Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The left pull returns 2011 heritage

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2014, 09:34 AM
arrowslinger1980
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The left pull returns 2011 heritage

Very very frustrated. My bike has drastically pulled to the left when the handle bars are released since the day I got it. Taken it to two dealers, three indy shops. no results. After everyone said "ya its safe to ride" I just dealt with it and started buying new parts to try to eliminate what it could be as I went on. New swing arm, new air ride blah blah.....

So here is the strange part, after air ride and new swing arm the problem virtually disappeared. All was good, right? no. I needed new tires 20,000 on the front (original front tire) and 10,000 on the rear. Get new tires on and now OVERNIGHT the left pull has returned. My question is: what in the front wheel can cause this? Is the wheel not true possibly? I have adjusted the rear axle till I am blue in the face and the left pull does not go away. In fact I cranked that sucker so far in on the left side that the bike should have been doing 0 degree right turns and the thing still pulls left.

Im about to put a rag in the tank and light it.

Does anyone have an idea?

Old 04-28-2014, 09:41 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

I feel your pain, but perhaps not as much.
My Heritage pulls to the left as well, but I'd say it's a "gradual pull" not as you put it a "drastically pull".

I'm pretty sure I've read that this was somewhat of a common problem with only "add some weight to the right saddle bag" as a work-around fix.

Have you ridden other Heritages to see if they have the same feel as yours?

Old 04-28-2014, 10:07 AM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I would tie a string around the aft end of the rear wheel, just far enough off the ground so it will clear the bike's frame. Have the string tied in the middle so there is enough length on both sides left where you can pull the strings past each side of the front wheel.
Then have someone sitting on the bike positioning it upright with the front wheel straight ahead.
Pull both strings tight in front of and to the side of the front wheel. Bring the strings in toward the side of the front wheel until the strings hit the forward side of the rear wheel.
This should show you if the front and rear wheels are running in the same track.

You could do the same thing with long straight edges.
Tom

Old 04-28-2014, 10:21 AM
arrowslinger1980
Tourer

It will straighten out if I lean WAAAY to the right. but I might fall off. Im seriously thinking my fork legs are either rotated or in the tree at different distances. I will be doing the string thing tonight.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:24 PM
tccarl
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is it possible the rear wheel isn't tracking straight? If it's not true it will make it pull too.

Old 04-28-2014, 12:36 PM
challutz
Cruiser

MIne has pulled since the day i got it maybe not as bad as yours but i would have to lean pretty far into it to get it to ride straight . I tried everything alignment new tires, new forks, lots of weight in the right saddle bag nothing friggin worked. I gave up , then i went through a fairing phase, ordered a fairing from Woodys, put it on and rode, loved it still do. One day i decided to let go of the bars (slow speed) just to see if the pull got worse from adding the fairing, guess what its way better than it was before i can almost sit straight up there is now just a slight pull so im gonna live with it, i never take my hands of anymore now that i know it has been somewhat corrected. All i can say is thanx to Woodys for killing 2 birds with 1 stone!!!!

Old 04-28-2014, 02:36 PM
arrowslinger1980
Tourer

I swear, I may as well trade it in. AMF from now on.

Old 04-28-2014, 05:25 PM
ghostrider69
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think it's the rear wheel. Is the belt tracking dead center of the front and rear pulleys?

Old 04-28-2014, 05:28 PM
Pitbull_Dallas
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 46 Posts

Mine does the same thing. Don't notice it until I let go of the handle bars and then it wants to drift left. It's not bad, just gradual..

Old 04-28-2014, 06:11 PM
Tailsfrommycrib
Elite HDF Member
Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

I agree with you that you should trade it in for something else. If it were me I would trade it in on a fatboy or a deluxe (probably a deluxe).

Quick Reply: The left pull returns 2011 heritage