Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 04:41 PM
Benjammin713
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks I meant pro street, but I got it installed already. The Everything Breakout Thread-photo674.jpg

Old 07-19-2017, 05:00 PM
Sean C. Boynton
Novice
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjammin713
Thanks I meant pro street, but I got it installed already. Attachment 515550
That is sweet! Reminds me of the Disturbed singer for some reason:-)

The following users liked this post:
Benjammin713 (07-19-2017)
Old 07-20-2017, 08:53 AM
wedgemoose
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Forget it. I found a thread with all my answers

Last edited by wedgemoose; 07-20-2017 at 11:20 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 09:51 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,936 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Originally Posted by wedgemoose
,,,I don't understand the Dunlop thing(E3). If our stock Dunlop sucks then why use a different version? Wouldn't those suck also?,,,,
Of course !

Those of us on E3 250's are simply lacking in imagination, beyond that required to bullshit about tires. What other explanation could there be ?

"Try em or don't bro,,, sheeesh" !!

Old 07-20-2017, 10:41 AM
wedgemoose
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

deleted

Last edited by wedgemoose; 07-20-2017 at 11:21 AM.
Old 07-20-2017, 11:24 AM
Tyler13
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tires

I've been able to put a few hundred miles on my new Avon Cobras and so far so good. I was skeptical about the "big difference" new tires would make but, now that I've tried them I can say that it's true. I'm not very technical with tire and suspension terms but it just feels better and different than with the stock tires.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:39 AM
Sean C. Boynton
Novice

Originally Posted by vj82
Here is mine blacked out Breakout, Finally was able to put it back together and ride again, lost 3 primary cover black bolt caps on my 1st ride lol , still want to powder coat wheels, and need to paint oil tank cap,
top trans cover was not done yet either but I think I will wait till winter to do more work, now is time to ride and enjoy
Funny...most places see summer as the time to ride. In FL, at least for me, summer is the ideal time to get work done. If it isn't the suffocating heat and humidity, it is the Noah-Level rain that will get you.

Old 07-20-2017, 11:47 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,936 Likes on 1,112 Posts

Originally Posted by wedgemoose
You misunderstood. Or I wrote it wrong. That's me asking(not telling).

So let me ask another way instead. Are the Dunlop E3's totally different(better) than the stock Dunlops? It doesn't make sense to me but I'm not technical. (reason for the questions).

Now i'll explain my madness:

I read "our stock dunlops suck" and then I read people buying a different version of them ans saying they are great. So i'm going to assume the E3 is a total different animal. But figured I would ask instead of guess.

sorry to trouble you. I'm buying one brand no matter what it turns out to be. But would like a little first hand info first.

Does that make sense? did i ask it better here???
The E3's are a single compound tire. I don't know what the construction of the stock 240 Dunlop is. The stock 130 front tire is a "bias" belted tire, the front E3 120 is a radial. What I do know is that I got barely 5000 mi out of my stock Dunlop 240 and slightly more than 5000 mi out of my first E3 250. I'm on my second. Handling is where the E3 250 shone for me. Maneuverability and "stickiness" / stability are markedly better with the E3 over stock. These tires share the Dunlop name but otherwise are quite obviously different if my perceptions as well as those of others means anything at all.

As to other brands; claims are they are even better and I don't doubt this when claims come from folks who have tried both. Pirelli, for instance, are commonly known to be high performance rubber and I have no doubt they perform better than an E3, Avons,,, maybe, Metzeler,,,, I doubt it, but ALL are reportedly a big improvement over the millstone stock Dunlop 240.

Riding styles matter. As tempted as I am to discover "better" tires, the E3 Dunlops are such good value up here in Canada, compared to European rubber; and since my most aggressive riding style is clearly no match for E3 capabilities anyway, I'm loath to pay 30% more for premium tire performance I'll never use or need. Indications are that other brands won't justify a 30% + cost premium based on wear alone. FYI, I've installed straight pegs and a 2" fork extension on my Breakout and still occasionally drag my heels in corners as the E3's stick to the road like **** to a blanket. Metzelers are viable economically but ,,,,"nope",, and I'll leave you to your own research for an assessment on Metzeler.

Everybody has opinions on tires. I've found my "happy point" in price and performance with Dunlop E3's and would only go back to a stock Dunlop 240 if there were absolutely no other tires of any brand for sale and then only to sell the bike. They are that bad IMHO.

Hope this helps.

Old 07-20-2017, 01:03 PM
UHDhog
Tourer
Received 83 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by HKMark23
The E3's are a single compound tire. I don't know what the construction of the stock 240 Dunlop is. The stock 130 front tire is a "bias" belted tire, the front E3 120 is a radial. What I do know is that I got barely 5000 mi out of my stock Dunlop 240 and slightly more than 5000 mi out of my first E3 250. I'm on my second. Handling is where the E3 250 shone for me. Maneuverability and "stickiness" / stability are markedly better with the E3 over stock. These tires share the Dunlop name but otherwise are quite obviously different if my perceptions as well as those of others means anything at all.

As to other brands; claims are they are even better and I don't doubt this when claims come from folks who have tried both. Pirelli, for instance, are commonly known to be high performance rubber and I have no doubt they perform better than an E3, Avons,,, maybe, Metzeler,,,, I doubt it, but ALL are reportedly a big improvement over the millstone stock Dunlop 240.

Riding styles matter. As tempted as I am to discover "better" tires, the E3 Dunlops are such good value up here in Canada, compared to European rubber; and since my most aggressive riding style is clearly no match for E3 capabilities anyway, I'm loath to pay 30% more for premium tire performance I'll never use or need. Indications are that other brands won't justify a 30% + cost premium based on wear alone. FYI, I've installed straight pegs and a 2" fork extension on my Breakout and still occasionally drag my heels in corners as the E3's stick to the road like **** to a blanket. Metzelers are viable economically but ,,,,"nope",, and I'll leave you to your own research for an assessment on Metzeler.

Everybody has opinions on tires. I've found my "happy point" in price and performance with Dunlop E3's and would only go back to a stock Dunlop 240 if there were absolutely no other tires of any brand for sale and then only to sell the bike. They are that bad IMHO.

Hope this helps.
+1 to this. In no way will your Breakout perform past the capabilities of an E3. Less than $200 mounted for a 250 tire is pretty good too. Handling was much better for me as well when I switched to E3s.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:21 AM
Sean C. Boynton
Novice

Morning All!

I put the blackline console on this AM...yes...this AM. It looks great, BUT when I pulled the original plate off, there was gas under the gasket. Enough that it was running down my tank. The electric line and loom was wet (with gas obvs), and when I dried off the pump it got wet again. It was not coming from the lines in or out, it was coming from the other end of the pump...but I couldn't tell exactly where. Pardon my ignorance here, but I believe it was the fuel filter side. I know it is hard to tell without actual pics...but I didn't think about posting the Q at the time...so I found one online. The side showing in the pic (with the green gasket) was the side that was wet.

Wanted to check here to see if it is a potentially easy fix that is not worth a trip to the dealership (because it is still under warranty).

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread