Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to get sticky tape or adhesive off windshield?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 08:04 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question How to get sticky tape or adhesive off windshield?

I bought an OEM 16" Harley Quick Release Windshield off eBay (because I got a great deal on it) and plan on just using it for longer trips.

There are two adhesive strips or tape on the right side (looking at the pic below) and they would be on the left side if you were sitting on the bike.

What is the best way to get those off without scratching the windshield all up? WD40 and dental floss maybe?

Here it is... got it for $200, which isn't too shabby considering it is like brand new and the quick release clamps are $200 by themselves.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:20 PM
08Nighttrain
Road Master

Use goo-gone it is Orange based and will remove all kinds of sticky stuff safely.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:24 PM
Superrust
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also simple green and WD40 work great

Old 11-05-2013, 08:25 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

I've used WD-40 for stuff like that with fair results. (They look like the Velcro style strips for EZ Pass modules.) Just be careful with scraping of any kind. The windshield has a coating on it that can be scratched. I also found out the hard way that the coating doesn't like Windex much either. It will cause the coating to turn a little cloudy.

The windshield looks like the same kind that I have, including the clamps.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:28 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Put some goobegone or WD-40 on a piece of tee shirt or microfiber & lay it on it & let it set for a while, should come off with some light rubbing. A little rubbing alcohol should get off what ever is left, if any.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:31 PM
RANGER73
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,952 Likes on 3,034 Posts

Lemon oil.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:33 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by 08Nighttrain
Use goo-gone it is Orange based and will remove all kinds of sticky stuff safely.
Originally Posted by Superrust
Also simple green and WD40 work great
Originally Posted by streeteagle
Put some goobegone or WD-40 on a piece of tee shirt or microfiber & lay it on it & let it set for a while, should come off with some light rubbing. A little rubbing alcohol should get off what ever is left, if any.
Thanks everyone! Exactly the info I needed. I may try just the WD40 with a microfiber towel first since I have that handy. I believe I have rubbing alcohol also.

I assume the best thing to use to clean these windshields is water and a microfiber towel?

Old 11-05-2013, 08:36 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Deucedog
I've used WD-40 for stuff like that with fair results. (They look like the Velcro style strips for EZ Pass modules.) Just be careful with scraping of any kind. The windshield has a coating on it that can be scratched. I also found out the hard way that the coating doesn't like Windex much either. It will cause the coating to turn a little cloudy.

The windshield looks like the same kind that I have, including the clamps.
So best thing to use is water and a microfiber towel?

How do you like yours? Any buffeting? I almost bought the larger one (19" over the headlight) but I would be looking through it since I am 5'10". It seems the 16" will be perfect.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:37 PM
streeteagle
Club Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

After I got to thinking maybe you should forgo the alcohol, not sure what your shield is made of. I clean mine with carwash & warm water for a throught cleaning, in between I use Clearview shields cleaner & polish, works great, takes bugs, dirt, off, leaves it clean as a whistle. When I clean it I use straight up and down strokes to avoid swirls.

Last edited by streeteagle; 11-05-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:44 PM
ghoticov
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by streeteagle
After I got to thinking maybe you should forgo the alcohol, not sure what your shield is made of. I clean mine with carwash & warm water for a throught cleaning, in between I use Clearview shields cleaner & polish, works great, takes bugs, dirt, off, leaves it clean as a whistle. When I clean it I use straight up and down strokes to avoid swirls.
OK, cool. I'll have to find the Clearview cleaner and great advise on going up and down to avoid swirls, I would have never thought of that. Lol

Quick Reply: How to get sticky tape or adhesive off windshield?