Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Making the switch to apes

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2015, 01:41 PM
rysonn
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Making the switch to apes

My wife has a 2013 Iron 883 and she wants to go ahead and make the switch to a pair of 10 inch outlaw style apes in black of course.

Any suggestions on the best deals?

Also, for those of you that have done it, can you let me know what cables/wires I need to replace or is it all of them?

I am doing my road king at the same time and I will admit I have not swapped out bars before so the wiring etc will be new to me.

Old 03-17-2015, 02:46 PM
Black Bettie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got 10" mini apes on my iron and I had to get an extended front brake hose, and extend all electrical wiring. Clutch and throttle cables were fine

Old 03-17-2015, 03:03 PM
RadioClash
Novice

I put mini apes on my '07 883 and was able to get away with keeping the throttle cables, but had to replace the front brake line, electricals, and clutch cable. I almost could have gotten away with not replacing the clutch cable, but felt safer not having a tight clutch cable.

I searched around and found that the best deal was the Burly Brand cable kit. It has all the cables you need in one kit and they seem like great quality cables.

For me personally, extending the electricals was a real pain in the ***, but maybe just because my bike is a little older. The plastic wire terminals kept breaking when I tried to pull the old wires out, so I ended up soldering everything point to point.

For the bars I just bought the cheapest bars from J&P (think I spent like $40) and I'm happy with them. They're not the best quality out there, but I didn't have a lot of cash to spend.

Good luck.

Old 03-17-2015, 03:18 PM
nashvegasmatt
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

burly cables are great quality but they run waaay too long. if you go with them measure your current lengths and be smart by purchasing cables that are only adding the difference..I had swapped bars 2x now, first from stock to 8" Z's and now I currently have 12" Z's. I am running the stock throttle cable, but longer brake and clutch.....if you're just doing 10's the stock brake line would work if you're willing to bend it.. I did and ran 10k on mine bent before I had no choice. I have the burly brake cable and its 8" too long. I had to do some creative hiding.

Last edited by nashvegasmatt; 03-17-2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-17-2015, 03:42 PM
TheMakani
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think the burley kit would be too long for you. its designed for up to 16" apes so you'll have a lot of left over if you go shorter.

I've read a bunch of other member have just got to a shop to have specific lines extended and it cost 10-20 dollars for the work

Old 03-17-2015, 06:38 PM
silentlycreeping
Intermediate

Im gonna be putting 10'' Road 6 bars on my Iron. Looks like the Roland Sands but they are alot cheaper and also available in 10''. Let us know how it goes!

Old 03-17-2015, 08:19 PM
Madison Bill
Road Warrior

Received 1,028 Likes on 508 Posts

I put 1 1/4" fat Black 14" Santee Bonanza Z bars with 3" risers on my Sportster. It's the most comfortable bars I have ever had. But I also had to replace every cable I had.
https://www.denniskirk.com/santee/bl...prd/598634.sku

Old 03-17-2015, 08:53 PM
Mooman
3rd Gear

Hi
Just did my girlfriends bike with Harley mini apes. 2014 883n. Easy project. Just need the right
tools and the service manual that can be downloaded from www.motor-manual-downloan.com for $20. Ordered parts from New Castle Harley in PA. Took a week to get
parts but saved $100. Ordered brake line from Spieglerusa.com. ($82 shipped). Have list of parts if you need it.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:35 AM
rysonn
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Mooman
Hi
Just did my girlfriends bike with Harley mini apes. 2014 883n. Easy project. Just need the right
tools and the service manual that can be downloaded from www.motor-manual-downloan.com for $20. Ordered parts from New Castle Harley in PA. Took a week to get
parts but saved $100. Ordered brake line from Spieglerusa.com. ($82 shipped). Have list of parts if you need it.
What did you have to swap out? Just brake and electric? Were you able to keep clutch and throttle?

Old 03-18-2015, 06:32 PM
Mooman
3rd Gear

Hi
Had to get electric extensions. One for turn sig and one for rest of electrics. Tried to
use throttle/clutch cables. Too short. Got Harley parts cause they have quality stuff
and their stuff fits perfect. Total cost for Harley parts-about $400. Plus $82 for brake
line. May be able to do it cheaper using Burley kit. Didn't look into it.

Quick Reply: Making the switch to apes