Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Turn Signal Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2015, 10:32 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Rear Turn Signal Help

I'm stumped. My bike is a 2015 883 Iron with no center tail light, just run/brake/turn in the two rear turn signals.

I bought some cool turn signals from High Tech Speed.

They have an extra circuit so the brake light is high intensity red, but the turn signal is high intensity amber. I had the all red version on my Street Bob, but the extra circuit for the yellow colored turn signal is causing problems.

Here's the deal.
The main harness on the bike has four wires that lead to the turn signal harness where the two harnesses meet under the seat.:
  • Ground
  • Low intensity running light
  • High intensity turn signal
  • High intensity brake light
But, where the main harness connects to the turn signal harness under the seat, the connection goes from four to three wires. From the connector to each turn signal is only:
  • Ground
  • Low intensity running light
  • High intensity turn signal
  • No brake light wire is used.

When I measure the output, the high intensity brake light signal is on the same wire as the high intensity turn signal wire.
Also, the unused brake light wire gets a signal for high intensity when the brake is applied.

So, the question is:
How do I get the turn signal wire to ONLY send current for turn signal flashing and NOT the brake light current?

By the way, I have the schematics. Nowhere does it show the turn signal and brake light wiring joined together. This command seems to come from the BCM, but I don't know this for sure.

Thanks,

Attached Thumbnails Rear Turn Signal Help-hts-turn-signal.jpg  

Last edited by SLV; 01-09-2015 at 10:39 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 02:32 PM
Dubaian
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Same Question here got these recently, the come with 3 wires only.. i want to use them as running light, brake light, signal (How is that possible?)

Thanks

Old 01-10-2015, 08:19 PM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dubaian
Same Question here got these recently, the come with 3 wires only.. i want to use them as running light, brake light, signal (How is that possible?)

Thanks
Your issue is different than mine.

Which bike do you have? Do you have a center tail light or a short fender and only turn signals?

Old 01-11-2015, 12:22 AM
Dubaian
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its a 48, not centre tail light.. only the 2 right signals (Stock) (Running Light, Signal, and Brake)

I'm trying to replace the stock with the black bullet i attached earlier, but with 3 wires its either (Running Light and Brake or Brake and Signal or Running Light and Signal)

Old 01-11-2015, 05:52 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Dubaian
its a 48, not centre tail light.. only the 2 right signals (Stock) (Running Light, Signal, and Brake)

I'm trying to replace the stock with the black bullet i attached earlier, but with 3 wires its either (Running Light and Brake or Brake and Signal or Running Light and Signal)
The brake light and turn signal use the same wire on your bike. One of your new TS wires should be low intensity running light. Connect it to the blue wire on your bike.

Connect the high intensity wire from your new TS to the blue wire with the red or brown stripe (left or right)

Black to black for ground.

Old 01-11-2015, 06:03 AM
SLV
Elite HDF Member

The picture you posted are for yellow lights. These are for front turn signals.

These are rear lights. The description says they are dual intensity. Connect as I described in the previous post.

http://www.panicy.com/black-led-bull...eetfighter-pr/