Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nightster closed loop EFI & Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2008, 06:31 PM
bigredbird
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default v & h pipes

I was thinking about putting the v&h short shots on my nightster. would this require any work to the fuel injection?

Old 01-01-2009, 01:05 PM
Certainteed
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

exhaust doesn't change the a/f ratio so a remap would be completely pointless unless the intake has been altered.

Old 01-01-2009, 01:20 PM
beardo
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Reading between the lines I interpret the dealer as saying this...................."Only buy Harley brand parts from a Harley dealer, have them installed at the Harley dealership,and you'll be OK, and your Harley warranty will still be covered!"
Be careful. I work at a Harley dealer selling parts. The reason you dont to do a download or anything?...because the SE slip-ons are basically the mufflers that came on the bike stock. They arent the high flow slip-ons people have came to know and love. They are VERY restrictive, and basically just a cosmetic alternative to the stock mufflers.

Be VERY aware of running your engine lean. Lean=boom!!! dont play around with a lean modern air-cooled Harley. They are lean right out of the gate. Why the f@ck do you think they are so hot?!?!

Old 01-02-2009, 08:21 PM
mtnhorse
Advanced

Originally Posted by ********
Ugh. Doesn't seem worth it.

Might follow your lead and go with slip-ons.
Oh, it's worth it...Expensive, but worth it!

Old 01-02-2009, 08:49 PM
confederate
Most Wanted
Received 806 Likes on 392 Posts

Originally Posted by Certainteed
exhaust doesn't change the a/f ratio so a remap would be completely pointless unless the intake has been altered.
Exactly. No remap is needed with just an exhaust change.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:33 AM
beardo
Tourer

Any de-restriction in the intake OR exhaust will cause a change in a/f ratio as in leaning it out. Dont burn a valve...

Old 01-03-2009, 02:59 PM
NNN
6th Gear

Originally Posted by bdavis
The dealer told me that Screamin Eagle slip-ons would not require a remap, but all other slip-ons would [:@]. Kind of hard to believe.
The reason the screaming eagles do not require a remap is because they just adjust one of the presets on the computer on the bike.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:58 AM
beardo
Tourer

The reason the screaming eagles do not require a remap is because they just adjust one of the presets on the computer on the bike.
What??? The exhaust doesnt reset anything...where are you getting your information?

Old 01-04-2009, 06:13 PM
Saddlecreek
Novice

I cant believe there is no solid answer on this topic. Does Changing the exhaust alter A/F ratio? Do you need a remap after just exhaust modification? and if so what does the remap change exactly? More fuel? There has to be a harley tech on here who must have performed these remaps and knows the answer to these questions. I just bought some pipes that I am throwing on next week, Im not to concerned about it, but when some one states that by throwing pipes on your bike, you run much leaner to the point of boom? Which sounds rediculouse.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:25 PM
midnight2005
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just installed a pair of V&H sideshots. (actually had the dealer do it) This is a full system and this dealer told me that I didnt have to do anything. I do get a little of popping on decel. but none to worry about. Now when I put on the air filter, I will need them to remap.

Quick Reply: Nightster closed loop EFI & Pipes