Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia.

Heading to Smoky's in a few weeks

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2014, 08:08 PM
MiamiHogFan
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heading to Smoky's in a few weeks

Heading up to the Smoky's for some R&R with the old lady towards the end of the month. Riding 95 to Jax then 23 to 441 and into the Smoky's from Cherokee.

We are planning on the obligatory Tail of the Dragon run, Cherahala Hwy, Blue Ridge, Diamond Back, Moonshiner28. Any special or secret roads you guys are fond of?

We haven't settled on a hotel yet, so any reasonable rate, clean lodging recommendations or do not miss places to eat would also be appreciated.

Really looking forward to getting out of Dodge!

Old 07-06-2014, 08:21 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,827 Likes on 18,580 Posts

Hundreds of great sites ... Fantastic Roads and Rides ... Maggie Valley and Wheels Through Time Museum .... Here's a link to great rides in the area.

http://shop.americaridesmaps.com/12-...ides-NC007.htm

Old 07-06-2014, 09:35 PM
MiamiHogFan
Intermediate

Thanks uncle Larry,

I ordered those last week, should be here midweek

Old 07-24-2014, 12:58 AM
Buckshaw
Intermediate

http://www.fontanavillage.com I have stayed there many times, great location, clean, friendly staff. Very remote though. they do have 2 places to eat on site but other than that nothing close. Its about 11 miles from the southern start of the dragon.

Old 08-03-2014, 03:52 PM
Golfinds
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Let us know how the trip went. I am doing the same trip from jax in october. Perhaps adding a stop in Nashville for a couple of nights.

Old 08-17-2014, 07:30 PM
dad4
Advanced

We are heading to the smokies the weekend of Sept 5th. I think we are camping at Punkin.

Old 08-19-2014, 01:21 PM
trafficjams
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Old 08-19-2014, 01:34 PM
Clayvis
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My wife and I go to the Smoky's every summer for a few weeks. Just got back a week ago. So cool and nice up there. Very hard to come back to Florida and want to ride...at least until mid October..too freaking hot!

Check out the Microtel in Robbinsville NC. It is on 129, just south of Deals Gap. Clean rooms, good prices. Stayed there several different times. Enjoy!

Old 08-21-2014, 11:02 PM
Kilokato
Tourer

Gatlinburg is a great place to stay too...Tourist trap but we like it....Try Blaines restaurant at the corner where the Space Needle is, that's our favorite. Also Calhouns and Texas Roadhouse, both on the main drag towards the entrance to the Great Smokies National Park....Also ride over to Cades Cove early in the morning. Once you get there (about 35 miles from G-Burg) it's a nice 11 mile loop through large valley with wildlife.

Old 08-23-2014, 02:39 PM
LeadSSled
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

If you have time, ride the Devil's Triangle. It has sections that are much more difficult than the Dragon, but it is not one right after another for 11 miles like the Dragon. This route has almost zero traffic, which is also much different than the Dragon. It is one of my favorite routes in East TN, but it is not near most of the other routes. It is north of Oak Ridge TN near with one end starting in Petros.

Devil's Triangle

Also here is a high-res digital brochure/map with many good routes in East TN, Western NC, and norther GA.

Route Maps

Enjoy your visit to the Smokies!

And don't miss a visit to Smoky Mountain HD in Maryville, TN - one of the best dealerships in the country. If you can manage to be there on a Saturday night, they will have a concert going on.

Quick Reply: Heading to Smoky's in a few weeks