Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Article slams the Harley V Twin

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2014, 01:33 PM
surfnorthwest
Supporter
Received 28,509 Likes on 9,483 Posts
Default Article slams the Harley V Twin

The article linked below is disturbing, well for me at least as a owner of a new Heritage Softail

The article lists numerous design flaws and serious issues with the V twin engine. Goes on to say basically that Harley is aware of it but chooses to ignore it.

Not being a mechanic I wanted to ask if this guy speaks truth or is full of ****. Love to hear your take.

http://www.jamesrussellpublishing.biz/beforeyoubuyharley.html

Old 06-09-2014, 01:53 PM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 190 Posts

Seen it, read it & don't give a rat's *** about it. People have been talking **** about Harleys for as long as I can remember. I don't understand why people keep buying these POS. LMAO!! Sorry, no offense to you, you're just passing it on.

Old 06-09-2014, 01:55 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,324 Likes on 8,413 Posts

Originally Posted by 103 sedona orange
Seen it, read it & don't give a rat's *** about it. People have been talking **** about Harleys for as long as I can remember. I don't understand why people keep buying these POS. LMAO!! Sorry, no offense to you, you're just passing it on.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:08 PM
Freightran
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks to be the same basic writing from a video that I watched on Youtube with some Victory dealership basically bashing the Harley and how the Victory is far superior.

You can do the same basic thing to every car manufacturer also. Every one of them has "flaws". Heck, buy a new Chevy and crash due to the ignition switch jamming and shutting of the car and locking the steering wheel...blah, blah, blah.

Here is a link:

Everything is still just a man made machine. THEY WILL FAIL.

Old 06-09-2014, 02:11 PM
gerjets
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. You never know when people who ride articles/reviews are tied in with competitors.

My 2010 Heritage runs great and I don't baby her :-)

Old 06-09-2014, 02:12 PM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

Harley Davidson sells EVERY motorcycle they produce. If I had a business model like that I wouldn't worry too much about a SMFer's website.

I feel sorry for the guy. He seems the type that if a gal gave him a BJ and a hundred dollar bill he'd complain that he'd rather have five 20.00s because 100.00s are hard to break. Here in Ohio folks like that are known as "Douchebags".

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 06-09-2014 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-09-2014, 03:07 PM
blu92in99
Cruiser
Received 35 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by 103 sedona orange
Seen it, read it & don't give a rat's *** about it.
This, +1.

From reading that article, I gathered a few simple thoughts;
  • This guy really likes EVO engines, and hates TCs. To each their own.
  • He really wants you to buy his book, not a service manual. He plugged his own book several times, yet neglected to mention the merit in owning the Factory Service Manual.
  • Whomever wrote that page, or assembled those loose thoughts of his into numeric order, has nobody to proofread. His thoughts are about as scattered as his warnings, and about as repetitive. A 4th grader should be able to tell the difference between 'weather' and 'whether'. How many different numbered 'points' does he go on about the cam chain tensioner shoes? Seriously, how did any of this make it through a publishing house and into print in this format/condition? (oh right, the JRP website looks like it was built in 1997 and not updated since)
  • He kind of contradicts himself. Look at how much he appears to waffle back 'n forth, just about oil coolers. In one point he says they're a must have and extend engine life. In another point he says that they don't shed enough heat to prevent engine damage.
  • His scientific methods only seem to include his opinion. Speaking on the oil cooler again, he mentions in point 36 that a factory oil cooler "looks too small to really be of much use" and then mentions aftermarket coolers work better because they're larger. So, just because it looks small means it doesn't work well enough? No actual, factual testing to back anything up other than 'it looks small, must be inadequate'.
True, what he's talking about in the article isn't exactly false, but it could have been presented in a more efficient, professional manner. It reads as much more like an angry blogger, less like that of a man trying to educate the masses. As anything else opinion oriented (including my post), take it with a grain of salt.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:26 PM
DAV
Cruiser

Originally Posted by gerjets
... You never know when people who write articles/reviews are tied in with competitors...
This.

(and like was pointed out - this drivel sounds a lot like that old Victory video that made the rounds when those Minnesotan snowmobile guys started making bikes)

Old 06-09-2014, 03:31 PM
Six7One
Tourer

The best brands usually have a huge target on them.

Old 06-09-2014, 03:35 PM
Joe S.
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can read articles about the shortcomings of the HD till the cows come home. Sure are a lot of them running up and down the road though.

Quick Reply: Article slams the Harley V Twin