Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This can't be right.....is it? 40mph fighting bike to keep straight

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2012, 08:31 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Honestly, I can't remember seeing one that rode dead center. My last bike rode to the left and my current bike rides to the right. As long as it's staying on the pulley or the sides of it aren't showing signs of wear I say it's good. I asked the head mechanic and service manager about my current bike the day I picked it up and they both told me it's normal if it runs on the inside or outside of the pulley and that it didn't have to be dead center.

Old 05-19-2012, 06:05 AM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

have to agree with GR69, one side or the other shouldn't make a difference as long as the measurements on the axle to pivot bolt are the same. you would have to look at the frt sprocket and see if the belt was running to the same side as the rear sprocket. and other words if the belt is running up against the same side, it most likely is straight, if its running opposite sides and the axle to arm bolt measurement is correct, the frame is bent or the mounting of the eng/trans assy is whacked.

l

/

\

Old 05-19-2012, 10:32 AM
WalterM817
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would check the swing arm bearings or bushings to see if they are worn. If so they could have you dog legging it down the road. I do not know a lot about the soft tail line but have seen this problem with other bikes.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:53 AM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm so sick of this damn bike I'm just going to sell it once the title shows up. Get a fatboy for this fat boy!

The rear clicks and squeaks when I sit on it the front brake now clicks after I did a speed bleeder job the front forks bind up when I force it up and down.

Thanks you guys for all your help!

Old 05-19-2012, 04:51 PM
imrotton2
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

do the rear wheel bearings seem ok or is there any slop(excess movement)...when i bent my rear axel, the bearings made a clicking sound... i bent 3 axels and got to know that sound

Old 05-19-2012, 06:26 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by CSS_FXD
I'm so sick of this damn bike I'm just going to sell it once the title shows up. Get a fatboy for this fat boy!

The rear clicks and squeaks when I sit on it the front brake now clicks after I did a speed bleeder job the front forks bind up when I force it up and down.

my 07 FB clicks/grunts when i sit down on it.. its always done it in certain temps and humidity level.. never give it no mind really.. as far as i know theres nothing to grease swing arm wise. if someone knows different please let us know..

i wonder why they never put grease fittings in the swing arm for the bushings.. i would have to imagine the swing arm takes more of a beating then the fork head bearings do. has anyone done this ?

Old 05-19-2012, 06:44 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by TORQUEY
Long shot: also measure rear wheel alignment, making certain that that axle is equidistant on both sides.
I already said that above..

Old 05-19-2012, 06:51 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

Originally Posted by CSS_FXD

Naw,,, some FB have the front tire that is not in line and will be worse then than what U have..

U just need to get Ur bike checked out by some who knows what they are doing and fix it...

Thats the problem some times buying used, lot of members thing they are getting a good deal when they are really only getting someone else's HeadAche....

And why I only buy new bikes unless I know the prev owner ( I've bought 3 that way without getting burnt)..

Old 05-19-2012, 07:32 PM
FroggyFatBoy
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by oct1949
Naw,,, some FB have the front tire that is not in line and will be worse then than what U have..

U just need to get Ur bike checked out by some who knows what they are doing and fix it...

Thats the problem some times buying used, lot of members thing they are getting a good deal when they are really only getting someone else's HeadAche....

And why I only buy new bikes unless I know the prev owner ( I've bought 3 that way without getting burnt)..

Thats a big misnomer like the solid frt wheels causing problems in the wind.
I have a 07 FB with the offset frt wheel and it has no effect on the handling of the bike whatsoever.. i do get some ever so slight coast down shimmy at 40 mph or so, but i'm pretty sure its that crap *** chopped dunlop tire hd put on the frt. hell the rear tire chopped also and couldn't wait to get it off. it tracks straight and goes straight down the road.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:21 PM
CSS_FXD
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok guys had some time to "cool off" and reconsider ditching the train so quick it was raining all day so I had some time to play in the garage. I polished her up so that made me fall in love all over again. Also changed my trans and primary oil too glad i did they were nasty old. Anyway I did pick up some liquid wrench silicon spray and hit my shocks in the rear with it. Rear end is now silent no more clicks creeks nothing. Rear end is also even measurement wise too. I did find my tire psi was 32 front 42 rear HD says 30 front 40 rear so I dropped it down but have yet to test ride. Another thing when on the jack today I grabbed the front end and I have some play still in the neck not a lot but I can move the tree back and forth some but I fear If I tighten up anymore my steering will be too stiff. Another thing the rear tire is pretty low on tread enuff to last this year but getting low and it is a 200/50 NOT a 200/55 that comes stock if that might explain my slight side to side swaying feeling. Like I said its not that bad really just odd.

Quick Reply: This can't be right.....is it? 40mph fighting bike to keep straight