Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heritage vs. DeLuxe

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 11:33 PM
Justin9380
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I originally went in to look at a road king, and it just didnt feel right, then the salesman pointed me towards a Heritage, and I was sold!

Old 09-26-2014, 11:46 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,958 Likes on 1,687 Posts

Originally Posted by swifty
This is kind of funny reading through all of these post.. Stay with me for a second.
I had a American iron horse bike that was getting some new wheels. The bike was not going to be ready in time for a rally I was going to. So I rented a Harley!!! A 2010 Heritage!!! Had the bike for 4 days thought it was very nice, and I could stay on it all day unlike my iron horse. After 80 miles on that I had to take a break! Anyway I could not wait to get off this Harley and back on my Iron horse and feel that power!!!!
4 years later I'm tired of the up keep!! And the money I'm pumping in to this bike. SO time to by a Harley.. I saw a smoking Road king at the dealer and took it for a spin. I went about a half a mile and felt like it was just not me!!! If that makes sense!!! Then I tried the Heritage. I new it was a nice ride but that was about it... Well Before I made it to the first stop light I knew I was buying that bike!!!! It was perfectly balanced , Just lite enough not to fight me and had enough weight to stay planted! It was a short test ride. When I got back to the dealer they had someone waiting to take it out on a test ride. I looked the guy in the eye and said I'm sorry This bike is sold!!!!! He thought I was joking. But the other sales man standing next to him knew I meant it. And got the guy another bike. But my sales guy just smiled because he knew he just sold that bike!!!

When your on your bike you will know!!!!!!!!! swifty
I know exactly what you mean. I've had one short ride on a Heritage, and I was very, very impressed. My father in law and I are going on a longer ride next week, and he told me: "You're riding my Heritage!".

Now all I gotta do is take a comparable ride on a RK, and then I'll know.

Old 09-27-2014, 06:25 AM
Benway
Elite HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Triple M
Then i noticed that when I wanted to convert to a single rider, (remove the bags, passenger seat, backrest and windshield) the bike looked great until...............................I looked from the back. The OEM seat was so wide that without the bags it stuck out and the turn signals were designed to to be in the middle of the bags. Many people say that you can trim it down and it is great looking but I think you need to change out the seat and the rear turn signal.
When I bought my Heritage, I was into the full bagger look and left everything on everywhere I went. It was nice having all that 'comfort' and storage, but I soon wanted something 'cooler' looking since I mostly solo'd.

So, I stripped everything off the bike that was a heritage, bought a Deluxe seat because the Heritage seat was ugly as sin, way too tall and flat (you'd slide off the bike if you gunned it and didn't have the pillion on to stop you).

Then, 3 or 4 sets of handlebars later, Shotgun shocks (because I ride about 1/2" off the bumpers most of the time), Samson duals and Lepara Silhouette and I pretty much had the bike I've always wanted.

Thing about the Heritage, there's all kinds of bikes underneath.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:06 AM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

99% of shock/spring changes on Harleys are done to "slam" or lower the bike. Obviously not with either a Heritage or a Deluxe. Are there mods to raise a Heritage and increase ground clearance?

Given the design of a Softail's rear suspension, I've always assumed that would be essentially impossible.

Old 09-29-2014, 01:56 PM
infrared41
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swifty
Have you ever heard that the bike finds You!!!!!! Its true.... You will know when your sitting on a bike and when your sitting on your new bike!!!!
So true. When I walked into the dealership, my mind was set on a used Road King I'd found there. As I'm getting ready to take it on a test ride, we find out the battery is dead. So while I'm waiting I tell the sales guy "you know before I saw this Road King, my dream bike was always a Heritage Softail Classic." The salesman tells me he has a used '09 HSC with very low mile and Screaming Eagle pipes down at the end of the building. Long story short, I rode the '09 HSC and decided it was my new bike. As I'm waiting to start the paper work, the sale manager walks by and says "have you checked out the '14s we have inside?" So inside I go and sitting there is 3 brand new HSCs. The two tone gray one catches my eye and I decide to sit on it. And it was over. I really liked the Road King, I really liked the '09 HSC, but I fell in love with the '14. To this day, I still wonder what would have happened if the sales manager hadn't made on offhand remark as he walked by while I was waiting to buy the '09.

My bike definitely found me.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:39 PM
Mighty_Mickey
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

The wheel base of the Heritage, Delux & Fatboy are all 64.4, this is because of identical frames. The rake is 31 for both Heritage & Fatboy and 32 for Delux . the difference in clearance comes from the rake, shocks, load and tire size. someone stated that the Road King had a higher output than the Softails which is NOT true.. The are identical engines except for how they are mounted. Softails for the most part weigh a little less and are .4 longer in the wheel base. Ive ridden both and IMO the softail is a better bike than a road king and the Heritage is the most bike for the $$$. If you can deal with the studded bags and fat turn signals.

Old 09-29-2014, 02:54 PM
fatboy slim
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mighty_Mickey
The wheel base of the Heritage, Delux & Fatboy are all 64.4, this is because of identical frames. The rake is 31 for both Heritage & Fatboy and 32 for Delux . the difference in clearance comes from the rake, shocks, load and tire size. someone stated that the Road King had a higher output than the Softails which is NOT true.. The are identical engines except for how they are mounted. Softails for the most part weigh a little less and are .4 longer in the wheel base. Ive ridden both and IMO the softail is a better bike than a road king and the Heritage is the most bike for the $$$. If you can deal with the studded bags and fat turn signals.
According to the 2014 model line up specs;
HERITAGE produces 130NM of TORQUE.
ROAD KING produces 138NM of TORQUE.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:00 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Originally Posted by Mighty_Mickey
...someone stated that the Road King had a higher output than the Softails which is NOT true.. The are identical engines except for how they are mounted...
Yeah, that's actually dead wrong. They are not the same engines at all. The Softails have the counterbalanced 103"B" motor, not the standard 103 motor.

The 103B will not rev as high, and has significantly less horsepower and torque.

Heritage: 95.2 ft-lb @ 3,000 rpm.
Road King: 104.7 ft-lb @ 3,250 rpm.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:59 PM
saddlebag
Tourer
Received 71 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Yeah, that's actually dead wrong. They are not the same engines at all. The Softails have the counterbalanced 103"B" motor, not the standard 103 motor.

The 103B will not rev as high, and has significantly less horsepower and torque.

Heritage: 95.2 ft-lb @ 3,000 rpm.
Road King: 104.7 ft-lb @ 3,250 rpm.
OTOH, the Softies are considerably lighter. On a demo ride I took, the guy in front of me had to play catch up to the group and nailed his Street Glide, I did likewise on the Fatboy and I'd say it was about as dead even as two bikes could be. And the new touring line supposedly has new hotter cams and a higher flow airfilter than the other models.

Old 09-29-2014, 04:08 PM
Fatboy1389
Road Warrior
Received 198 Likes on 116 Posts

I had a severe brain fart due to circumstances beyond my control and retract my post .....post deleted

Last edited by Fatboy1389; 09-30-2014 at 10:22 AM. Reason: I had a severe brain fart due to circumstances beyond my control and retract my post .....

Quick Reply: Heritage vs. DeLuxe