Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Buying my first Harley.. need some advise

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2006, 04:55 PM
Opiy
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Buying my first Harley.. need some advise

Thanks for the support guys !

I leave for boot camp at the end of August. After that I go to sheppard AFB in Texas to school for 3 months. I signed up to be a Utilitiesman. I wanted full active builder job but ended up with UT reserve active. I plan to try my hardest to get them to roll me over to Full Active UT seabee after I get in. Out of all the navy jobs the seabees seemed to me that it would be the most rewarding and could get the most pride out of what I accomplish. I am trying to get into as good of shape as I can before BC.

I kinda want to get stationed in CA Port Hueneemee (sp?) if not Gulfport MS wuold be cool since it is closer to home.

I looked into the schooling some but will read up on it some more after I post this. I plan to start out with a heavy bike so it would give me more confidence in handling it.

Old 05-13-2006, 05:16 PM
BVBOB
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: Opiy

I just joined the military the begining of this week and I plan some time after boot camp and maybe schooling to buy a new bike. It will be my first one and I have a small amount of time on motorcycles. I know how to ride one but thats it. No real experince from time.

I grew up here in Al. and live in Bham now so I figured posting here would be ok.

So far I am looking at the Dyna Wide Glide - Saw this one at the local harley shop in pelham yesterday and it was just amazing looking to me.

I have seen some of the non-classic Springers that I am really liking also

And the other I was considering was the Softail Standard

Now I don't really know what to look for or how to even know if I think the Fit and Feel of the bike would suit me.

Any advise would be awesome.

BTW my name is Larry and this is my first post here. Nice to meet you

LOL I don't really know enough to know what to ask but so far those are the 3 bikes that I am liking just by looks.
Hi, Larry
I have some experience with the FXST softail standard, I owned one for 3 years and just recently sold it after 10,000 miles, I miss it already, Awesome handling and riding bike. Had it on long trips and short, with the twincam B balanced motor it is virtually vibration free. I also own an 05 Ultra which I absolutely love but I call it my Grandpa bike, not a Grandpa yet but I still like the comfy ride. I can also give you some advice on the springer, I own a 92 Fxsts and while it is a fun bike I don't see myself going cross country with it anytime soon. The new springers with the Twin Cam are a major step up in ride quality in my ipinion. I have an 06 street bob coming in any day now to replace the FXST & the Fxsts. I have rode a few different dyna's, Wide glide and others and like their ride quality also. The good thing is for you going from no Bike to a new bike is I guarantee you will be happy no matter what you choose to purchase. Good luck in the Military!! I think they should offer every new recruit a new Harley, I bet that would get the numbers up.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:13 AM
Trimster
Cruiser

Congrats on the Seabees!

As far as the bike goes:

1) If I'm reading this correctly, youre riding experience is somewhat limited? Take a rider safety course before purchase. (Your confidence, insurance rates, and your bike's well-being will apppreciate it)

2) Rent a few models first, if you arent sure on which model to get. And I'll bet, that once in the Navy, at each of your training stops, and once you reach you're first permanent duty station, you will make some new friends that already own bikes that'll have some MORE advice for ya.

3) Sock away the cash till you reach your first duty station, then decide on buying. And don't rule out buying a good used one either, especially if its your first bike.

Old 05-15-2006, 12:26 AM
Watkinst
Advanced

OPIY,

Trimster could not have said it better. "Take a Rider Safety Course". Being in the military myself (27 years Air National Guard) its the best advise you will get. Also, if you are interested in getting reimbursed for the cost of the safety course, a trip to your base safety office is in order. When you are there, see if the base offers any rider training. Many bases require it before you will be permitted to operate a motorcycle on base. Take full advantage of all the training they offer.

The stuff about which bike...you'll figure that out. Just buy the bike "you" want, not what everyone else thinks you should have. I couldn't tell you the number of people I know who have fallen into this trap, only to sell it or trade it in, a few months later and usually at a serious loss of coin.

And as for Sheppard...Well let's just say 3 months is a long long time...

Good Luck!!!!! and welcome to the forum.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4702/025043B285074B5195C823E4805F3BA7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-15-2006, 09:27 AM
Opiy
2nd Gear

Since I recently swore in, could I still get reimbursed for the safety course? Nearest base to me is in bessemer al and the only base that I saw on that web site was in Mobile. I plan on taking the course though just got to find the time and spare money ( getting ready to sell house).

I am more than likely going to get the wide glide. I just like the look of it and the Laid Back ride style. I don't plan to ride for days straight but going several hours would be nice.

Thanks for the advise everyone !