Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 02-13-2015, 01:41 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Everything Breakout! Find out everything you need to know! Some topics include:

• Customizing you bike
• Seats
• Risers
• And much more!

For more information check out these threads:More Threads
Print Wikipost

The Everything Breakout Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 10:08 AM
paulmj
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

V&H now offer this for the Softail - the Super Radius.

http://www.vanceandhines.com/store/s...llsystem/46051

Which I will also consider. But I really need to hear the 2 into 2 and this side by side as, for me, the noise is the most important thing.

Old 06-30-2014, 11:13 AM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior
Received 217 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by paulmj
. . . for me, the noise is the most important thing.
No, no! Not "the noise, but rather "the sound" or "the music".

Jim G

Old 06-30-2014, 11:21 AM
paulmj
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
No, no! Not "the noise, but rather "the sound" or "the music".

Jim G
I stand corrected: The Sound!

Old 06-30-2014, 11:48 AM
NAME CHANGE REQUIRED
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently installed Shotguns to clean up the rear and now I'm looking to clean up the front end, specifically the handlebars. Personally I can't stand the stock (front) turn signals. I want them gone but I still want to retain the ability to signal when I'm riding at night. Relocating them to the forks isn't an option either. I like what Thunderbike did with one of their Breakout builds. They used low profile bar-end turn signals made by Motogadget. I like the M-Blaze Disc version better the cone version they have on the bike pictured below. The nice thing is there's no drilling required because Breakouts already have a cutout under the handlebar. Anyway, I've referenced my service manual and I've done a buttload of research. I'm still completely lost in the sauce when it comes to the install. In theory it seems like a relatively simple install, but the BCM and CAN bus add a new degree of difficulty. I'm hoping one of you gear heads with a 20lb brain can point me in the right direction especially if you have already removed your stock signals. My question is, once I remove the signal housing and cut the wiring from the handlebar control module, can I simply route the new bar-end signal wiring directly back to the BCM? By cutting and capping the stock signal wires am I rendering the hand controls inoperable?

Old 06-30-2014, 12:11 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by NOFUKS2GIVE
My question is, once I remove the signal housing and cut the wiring from the handlebar control module, can I simply route the new bar-end signal wiring directly back to the BCM? By cutting and capping the stock signal wires am I rendering the hand controls inoperable?
Before doing anything like this, does your state have an annual vehicle safety inspection requirement like my state (Texas) does? if so, does the safety inspection for a motorcycle include a requirement that there be turn signals? (Texas interestingly enough does NOT require them on a motorcycle).

IF they are required in order to pass an inspection, OR if they are required even if there is no annual inspection requirement, if a police officer stops you for any reason, he is supposed to do a cursory vehicle inspection. If that happens, and the new signals don't satisfy the law (they almost surely will not), if you have butchered the factory wiring, you could be in a world of hurt.

Jim G

Old 06-30-2014, 12:29 PM
NAME CHANGE REQUIRED
Advanced

Originally Posted by JimGnitecki
Before doing anything like this, does your state have an annual vehicle safety inspection requirement like my state (Texas) does? if so, does the safety inspection for a motorcycle include a requirement that there be turn signals? (Texas interestingly enough does NOT require them on a motorcycle).

IF they are required in order to pass an inspection, OR if they are required even if there is no annual inspection requirement, if a police officer stops you for any reason, he is supposed to do a cursory vehicle inspection. If that happens, and the new signals don't satisfy the law (they almost surely will not), if you have butchered the factory wiring, you could be in a world of hurt.

Jim G
I may sound like a high functioning retard but I actually did my homework. Signals aren't required in my state and you could also argue that these are more visible than our stock lights considering you can see the brighter LEDs from almost 360 degrees. Either way it's my prerogative. Dudes are going to do what dudes are going to do.

Old 06-30-2014, 12:50 PM
JimGnitecki
Road Warrior

I may sound like a high functioning retard but I actually did my homework. Signals aren't required in my state and you could also argue that these are more visible than our stock lights considering you can see the brighter LEDs from almost 360 degrees. Either way it's my prerogative. Dudes are going to do what dudes are going to do.
I didn't mean to imply you are in any way a "retard". I had a friend some yes back that took all the signals off his bike, and subsequently had to replace them when he failed an inspection. He had had no idea that anyone would care he took them off.

Jim G

Old 06-30-2014, 01:07 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 382 Posts

JimG,you are missing the point, he isn't removing them, he is replacing them with a different type.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:10 PM
24v
Elite HDF Member
Received 704 Likes on 382 Posts

My question is, once I remove the signal housing and cut the wiring from the handlebar control module, can I simply route the new bar-end signal wiring directly back to the BCM? By cutting and capping the stock signal wires am I rendering the hand controls inoperable?
Why not rewire the wires from the hand controls to the bar end signals? If this is not an option, then yes, you can wire them directly. There is an open plug down under the front of the tank on the right side of the bike. purple is signal, blue is running, and black is ground. Everything will still work in the hand controls.

Old 06-30-2014, 01:16 PM
NAME CHANGE REQUIRED
Advanced

I was hoping you would chime in 24v. Do you have any guidance here? When you removed your front signals did it throw a code or affect your rear signals?

Edit: You beat me to it.

Quick Reply: The Everything Breakout Thread