Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2001 FXSTB (night train) advice on purchase

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2012, 10:13 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

If the cam shoe tensioners have not been done yet go with the Screamin' Eagle upgrade. It is $429 for the parts for that but labor is pricey either way you do it. You can do it without pulling the heads and getting new adjustable pushrods, or by pulling the heads and using the existing pushrods.

The labor on the bike will be more expensive than the parts I would imagine. The oil leak really depends on what it is. If you want to check if it is the drain plug the drain plug is on the exhaust side at the back of the frame.

With 40k unless the price is great I would keep on looking for a low mileage garage queen. Just my .02.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:20 AM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have to replace, then split the cost. THEN, install the kit, or gear drives and put a better cam in.

Stop by the the Night Train pic thread and say hi, a lot of good guys over there.

Old 03-28-2012, 10:51 AM
Lundee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Just replace the shoes with the same ones but, new. $150 w/ labor. They made it 40k a new set wil make it just as long if not longer. If the fork seals are not leaking, leave them alone. Transmission drain plug is right between the shocks, could be where the oil on them came from. Congrats! Best bike harley made (next to the bad boy) but I'm biased.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:32 AM
sidmuer
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hogpro
If the cam shoe tensioners have not been done yet go with the Screamin' Eagle upgrade. It is $429 for the parts for that but labor is pricey either way you do it. You can do it without pulling the heads and getting new adjustable pushrods, or by pulling the heads and using the existing pushrods.

The labor on the bike will be more expensive than the parts I would imagine. The oil leak really depends on what it is. If you want to check if it is the drain plug the drain plug is on the exhaust side at the back of the frame.

With 40k unless the price is great I would keep on looking for a low mileage garage queen. Just my .02.
I guess I can mention it. We agreed on 6K cert. with a checkup at the HD delaer. With a bunch of extras, bags, couple windshields, original pipes, etc...
I wasn't even thinking new bike. I was happy with my Honda Shadow 750 ( yes really! I was! hahah ) But I came across the ad, talked a bit with the seller, went out to see it, and really, anymore $$ I couldn't have done it. So I posted my Shadow for sale, and it sold in TWO days. So now, my bike is sold, and have bought the other bike on a handshake as long as she checks out at the dealer. The seller seems like a all around nice guy in general.

Originally Posted by Branner
If you have to replace, then split the cost. THEN, install the kit, or gear drives and put a better cam in.

Stop by the the Night Train pic thread and say hi, a lot of good guys over there.
As soon as I have her, I will, and drop some pics in there too!
but....
AHHH! so it begins.... Now, bigger Cams, gear drive... new lifters, etc.. etc... haha... I gotta take it sllooooow.... ( not because I want to... cost wise that is )

If I do the Screaming Eagle Hydraulic Cam Chain Tensioner and High-Flow Oil Pump Upgrade Kit, is it much more to go GEAR drive? Do those go hand in hand? If the Cam shoes are gone, I am seriously considering this upgrade, and if the gear drive option is only another $100, then it's a no brainer.

Originally Posted by Lundee
Just replace the shoes with the same ones but, new. $150 w/ labor. They made it 40k a new set wil make it just as long if not longer. If the fork seals are not leaking, leave them alone. Transmission drain plug is right between the shocks, could be where the oil on them came from. Congrats! Best bike harley made (next to the bad boy) but I'm biased.
This is what I am thinking for now... more cost effective.
The seller genuinely seems to like his harleys, and took well care of her for sure. He mentioned that it's had all proper service, etc... He mentions how chain cam tension is done every 10K miles.
I will look at the HD service history with him. For all I know, it might all be already done!

Old 03-28-2012, 11:44 AM
Tx_Outlaw
Elite HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

$0k on an 11 year old bike is not high mileage. Seems as tho you've found a great deal. If all clears with the mechanic and the service history is true to the seller's word, I'd jump all over that deal!
As others have said, Welcome to the world of Night Trains! See you on the other side.......

Old 03-28-2012, 01:27 PM
sidmuer
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Tx_Outlaw
$0k on an 11 year old bike is not high mileage. Seems as tho you've found a great deal. If all clears with the mechanic and the service history is true to the seller's word, I'd jump all over that deal!
As others have said, Welcome to the world of Night Trains! See you on the other side.......
ya, the seller is a nice guy.
He said he had one guy want to buy it so he can chop it up, use the engine, etc... and he wouldn't sell it to him because it was his first harley ( he had it since new ) and wants to see it get used not killed, and I've had no reason to doubt him. So if the service history is all good, I'm sold. Well, technically it's a done deal already as long as it all pans out.
It's always tough getting a new bike. Esp so unexpected for me. But really exciting, considering the bike!

Old 03-28-2012, 02:17 PM
DC_Night_Train
Cruiser

Let's get some pictures once you get a chance! Welcome.

Old 03-28-2012, 02:34 PM
sidmuer
6th Gear

so I did some looking..
and it seems for the screamin' eagle hydraulic upgrade and new oil pump I need some other parts to go with it:

1:
25284-11
• Harley-Davidson
$423.44
SKU: HD-25284-11
Price: $423.44
KIT-CAM PLATE,HYBRID,W/HI

2:
25285-08
• Harley-Davidson
$19.96
SKU: HD-25285-08
Price: $19.96
KIT, CAM SPACERS

3:
17045-99D
• Harley-Davidson
$82.74
SKU: HD-17045-99D
Price: $82.74
CAM SERVICE GASKET KIT, 1

4:
25533-99A
• Harley-Davidson
$5.46
SKU: HD-25533-99A
Price: $5.46
CAM DRIVE GEAR RETENTION

Then I also read this:

"This is also a perfect opportunity to install the Screamin’ EagleŽ High-Performance Inner Cam Bearing Kit, P/N 24017-10, which provides an increased load capacity and extends the engine life."

So I'd like this as well since it's all happening there....

24017-10
• Harley-Davidson
$11.96
SKU: HD-24017-10
Price: $11.96
KIT-CAM BEARING ASY,TC88(

Approx $550 in parts...
and then the labor... Which I am betting will be a cool $500 alone.

Am I missing anything??

EDIT:
I just also got a recommendation to do the push rods while I'm there.
That's another $130 or so!
And this is all without labor.
I think I should just let the dealer open her up, and if all is well for now, just leave it and enjoy the ride for the next 10K....

Last edited by sidmuer; 03-28-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-28-2012, 03:13 PM
magna
Stellar HDF Member
Received 236 Likes on 145 Posts

I might be wrong on this but I think some guys on here have said that the earlier bearings were ok and it was bikes made from 03 - 06 that have a cheaper crap bearing, not That it's going to cost you much in the great scheme of things.

Old 03-28-2012, 03:44 PM
Pudge211
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have just bought an 06' Train last Oct and just did heads, Big Bore and cams in it. the cam shoes were still like new and the previous owner swore to me he changed oil every 2k miles.. From the looks of the cams, shoes etc he took great care in this bike. My motor guy suggested cam shoes etc. but after looking at them called and told me the ones in there were in good shape, no need to replace and to check them again at the next 10,000 mile check up. Bike has 10,100 miles on it. Welcome to the Madness

Quick Reply: 2001 FXSTB (night train) advice on purchase