Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wrapped my pipes ... Pics inside

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2015, 05:56 PM
nashvegasmatt
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Wrapped my pipes ... Pics inside

I decided long ago I liked this look and finally had the time to get it done. I know some guys only do the upper part of the pipe but I like the look of the whole thing and going over the heat shields made the flow nice IMO. I went with the DEI titanium wrap for the color and for the fact that it installs way easier than traditional fiberglass stuff. Plus it gets great reviews at every corner. Got my delivery from Amazon yesterday. It was muuuuuch cheaper there than anywhere else plus I have prime so it was a no brainer. I got 2 25' foot rolls of the 2" wide wrap.

2 rolls were perfect for my pipes' length. I imagine if you had short shots or similarly length'd pipes you could get away with 1 roll. Other things worth nothing. I wrapped over the heat shields to create a beefier look. Decided to do that after watching about 20 how to guides on YouTube.
I started from the exhaust opening and worked my way back up to the motor end after removing the exhaust. Having never taken off the pipes before it took me 30 minutes, if I had to take them off again, I'd be done in 15 minutes. I forgot the proper metal zip ties at the store so I used plastic ones for now.

The hardest part honestly was being patient and holding it tight. As I went I applied zips because I was working alone it made it easier to give my hands a rest.
Here's two pictures with the first one done. I'll post the final setup tomorrow after the metal clamps go on.

Last edited by nashvegasmatt; 04-15-2015 at 06:04 PM.
Old 04-16-2015, 12:48 AM
PTSDBob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I just did the same thing last weekend, but I took off the heat shields. And yes, they do help in shielding the heat from the rider and also helps in 'pulling' the heat out of the engine. I know this from the increased blueing closer to the exhaust. It also helps with the tinny soung, taking it out completely. I really like this mod.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:23 AM
Iarecobra
Road Master
Received 58 Likes on 54 Posts

Don't ride in the rain too often.

Old 04-16-2015, 01:31 AM
Iarecobra
Road Master

I'm not trying to be a hypocrite. My pipes are wrapped too. But thus happened to someone I know. Rode in the rain a lot. Water got soaked in the wrap and rusted out the pipes

Old 04-16-2015, 01:34 AM
Iarecobra
Road Master

Last edited by Iarecobra; 04-16-2015 at 01:36 AM.
Old 04-16-2015, 01:54 AM
PTSDBob
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

must have been rode hard and put away wet … thanks for the info.

Old 04-16-2015, 05:34 AM
nashvegasmatt
Tourer

Originally Posted by Iarecobra

Wow, that sucks. For every rusty pipe picture I see there's 500 bikes with no issue. But nonetheless... Thanks for chiming in. Those look really old... What do I know. How long did it take to rust like that?

Old 04-16-2015, 05:57 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,229 Likes on 1,628 Posts

OP; looks good and agree w/PTSDBob on the shields...pretty much anything under your wrap is susceptible to impact from the wrap and/or rust so, if/when you elect to unwrap, you'll be swapping the entire exhaust. It's just something to consider. That's not a bad thing as I change my looks quite often, based on new products and my overall likes/dislikes. Again, good job on the wrap and sounds like a great product too.

For others, I've seen wrapped pipes rust in one season and some last for years...depends on the quality (wrap/pipes) and riding elements. Either way - it's a great look.

Old 04-16-2015, 12:32 PM
nashvegasmatt
Tourer

Originally Posted by Iceman24
OP; looks good and agree w/PTSDBob on the shields...pretty much anything under your wrap is susceptible to impact from the wrap and/or rust so, if/when you elect to unwrap, you'll be swapping the entire exhaust. It's just something to consider. That's not a bad thing as I change my looks quite often, based on new products and my overall likes/dislikes. Again, good job on the wrap and sounds like a great product too.

For others, I've seen wrapped pipes rust in one season and some last for years...depends on the quality (wrap/pipes) and riding elements. Either way - it's a great look.

Seems like you have a pretty good idea on this stuff so let me ask... Since I left the heat shields on, wouldn't that in theory act as a buffer to the actual pipe and any potential damage that could occur? ... Or would it expedite the process because the heat barrier now became even more thick?

Old 04-16-2015, 01:19 PM
partlowr
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks good!

Damn, that rusted out one is crazy, I have never seen anything like that before.

Quick Reply: Wrapped my pipes ... Pics inside