Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

in search of the best tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2012, 04:52 PM
adamc9409
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default in search of the best tires

Hello Everyone. I am new to this forum, but have owned my 2005 HD Softail fxstd since 2010. I am looking for your opinion on tires.

I have had, in 2 years, 5 Dunlop tires on my bike. I have only paid for 2 of them. Every tire I have had on the front AND rear has had "Crowning" issues...atleast that is what the dealer calls it. I call it Dry Rotting.

My front tire has literally seperated down the side where the tread meets the sidewall. I do not really want to go back to a dunlop tire on my bike, but everyone says that is the best tire for this bike.

Does anyone else have experience with any other tires? handling? Ride? etc. If so, please shed some of your knowledge on me. I greatly appreciate anyone who takes the time to read and respond to this post.

Thank you,

Rain Man

Old 08-08-2012, 05:25 PM
fdb2007
Road Master

About the only agreement you will get on the forum is very few like Dunlops. I have never experienced a failure like you described with Dunlops and I have logged a lot of miles on them. I averaged about 5.5K miles on a rear and close to 20K on a front on both a Road King and a Heritage A lotta folks here are big on Metzlers. My personal experience with them on a Heritage they only marginally wore better than a Dunlop and I got a little over 6K on a rear. I didn't notice the big handling difference over Dunlops other folks tout, but I am not one for generally pushing hard through corners. There is a lot of buzz about Michelin Commander IIs right now as they claim twice the mileage. I am running a set right now and only have about 2K so I can't speak to mileage. Again a lot of talk on improved handling, but personally I am not noticing it, but I don't ride that hard. I had some Avons on on Dyna years ago and I noticed the handling difference on them, but there is no comparing them on a Dyna to a heavy softail as far as mileage. Whatever you choose be meticulous about tire pressure. It is everything when it comes to wear and reliability. You are just going to have to choose and see what works best for you. This is right up there with asking what is the best motor oil. Good luck

Old 08-08-2012, 05:29 PM
Tracker56
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

"everyone says that is the best tire for this bike." Who is "everyone"? I don't, Dunlops have no life to them at all. I have Michelin Commander II's on my bike now and they ride and handle so much better than the Dunlops that come standard. Definitely check other options because Dunlop are just low bidders for a company contract as far as I'm concerned.

Old 08-08-2012, 05:45 PM
dansax
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

I can't say enough about the Pirelli Night Dragons. Make the stock Dunlops look like crap. Handling and ride are like night and day. I don't know how much mileage I'll get but I go for the ride and handling first.

Old 08-08-2012, 07:33 PM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One vote here for the Avon venom tires. But I must say any of the above mentioned tries are and outstanding replacement for Dunlops.

Old 08-08-2012, 09:17 PM
WVNightrain Rider
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ahve put a few hundred miles on my michelin commander 2 and am very impressed with it. If it get half the 24k miles they claim, I will be happy

Old 08-08-2012, 09:34 PM
2deuce
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run Avons on my Deuce, Cobra on the front, Storm Ultra II on the back. Best deal on tires I've found is WWW.sporttour.com.. Fellow Ohioian

Old 08-09-2012, 12:09 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 185 Likes on 146 Posts

My Dunlop Roadsmart radial is great for the rear. Not high mileage, but neither are any other performance tires. Given the price point of the last two tire deals, they are excellent, for me!

Old 08-09-2012, 01:11 AM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 816 Likes on 802 Posts

In 5+ yrs and 38k of miles I've had 4 Dunlops 401's on the rear and 2 - 401's on the front'

All the rears have lasted 10k and the front 20k and they all could have went more.

I have no problems with them them.

I have waiting in the garage two new Commanders II's to be mounted when I get around 40k on my bike.
Only reason I switched this time is the claim of 50% better mileage..

As in Oils, seat, pipes, ETC.... there is no BEST of anything U can put on or use for Ur bike..

U can only get what works the best for U and the way U ride..

Old 08-09-2012, 10:26 AM
blksoftail
Cruiser

Depends on what you want.
Mileage
Rain
Handling

Commander might have better mileage.
I think the Avon does better in the rain.
Handling, this one is definitely rider preference. I don't like a sudden fall when going into a turn. I like a very neutral feel hence a more round tire so I like the Avon's here. I also think on a groved road they track better.
Now if you like a quick turn in and a more V shaped tire the Metz 880 might be a better choice.
Wear on the Metz and Avon are probably going to be close to the same at least they have been for me riding 2 up often.
Dunlop makes a very good sport bike race tire but the stock tire has a lot to be desired on a Harley or a sport bike.

If you aren't a very aggressive rider, just about any tire will treat you fine. Find one with high mileage like the commander and try it out.

Quick Reply: in search of the best tires