Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throttle Mate Lock

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2007, 01:25 PM
cjgrog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Throttle Mate Lock

It's very easy to install. Just slips on over the thumbscrew and you tighten a small screw to keep it in place. They recommend a drop of loctite. After it's on, you just push it forward with your thumb to increase the tension. Is much easier than battling with the thumbscrew, especially when you want to take off the friction.

CJ

Old 02-12-2007, 02:20 PM
harleyxlc
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I use one on the dyna. Works great. Installed in about 5 seconds

I don't use it for cruise control, but just to give me hand a break sometimes.

Old 02-12-2007, 02:34 PM
Smitty0128
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just ordered 2 (one for me and one for a friend)

THANKS!

Old 02-12-2007, 03:50 PM
StBobBobby
Novice

I just made one form the scrap AL that was lying around the warehouse at work. 15 mins of cutting drilling and taping the tread done. It fit the first try and i only eye balled the size.

Old 02-13-2007, 02:10 AM
kato1964
Road Warrior

Thanks for all the advise. You guys clarified something for me...first off, apparently the eBay asking price (not to mention the shipping) is a hose job. Secondly, this is basically a small lever that attaches to the existing thumbscrew. I might hold off on this one, until I get my bike. I'm not looking for something to substitute for cruise...only as a couple of you mentioned...sometimes it is nice to be able to give that ole right hand a break during a long ride. Thanks again...

Old 02-13-2007, 03:43 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

There is also one like them that's called the Throttlelocker that's very similar but costs a bit more.
If your looking for really high tech and high, real high priced alternatives, check these out.

50Boy can modify yourtwist grip into a ratchet like assembly when turned on for about $200.

Another ismade by Kuryakyn that'san electro-magnetic throttle lock. It that fits around the switch block on the right hand grip and sells for about $160.
Of the two the Kuryakyn I think might be a better option as its set up to instantly unlock if either of the brakes are activated.

Neither is a true cruise control, just like I said a real high tech throttle lock. But you can still overide them by just twisting the grip up or down.

There are a couple of others out there to choose from, but I can't remember who makes them right now. And in the long run it doesn't make a hill of beans worth of difference if its nothing more than a lock. Especially when you consider that theycost so muchmore thana Throttle Mate, Throttle Locker,or Klever Lever.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:10 AM
rick
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to be ignorant but how do these throttle mates actually work.

Old 02-13-2007, 09:52 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: rick
Being "ignorant" about something isn't a problem, all it takes is a little information tocure that.
Its being stupid that's a problem, cause like Ron White said, "stupid is forever".

Anyway all they are are little levers that can be clamped or snapped over the existing thumb scerw on the bottom of the right handthrottle and switch block assembly on your handlebar, Look at the picture slosely and you'll be able to see what the throttle-Mate looks like when its clamped on to the factory star shaped thumb screw.
Its a clever design, but not rocket science. if you have the tools a little talent you could make one for yourself like StBobBobby did.

BTW StBobBobby do you happen to have any decent pictures of yours? I have a couple of differentideas for one, but I am alwaysinterested in seeinghow other people fined solutions to mechanical "problems".

Old 02-13-2007, 10:47 AM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior

I bought the "Klever Lever", cost $5.00 and free shipping.

works great![8D]

Old 02-13-2007, 11:19 AM
rick
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

ORIGINAL: rick
Being "ignorant" about something isn't a problem, all it takes is a little information tocure that.
Its being stupid that's a problem, cause like Ron White said, "stupid is forever".

Anyway all they are are little levers that can be clamped or snapped over the existing thumb scerw on the bottom of the right handthrottle and switch block assembly on your handlebar, Look at the picture slosely and you'll be able to see what the throttle-Mate looks like when its clamped on to the factory star shaped thumb screw.
Its a clever design, but not rocket science. if you have the tools a little talent you could make one for yourself like StBobBobby did.

BTW StBobBobby do you happen to have any decent pictures of yours? I have a couple of differentideas for one, but I am alwaysinterested in seeinghow other people fined solutions to mechanical "problems".
thanks for the info,but how does it function or how do you use it.

Quick Reply: Throttle Mate Lock