Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Anyone in Charlottesville, VA?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 09:57 PM
effinn00b
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone in Charlottesville, VA?

Is there anyone out there that rides in Charlottesville, VA, or has recent familiarity with the area?

My wife and I are considering relocating to Charlottesville, depending on how her job hunt goes. I'm doing my due diligence about the area. Is there anything unusual I should know about noise ordinances and police enforcement related to motorcycles?

We were in town this week, checking things out (in the cage). It was nice and a lot of riders were out, including a reasonable number of Harleys. But I noticed that NONE of the V-Twins that I saw had any rumble to them at all.

My FLSTC is not particularly loud, I just have some slip-ons. There are plenty of bikes here in Fredericksburg that easily down mine out. But I spent all day listening in C'ville and I didn't hear anything that came even close to my sound levels.

Maybe I'm being paranoid but in my mind C'ville already has 1 strike against it because of the lack of public gun ranges. If every cop has a db-meter in his cruiser then that is strikes 2 and 3 for me.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:01 AM
DynaChic
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I live about 45 miles south of Cville; work IN town. Been here over 20 years.

To my knowledge there is nothing unusual wrt noise ordinances and/or police enforcement related to bikes. Obviously, VA has a helmet law; cops enforce that and regular 'rules of the road' stuff. Nothing I've ever heard of related to noise. (I've heard VA Beach is nit-picky.)

Trust me when I say, there are PLENTY of loud bikes around here ... as for public gun ranges, move to Nelson County or Fluvanna, and buy enough property to set up your own gun range .

HTH.

Old 11-02-2012, 03:46 PM
effinn00b
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, whew! I really like the area in general. Glad to hear that is a non-issue.

My wife was accusing me of being paranoid... and I was NOT looking forward to trying to explain to her how she shouldn't take a perfectly good job because I like my bike to be loud. That conversation would not go well, lol.

Old 11-06-2012, 10:48 AM
smprfi0231
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I lived in Charlottesville before I got my bike. Not sure what the noise restrictions are if they have any.

However, keep in mind that C-ville is home to UVa...typical liberal college hippies who used to stare at me like I killed kittens because I drove my dodge ram with 35" mud tires through the campus. So likely wont get too many people with loud pipes...however you will see/hear me when I come to visit old friends.

Also, GW National Forest has a public range. I've been there several times and its a great range. 100 yds max and can shoot just about anything. A lot of times you get there and no one is there, or the people who are typically wrap it up. Also, there is a private range but awesome club that you can get into. I believe its called Rivanna gun club but could be wrong. You have prime roads to be riding on so at least thats worth of one less strike.