Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why would anyone even think to buy a shotgun shock

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 05:13 PM
steamybob
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

Oh my God!! Roll on summer when the wallet can have a rest! Beach bars, Cholos, and now I need this bloody thing!! Looks like a fabulous mod - I aren't going to be able to resist. Phew, it all makes stopping smoking look easy!

Old 12-05-2012, 07:03 PM
trooper50
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HoggyMtnBreakdown
Dude! That's a wicked sick ride!

BTW, the wording in the title of this thread makes it sound negative, so I came in here up in arms, ready for a fight...but yeah, people wonder why we would pay "so much" until they actually put one one their bike...interesting, huh?
+1. English is my second language so I emmediatley figured I misread the title of this thread. Your bike looks great regardless... Pictures are definetley worth 1,000 words. Lol

Last edited by trooper50; 12-05-2012 at 07:36 PM.
Old 12-05-2012, 10:22 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a 2007 FXSTC. It rode pretty good stock when I got it, no complaints.

Last year I put Progressive 422's in the rear (set for the stock ride height) and Monotube cartridges in front. Rides much better all around, no complaints.

I'm sure the Shotguns are great, but I can't help but be reminded of the air shocks we put on the rear of our cars when we were in High school, and what a terrible ride they gave.

If I'm a set-and-forget type of rider, what would I gain by switching my 422's to a Shotgun setup?

Thanks

Old 12-05-2012, 10:59 PM
509Rider
Road Master

Originally Posted by drspencer

Last year I put Progressive 422's in the rear (set for the stock ride height) and Monotube cartridges in front. Rides much better all around, no complaints.

I'm sure the Shotguns are great, but I can't help but be reminded of the air shocks we put on the rear of our cars when we were in High school, and what a terrible ride they gave.

If I'm a set-and-forget type of rider, what would I gain by switching my 422's to a Shotgun setup?

Thanks
They ride like a Cadillac

Old 12-05-2012, 11:03 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 509Rider
They ride like a Cadillac
Having never experienced a Shotgun set up I'm in no position to argue, but how is it possible for an air shock to give a comfortable Cadillac-like ride?

Any air shock I've ever had in a car/truck was bumpy & rough, as were the stock air shocks of my 2011 FLHX.

Thanks

Old 12-05-2012, 11:08 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

drspencer, you are a perfect fit for the Shotgun since you now have the 422's. If you switched you will be upset with yourself for putting that money into the 422's and not putting that money towards the Shotgun. Personally, I am very happy with the fact I now have a system that I DON"T have to set and forget about it because with that kind of set up, you don't have much choice unless you want to keep having to pull over to adjust your ride. I have a different bike every time I get on it and the ride and road surfaces changes. Myself and a few guys went riding this past summer and we got deep back into some old country roads that went back and forth from good to terrible. The guys I was riding with kept falling behind and I had to keep slowing down. When we got to our destination they asked me how the hell I was able to ride like I did without getting beat to death. That was simple to answer and with only 2 words, the "Shotgun shock". I just kept reaching down when the road changed and I kept adjusting my air as I went along. I was able to adjust both the height and rebound on my bike with a simply flick of my switches and all done on the fly without the need to pull over or not even having to slow done. The Shotgun just eats up adverse road conditions and it's all done on the fly. There are MANY benefits to the Shotgun and it, IMHO, is worth every single penny. I and many of us on here has tons of mods to our bikes and as far as I can tell the Shotgun seems to be everyones favorite mod. That speaks volumes about this product and also JD's service and commitment to stand behind his product. Speaking for myself I have very little that is even stock left on my bike anymore and out of all of the mods I have, the Shotgun is my favorite and that was not easy for me to say or come to that conclusion. It just takes riding to a whole new level. I will never own another bike other than Softails and I will never have another bike that does not have the shotgun shock system on it either. The progressive monotubes are a great compliment to the Shotgun too, that I will admit to too.
steamybob? you will never regret your decision to buy, install and use the Shotgun, I promise you that from one brother to another. If anything it will bother you that you waited so long to do it. Listen guys, I'm not rich either!! I have been blessed with a good job but I'm not rich. I know the price tag is hard for some people to swing yet again, it is worth every single penny and I guess unless you ride a bike with the Shotgun on it you can't begin to imagine just how nice of a mod it is. I have no vested interest in the Shotgun. I get nothing in return for promoting it. I only know what it did for me and my bike and I just want to share that with other brothers who ride too.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:37 PM
509Rider
Road Master

Having never experienced a Shotgun set up I'm in no position to argue, but how is it possible for an air shock to give a comfortable Cadillac-like ride?

Any air shock I've ever had in a car/truck was bumpy & rough, as were the stock air shocks of my 2011 FLHX.

Thanks
It's quite possible as most 90 and newer caddys and Lincoln's both have factory air shocks. With that being said yes they ride great. Having the rebound adjustment allows you to make it run firm to super soft.

Old 12-06-2012, 09:39 AM
casbar
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ye Ha! My Shotguns are clearing UK customs as we speak! So won't be long now before I get my Christmas present! Standby for loads of installation questions, although may hold on until after Christmas to install

Old 12-06-2012, 10:56 AM
TheTroupe
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks
If you set the 422's at stock ride height, appropriate spring pre-load, and forget it there is no real gain in switching. I've ridden both and the Shotgun is best if you need/want to make changes for looks, two-up vs solo, etc.

Old 12-06-2012, 12:38 PM
tbonetony06
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Congratulations casbar!!! You are about to see and find out for yourself what all the talk is about with regards to the Shotgun here shortly. To get the full effect give yourself a few days to a week to get it figured out and find YOUR "sweet spot's". The only question or complaint you will have a few weeks from now is why you waited so long to do this. It just takes riding to a whole new level, or at least that is how it played out for me. The "ooohs and the ahsss" will start the very 1st time you take it out. It's just made riding for me to much more fun. After nearly 40 years of riding there was not much left out there for me to get all excited about......until I put the Shotgun on my bike. Now? It's like a new and different bike each and every time I get on it. I pretty much have my bike set up for solo so mine is usually slammed with just a tad of rebound. I put someone on the back, bang, add a little air and keep right on going. I have only had one female on the back of my bike all summer, my daughter, and she said it is just AWESOME back there now. She said she really relaxes now when riding and not always looking over my shoulder for bumps and pot holes in the road. She said that now she just sits back there and enjoys the ride. Yes, My Daughter!!! I don't get to see her much like I am used too so anytime I can grab her, throw her on the back and go have a beer and some riding together is just the best thing in the world for me. My Son? Yep, I let him take my bike and to go riding. Some people say I am crazy for letting a kid on my bike. I say I taught him how to ride in the dirt and it's now time to teach him to ride on the streets. I have a buddy who trusts me with his bike. I have a few times taken his bike so I could ride with the boy and teach him. Other times I let him go by himself or ride with others I trust will show him the "do's and the don'ts" while on a bike.
It's only a matter of time before he has his own bike so I don't want him getting hurt. I can always get another bike, I could never get another boy, especially like the Son I have now. If he was a bum and showed no respect, yes, he would never be on my bike but he is a good kid and he listens to me and trusts me so in turn I listen to him and I trust him. I could not live with myself if he ever got a street bike, took off and got hurt. There are still some good and respectful kids out there. I am lucky enough to have a boy just like that.

Quick Reply: Why would anyone even think to buy a shotgun shock