Southwest Arizona | New Mexico | Oklahoma | Texas

Fun stuff to do in San Antonio and Austin

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 05:20 AM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain

Received 649 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Fun stuff to do in San Antonio and Austin

I have been to San Antonio and Austin several times and really love the area, but have never spent a lot of time there and don't know much other than the big name tourist things like the River Walk and 6th Street.

I have a good friend and his wife who live in Colorado coming down to meet me and my girlfriend in San Antonio for 3 days in middle of October. They have never been to San Antonio or Austin. Unfortunately, we won't have motorcycles for this trip unless we rent them. I am a mechanic by trade and so is my buddy. He fabricates a fair bit of stuff and does amazing work. We all like motorcycles, old stuff, good food, cool places. We are our 50's so we have slowed down a little, but we still like some partying. I was thinking about a tour at Deep Eddy, but it looks like they are not running right now.

Can anyone give me some ideas of fun stuff to do in the area that isn't really tourist stuff like amusement parks? Is the Austin Speed Shop worth a visit? Any neat old places or restaurants off the beaten path? Any brewery or distillery tours that cool and not half a day? Would a day of bike rentals be a good idea?

Would just really appreciate any suggestions from folks that know the area.

Old 09-24-2018, 07:41 PM
springers4ever
Road Master
Received 228 Likes on 134 Posts
Cool Austin...

Originally Posted by Gas Smasher
I have been to San Antonio and Austin several times and really love the area, but have never spent a lot of time there and don't know much other than the big name tourist things like the River Walk and 6th Street.

I have a good friend and his wife who live in Colorado coming down to meet me and my girlfriend in San Antonio for 3 days in middle of October. They have never been to San Antonio or Austin. Unfortunately, we won't have motorcycles for this trip unless we rent them. I am a mechanic by trade and so is my buddy. He fabricates a fair bit of stuff and does amazing work. We all like motorcycles, old stuff, good food, cool places. We are our 50's so we have slowed down a little, but we still like some partying. I was thinking about a tour at Deep Eddy, but it looks like they are not running right now.

Can anyone give me some ideas of fun stuff to do in the area that isn't really tourist stuff like amusement parks? Is the Austin Speed Shop worth a visit? Any neat old places or restaurants off the beaten path? Any brewery or distillery tours that cool and not half a day? Would a day of bike rentals be a good idea?

Would just really appreciate any suggestions from folks that know the area.
check out the Oasis restaurant on Lake Travis ....just west of Austin ....

Oasis on Lake Travis ...

check the Track schedule at the "Circuit of the Americas"....race track ...southeast of Austin ...always something neat going on there !!!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Ci...4d-97.6358414#

Salt Lick BBQ ...southwest of Austin ...

Salt Lick BBQ ....open pit
Then just down the road to Wimberley ....cool town big cypress trees at the Blue Hole ...great cafe' in the middle of town ...lots of local shops for the ladies to look at ...
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wi...4d-98.0967971#

we rode all this north from Cayon Lake ...back and fourth to Lake Travis on all the back road ...and checking out the vineyards all around ...over to Fredericksburg ...and the three sister's in Leaky .Tx. ...

just something to think about ...

Last edited by springers4ever; 09-24-2018 at 08:10 PM.
Old 09-27-2018, 05:17 AM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain

Thanks for the reply Springers. I will check them out.

There is supposed to be a motorcycle museum Burnet. Looks like mostly dirt bike stuff. Anybody know anything about it?

Old 09-27-2018, 05:59 AM
Dan D.
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1,717 Likes on 890 Posts

Just ride those little scooters while in Austin. Cheap, and it's actually pretty fun!

Eddie V's on 5th is excellent food... Best meal I've had in a long time. The millions of bats that emerge each night at dusk from the Congress Street bridge is also cool. Easy Tiger is a decent bar/bakery on 6th. Just came back last week, stayed at the Marriott on Congress... Very nice.

My wife is into Fixer Upper, so we went to Waco too. It was fun, and the bakery is really good. Get the orange cranberry biscuit.

Last edited by Dan D.; 09-27-2018 at 06:01 AM.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:36 AM
Lude-a-tick
Road Master
Received 529 Likes on 290 Posts

The bat population will be down in numbers that time of year, but still cool. Franklin's BBQ is an experience, but you must go early. Last time I was there it was Halloween, 6th was a trip.

Old 09-28-2018, 07:14 AM
Gas Smasher
Road Captain

Thanks guys.

Standing in line at Franklin's is kind of a right of passage thing. Good stuff for sure though.

Hope others chime in too. I appreciate the input.