Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Now a Brass CatchCan to match the Breathers

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014, 08:22 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by awilson40
Thanks a lot There are so many ways to get to the same results. Another reason I built my own (besides wanting brass) was that I wanted to use 1/4 fuel line instead of 3/8 just for a little 'slimmer' look.
haha Yeah. I'm more of a function over form kinda guy. I don't care if it is ugly as sin as long as it does what I want. No good having a bike you don't want to ride, whatever that may be. I appreciate the mechanical and design behind everything.

Old 10-16-2014, 08:27 PM
awilson40
Road Warrior

Received 1,407 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by Riffraff123
Is that attached, or just hangs there? The hose is rigid enough to not swing and bang against the motor? I have been looking at a lot of these on here and that is the nicest looking one I've seen.....well done. Thanks for your service too!
Thanks a lot. I used a small clip similar to this to secure the 'T' fitting to the back of the air cleaner. That secured it pretty well. If it doesnt hold up, then I might make something stronger.

Attached Images  
Old 10-16-2014, 08:28 PM
Ployd4
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice work

Old 10-16-2014, 08:58 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Nice job,I still think I came up with one of the best/cleanest looking,invisible mods so far.If I do say so myself.

Copied and pasted my solution from one of the many threads about crankcase breather venting.

This is what I came up with after being unable to find any system that would work with a SE stage one backplate, I went with dual hoses parallel to bottom of rocker box covers then down to hidden catch can in cowbell. Marine shrink wrap over fittings tapped into backplate really cleaned it up.

This is why. I didn't have a lot of oil drippng, But enough to make a mess on cam cover,pipes,side cover,and front of saddle bags if I didn't clean the filter every week or so. It looks like this because the moisture and oil are being shaken like a paint mixer in the cowbell. Glad this gunk isn't going in my intake.

Old 10-16-2014, 09:55 PM
DrewBone
Road Warrior
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by awilson40
I took a small gunpowder flask, added a tube, separator screen and a couple Brass vents. I think it works nicely with the brass breather bolts that I made earlier.
'Very original to use a powder flask!

I've been planning something similar, though instead of a simple screen I'll mostlikely be utilizing the brass wool that's found inside the compressor oil storage tanks of the Cleaver Brooks boilers, for inside the canister [the likes of which will be revealed sometime in the near future], to attract and hold any oil vapors and to allow any accompanying air to escape to atmosphere.

Great job!

=8^)

Old 10-17-2014, 05:22 AM
awilson40
Road Warrior

Received 1,407 Likes on 523 Posts

Originally Posted by DrewBone
I've been planning something similar, though instead of a simple screen I'll mostlikely be utilizing the brass wool that's found inside the compressor oil storage tanks of the Cleaver Brooks boilers, for inside the canister [the likes of which will be revealed sometime in the near future], to attract and hold any oil vapors and to allow any accompanying air to escape to atmosphere.

Great job!

=8^)
The brass wool was what I was wanting to use and while looking around the shop for some I found the screen. The wool is probably a better idea and If I have any weeping from the vents I can add that later.

Old 10-17-2014, 10:17 AM
Ployd4
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great thread! I've been thinking about how to do it with my SE backplate. I don't want to change my filter to a smaller one so I can access return lines. The cover is a custom one I made and don't want to change it. I guess my question is realistically how big does the collector can need to be? I do think you need one but seems like some of them are rather large. How often do you find you need to clean them out or change the oil absorbant material?

Old 10-17-2014, 10:36 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,347 Likes on 11,170 Posts

Originally Posted by Ployd4
Great thread! I've been thinking about how to do it with my SE backplate. I don't want to change my filter to a smaller one so I can access return lines. The cover is a custom one I made and don't want to change it. I guess my question is realistically how big does the collector can need to be? I do think you need one but seems like some of them are rather large. How often do you find you need to clean them out or change the oil absorbant material?
I'm about to take my first trip after installing mine. It will be interesting to see how much drool mine catches. To get a good sample I'll probably check it every 500 miles. So far, I get about 1/4 Tsp of gross stuff after about 75 miles.

BTW...my wife claims she can smell it when we are in traffic. My drool cup with vent is just behind the left passenger foot board. If this becomes a problem, then after the trip I'll move it more towards the back.

Our last local ride, the oil got pretty hot...~250...and I could actually see a few whiffs of smoke or steam..coming out of the vent. At least that means it is working.

The best part is no more drool coming out of the open AC, getting on the engine, exhaust, and my wife's jeans!!!

Old 10-17-2014, 01:32 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

I've Let it go a little bit longer between each drain. at 1k miles now without much more than in the photos.
The thing is with the vents going into the breather, Your intake air flow,Or negetave pressure actually increases the amount of oil sucked up out of the crankcase. The venturi effect. So with a catchcan or just a drain its not being pulled out just draining what the vents push out. What supprised me most was how much water vapor condenses in the case, Of course we have 99% humidity most of the year here. So its good to get the oil temp up over 220 and ride a while to get the steam out.

Old 10-17-2014, 07:06 PM
DevilDog85
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks good.
Off topic question is yout timer cover home made or did you get it from a site? I've been looking for something like that.

Quick Reply: Now a Brass CatchCan to match the Breathers