the one seal and only to see another leak.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:24 PM
o/d
Tourer

Originally Posted by 1CdnHD
It does look like the shifter shaft seal, but unfortunately the pulley will sling oil around and make it hard to determine which seal(s) could be also be contributing. As djl mentioned, if you are not sure, replacing all of them is one way to eliminate any doubt, especially if you are 'in that far'. I would start by cleaning it up as best you can. The shifter shaft, starter pinion shaft, IPB seal need to be replaced for sure at this point.
I've noticed the trans main seal will leak if the bike is on the side stand but not while vertical as the volume of oil will be higher in the trans on the main drive gear side, so once you've got it clean, leave it over night on the side stand. ( what is the level of your trans fluid? ) It's a bit of a pain to check that area, you would have to get the bike up in the air and get some light in there.
I don't see any oil on the front of the pulley, is there any indication of oil on the back of the pulley? Is the pulley loose at all? ( from a crushed spacer ).
Originally Posted by 1CdnHD
Regarding your relay, pull the cover off your solenoid and inspect the contact disc, probably corroded and drawing too much current through your relay.
that's my fear. it could be shift shaft or could be getting slung around by the pulley.

pulley was clean as far as i can see - it may be coated with oil underneath. i'm hoping once i get the pulley off i will be able to tell if that seal is bad. still will replace it while pulley is off.

will pull the starter apart soon & have a look.

thanks for the help

Old 02-22-2012, 09:35 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

O/D,
I have attached pics of the main tools you will need and links to the cheapest places I have found to purchase.

Mainshaft bearing race R/R tool
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Harley-Big-T...sories&vxp=mtr

Transmission Pulley Locking Tool
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...506.m270.l1313

Mainshaft/Trans Pulley Wrench
http://motors.shop.ebay.com/i.html?_...506.m270.l1313

Suggest that you replace the inner bearing race with the SnS race as it is tapered and will not walk.

http://www.cheapcycleparts.com/1-all...y+bearing+race

BTW, the trans pulley can be a real bitch to break loose. I have a 3/4" impact wrench and have not had any trouble but some other forum members have had holy hell getting it to break loose. Might consider some PB Blaster a day or two ahead of when you want to try and break it loose. Application of a little heat might also help.

Attached Thumbnails opinions on oil leak repair-trans-pulley-wrench.jpg   opinions on oil leak repair-trans-pulley-locking-tool.jpg   opinions on oil leak repair-mainshaft-bearing-race-r_rtool.jpg  

Last edited by djl; 02-22-2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:17 PM
o/d
Tourer

thanks again djl

i have a friend who made the socket for the mainshaft nut.
i was going to try breaking it loose by just standing on the rear brake 1st. if that doesn't work i will need to look into the pulley locking tool or locking the tranny.

i appreciate the links. especially for the SnS race.

i am curious as to why the suggestion to replace the inner primary bearing & race. i need to get a better inspection, but if it looks ok, any harm in leaving it be?

my thinking is that even if it does fail, i can get to it pretty easy down the road.

i'm sure you know better than me, so i will price it out. just thinking it's gonna be $ from the dealership.

fwiw, the bike has 52,000 miles on it.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:16 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

The reason I suggest replacing the inner race because it is fairly common with the early models for the inner race to "walk" in on the mainshaft/5th gear seal causing a leak and your mileage is about right. It's just a suggestion and something to check now rather than putting it back together only to see that you still have a leak. Check the gap between the race and the seal. There should be a gap of at least .125", could be a bit more but if the gap is less, the horseshoe piece of the puller tool won't fit behind the race. That is a clear indication that the race had walked and although not into the mainshaft/5th gear seal yet, it will get there eventually and cause a leak. If there is no gap, the race is very likely the source of the leak. I am just suggesting that you be sure that the shifter shaft seal is the only source of the leak. If you are sure, replace the inner primary bearing and seal and button her up.

If you do install the SnS race, be careful. When the taper tightens up, stop. They are very brittle and I broke the first one I installed.

If you have access to a 3/4" electric or air impact wrench and soak the pullet nut/shaft with PB Blaster for 24-48 hours before, you might get lucky and break it loose by locking down the rear brake but it will take luck. If you can't figure out how to lock the trans, I have the pulley locking tool that I can mail to you if you pay postage and agree to replace the tool if you damage or break it.

Last edited by djl; 02-28-2012 at 04:24 PM.

Quick Reply: opinions on oil leak repair