Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help! Can't get the damn baffles out!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 05:07 PM
conjurski
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Can't get the damn baffles out!

My wife has a 2013 deluxe and I've been trying to get out the baffles and they wont come out. I drilled arpund the weld on my Road Glide and they pulled right out and sound AMAZING. NO noticible reduction in performance or fuel mileage. Please no lectures on taking them out. So I tried to drill them out the same way around the weld and they wont pull out. Took off the glass packs and theres a sort of mesh inside the back. I tried pushing them through and that doesnt work. The baffle will move back and forth about a 1/2 inch and thats about it. Anyone know what I can do to TAKE THEM OUT? Thanks!

Old 07-01-2013, 06:21 PM
kneesinthebreeze
Road Master
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Old 07-01-2013, 06:58 PM
conjurski
Intermediate

Yeah I tried that, I don't think mine are the same. There seems to be this weird mesh stuff behind the baffle that is the diameter of the entire pipe. At this point it seems like they just wont come out.mguess Ill have to buy her some slipons. Thanks for your reply though.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:46 AM
Killer Squirrel
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by conjurski
Yeah I tried that, I don't think mine are the same. There seems to be this weird mesh stuff behind the baffle that is the diameter of the entire pipe. At this point it seems like they just wont come out.mguess Ill have to buy her some slipons. Thanks for your reply though.
If it's like my Breakout then you have the catalyst material built into the muffler/baffle. That mesh stuff you are talking about, is it a hard silver/gray honeycomb looking stuff? I did mine the other day and I just used the handle of a hammer (rubber coated handle mind you) and tapped on it with another hammer to knock the whole baffle out from the back. Just be gentle so you don't break the catalyst material, you want something large enough with enough surface area against the catalyst so it doesn't punch through. The whole baffle will slide out and you can remove the insulation wrap and drill holes or whatever you plan on doing from there.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:48 AM
jcallesano
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

New pipes.....
....................Then remove baffles...

Dont ruin the stock one by drilling and messing them up.
Someone will buy your pipes that are unaltered.

Old 07-03-2013, 10:26 AM
conjurski
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Killer Squirrel
If it's like my Breakout then you have the catalyst material built into the muffler/baffle. That mesh stuff you are talking about, is it a hard silver/gray honeycomb looking stuff? I did mine the other day and I just used the handle of a hammer (rubber coated handle mind you) and tapped on it with another hammer to knock the whole baffle out from the back. Just be gentle so you don't break the catalyst material, you want something large enough with enough surface area against the catalyst so it doesn't punch through. The whole baffle will slide out and you can remove the insulation wrap and drill holes or whatever you plan on doing from there.
I'll try again, thanks. It is like you describe. Does the mesh stuff come out too? It looks like it is the diameter of the larger area of the pipe so it won't squeeze through the back end that narrows?

Old 07-03-2013, 10:29 AM
conjurski
Intermediate
Talking

Originally Posted by jcallesano
New pipes.....
....................Then remove baffles...

Dont ruin the stock one by drilling and messing them up.
Someone will buy your pipes that are unaltered.
Yeah soooooo.....too late lol

Old 07-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Killer Squirrel
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by conjurski
I'll try again, thanks. It is like you describe. Does the mesh stuff come out too? It looks like it is the diameter of the larger area of the pipe so it won't squeeze through the back end that narrows?
If it's like mine the catalyst material (mesh stuff) is part of the baffle, and the entire baffle slides out.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:04 PM
FXDWG12
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Since they are "slip-ons", just slip them off. And push the guts out with a broom handle.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:08 PM
ChickinOnaChain
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 3,070 Likes on 2,554 Posts

Why not just take the whole muffler off?

Quick Reply: Help! Can't get the damn baffles out!