Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1000 mile "break in service" - is it necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 01:02 PM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,221 Likes on 545 Posts

Step 1 - find another servicing dealer.

You can perform all the services yourself.

They're bullying you into paying for their services. You performing your own work will not void your warranty. Not having the service done at all will void a warranty if you have failure, but they're playing head games.

Old 04-13-2012, 01:11 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I think the 1000 mile service is the most important simply because they can inspect everything. Give it a good once over. See if any bolts or nuts were tightened properly,drain oil and inspect for any irregularities,metal in oil etc. Cables,steering neck,brakes. Jmo

Old 04-13-2012, 04:56 PM
coleslaw140
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
I think the 1000 mile service is the most important simply because they can inspect everything. Give it a good once over. See if any bolts or nuts were tightened properly,drain oil and inspect for any irregularities,metal in oil etc. Cables,steering neck,brakes. Jmo
yeah.. first time the bike has been seriously looked at by a tech - I have no problem doing the 2500 interval services

I am just a little ticked off b/c I bought the bike two weeks ago and tried to get them to include this is in the deal and they wouldnt

Old 04-13-2012, 05:37 PM
Totally Bored
Road Captain

I can afford to pay the $350 but it is such a pain in the butt to drop it off and pick it up that I just do it myself.

Originally Posted by Iceman24
$60 service manual + $35 oil/filter + cable lube + tools + beer = $95 fun afternoon
Absolutely. Read a bunch of threads on the topic and a few videos and it was a piece of cake. Took a couple hours. I have a 27" TV in the garage and did it with my brother while watching the Yankees. Good Times !!!

Old 04-13-2012, 06:04 PM
Mr.Softy
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,202 Likes on 713 Posts

Originally Posted by coleslaw140
yeah.. first time the bike has been seriously looked at by a tech - I have no problem doing the 2500 interval services

I am just a little ticked off b/c I bought the bike two weeks ago and tried to get them to include this is in the deal and they wouldnt

I am curious what dealer you are doing business with so I can avoid them. I would install the exhaust system myself and tell them to go pack salt. If you keep receipts for any materials used for the servicing I think that is all you need to do. If I am wrong someone chime in here I wouldn't want the OP having problems because of this advice. Getting a service manual is money well spent. I also thought there was a law against warranties being voided because you do the work yourself? I would find a better dealer or a good indy for future work. But that's just me.

Old 04-13-2012, 06:15 PM
NAILIT RK
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

So would self performing the break in service void the warranty? How do you document that the proper service has been performed if there were to be an issue? The last thing I would want to happen is something to go bad within my warranty period and not get it fixed because I didnt get the service done at a HD stealership

well then, pony up and take it to the dealer!

Old 04-13-2012, 06:17 PM
NAILIT RK
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well then screw the dealer and do it yourself...

Old 04-13-2012, 06:46 PM
eagle4u
Advanced

Not sure what to do.. they are already robbing me because they said that if I installed my new V&H BSS myself it would void the warranty and that they wouldn't do the dyno tune.
The service tech is using scare tactics to get extra $$ from you. Warranty being voided because you added V&H yourself is crap !
You need to speak to the Service Manager and refer them to the "Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act" Title 15, Section 2302

That being said, you will probably be better off finding another dealer who has morals.

I plan to doing stage one myself, changing out the fluids myself and having the dealer check the rest.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:48 PM
wanabe
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

absolutely you want to get that oil outta there- during break in you could have plenty of junk in the oil...
the only times my bike has seen a dealer were
1. on the road when i had a short in wiring and blew the rear lights/ horn fuse, and
2. for new tires- they came and picked it up and then brought it back. they even detailed it without extra charge.
two different dealers and both were great experiences for me... i know that there are some dealers that arent as great, but if you check with owners in your area you prob can find a good one.

Old 04-13-2012, 07:54 PM
wildey
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Living up north has its advantages here in Northern Mi. Gildners HD in Westbranch only charges $55 hr and its 90 min to do the 1,000 mile check if I do all my own fluids.

So I agree that the first 1000 to me is more critical so for $85 I will let them do it and I can wait for it.

Can't go wrong on 85 bucks. I will do my fluids and clutch at home. Besides I don't want oil on my clutch cable Dry Slide for me or any of the other dry lubes

Quick Reply: 1000 mile "break in service" - is it necessary?