Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello and question on Sandy Flood damage/frame

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2013, 08:48 AM
rpmpit
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hello and question on Sandy Flood damage/frame

Hi. My name is Ralph and I've just recently joined the forum. I'm a mech engineer and have been working on cars & bikes (mostly cars) most of my life. I recently bought a '88 Heritage Softail FLST from a friend who lost his house (literally) during Hurricane Sandy. The bike was at a neighbors house that survived the storm. However, the bike was submerged for about an hour in salt water. My friend hosed off the bike with fresh water almost immediately. I'm having the motor redone by Harley and also having them look over the trans (also having them do the 25mm Heartland offset main shaft since I'm doing the 250 conversion). I'm going to completely dissassemble and rebuild the front suspension and replace all bearings, brake components and electrical components, including all wiring, circuit breakers, connectors, etc. Also new clutch, primary, etc. Basically, replacing or restoring everything on the bike. And since you're probably wondering why my buddy didn't go through his insurance to repair or replace the bike, he didn't have coverage on it.

Here's the question. A tech/mechanic at the Harley dealer told me his main concern (since I'm replacing everything else) would be the frame. He said he's heard of a process where they dip the frame in some kind of electrified fluid to reverse the rusting that could be happening internally. And since I'm stripping the bike, he would definitely do it. The manager of the service dept. is looking into it for me to see if he can find someone locally who could do it. Have any of you heard of this?? Any other suggestions?? Thanks in advance.

BTW, can you insert images directly from your computer or do I need to have them at another remote site? If so, what site do you guys use?

Old 02-18-2013, 08:35 PM
TXFXST04
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cant help you with the frame, but I use photobucket to host my pics, then you copy the direct link when posting so the image appears full size
Good luck with the bike

Old 02-18-2013, 09:38 PM
Bone Doc
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 10,866 Likes on 4,113 Posts

Welcome to HDForums. Sorry to hear about your friends losses. Hopefully everyone is alright.

Well, how about that. My first Harley was a new '88 FLST. It was the 3rd model year for the Heritage. They didn't even have the Classic (FLSTC) out yet. Believe it or not, I'm still partial to the Heritage. I'm riding a 2012 Heritage.

That is quite an undertaking you are planning. I wish you the best with it. I believe the HD tech/mechanic was referring to an "oxide conversion process." It is the use of a chemical or solvent (of which there are several) that converts iron(III) oxide or rust (Fe2O3) to a stable compound that is not corrosive to metals, in your case, steel. The chemicals or solvents are loosely referred to as 'rust removers'.

Given the fact that the motorcycle was submerged under salt water I would highly recommend any process to reverse and prevent future rust formation on the inside of the frame, or more specifically, the inaccessible areas of the frame. I do not know the exact process or how available it is nor do I know the cost.

Regarding your other question about uploading pictures: I, too, use photobucket although other sites exist; flickr, tinypic and picasa are a few.

Good luck

Old 02-19-2013, 11:18 AM
rpmpit
Cruiser

Thanks for your replies TXFXST04 & Bone Doc.

I found a few interesting things over the weekend. Electrolysis is an effective way to remove rust, but not necessarily salt. I'm pretty sure this is what the tech was referring to. To your point, Bone Doc, I was speaking to a few of the guys I work with who are "boat" guys. They use a product called Salt Away to clean any and all metallic surfaces after their boats are exposed to salt water. Looked it up and it looks like exactly what I need. So I'm going to rinse the frame thoroughly with fresh water, trying to get into every opening. Then submerge the frame in a warm bath of Salt Away for a certain amount of time. Then rinse it completely and allow it to completely dry out. Then I'm going to use POR-15 to coat the inside of the frame - pour it into any hole and slosh it around in there until I feel like I've achieved a good protective coating.

What do you guys think??

Old 02-19-2013, 11:48 AM
DDuess
Road Captain

I think sealing the internals of the frame will only seal in any contaminates and hold moisture that exists with them. The salt away is what I was going to recommend having seen what it can do for a boat and boat engine.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:53 AM
rpmpit
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DDuess
I think sealing the internals of the frame will only seal in any contaminates and hold moisture that exists with them. The salt away is what I was going to recommend having seen what it can do for a boat and boat engine.

Sealing the internals? Are you referring to the POR-15?

Old 02-19-2013, 04:04 PM
DDuess
Road Captain

Yes, I don't see how you could get it clean internally to get the expected results from the POR 15. Then the coating would seal salt and contaminates inside the frame to eat on it.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:28 PM
jreichart
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Salt Away is a great product. All the guys that ride the salt use it to clean their bikes and cars. Used it a few years back when I took my bike out on the flats, seems to have worked, no major corrosion since, and it was caked in about an inch of wet salt all over everything.

Old 02-19-2013, 04:58 PM
rpmpit
Cruiser

Originally Posted by DDuess
Yes, I don't see how you could get it clean internally to get the expected results from the POR 15. Then the coating would seal salt and contaminates inside the frame to eat on it.
I see your point. But if I don't get the inside of the frame thoroughly clean, the salt will continue to do damage anyway. And rust can only happen in the presence of oxygen and the POR-15 will at least eliminate that.

Are you suggesting I just clean with the Salt Away & leave it at that? Not trying to be argumentative. I truly appreciate your (and everyone's) opinions and suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Old 02-19-2013, 05:04 PM
DDuess
Road Captain

Originally Posted by rpmpit
I see your point. But if I don't get the inside of the frame thoroughly clean, the salt will continue to do damage anyway. And rust can only happen in the presence of oxygen and the POR-15 will at least eliminate that.

Are you suggesting I just clean with the Salt Away & leave it at that? Not trying to be argumentative. I truly appreciate your (and everyone's) opinions and suggestions. Thanks for taking the time to respond.
That is what I am suggesting. I can't see the gain by putting the por in the frame without proper cleaning and prep. If it fails, and I assume it would, you now have flaking coating inside the frame, and a false sense of security.

Quick Reply: Hello and question on Sandy Flood damage/frame