Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screamin' Eagle slip-ons don't slip on easy

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 08:12 PM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,675 Likes on 941 Posts
Default Screamin' Eagle slip-ons don't slip on easy

Please critique my install. I bought a set of Screamin' Eagle Shorty slip-ons for my 2007 XL1200C, p/n 80503-07.

The bike, which I've had for 3 months, came with Cycle Shack MXL-130's. I smile every time I start it up, but doing a 110 mi commute a couple days a week, they get unbearable. I tried the stock slip-ons, but the bike sounded too farty, not like a Harley. I figured the SE's would be what I'm after: easy on the neighbors, street legal, with a little bit of rumble.

I expected a simple install, it was anything but. The front muffler and the torca clamp for the rear muffler want to be in the same place at the same time. I spent almost an hour sliding them on and off trying to figure out how the heck they're supposed to be installed. I ended up finding the only position for the rear torca clamp that seemed to work, and I had to fully tighten it before sliding on the front muffler, because once the front muffler is in place, I can't get a socket or wrench on the rear clamp. Even with all that, the rear clamp isn't forward as far as it should be IMO.

I was calling down evil on the people that made these pipes. They are so big and fat, I don't know how they are considered a fit for this bike. Anyway, I'm not really happy with the install because it doesn't feel like a nice factory fit. The rear torca clamp is no longer hidden as it used to be.
Oh, and all that said, I don't even know if I like the sound of these things. :frownone

View from top:

From bottom:

Final product:

Old 11-03-2015, 08:22 PM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,195 Likes on 1,681 Posts

Originally Posted by guitarfish
Please critique my install. I bought a set of Screamin' Eagle Shorty slip-ons for my 2007 XL1200C, p/n 80503-07.

The bike, which I've had for 3 months, came with Cycle Shack MXL-130's. I smile every time I start it up, but doing a 110 mi commute a couple days a week, they get unbearable. I tried the stock slip-ons, but the bike sounded too farty, not like a Harley. I figured the SE's would be what I'm after: easy on the neighbors, street legal, with a little bit of rumble.

I expected a simple install, it was anything but. The front muffler and the torca clamp for the rear muffler want to be in the same place at the same time. I spent almost an hour sliding them on and off trying to figure out how the heck they're supposed to be installed. I ended up finding the only position for the rear torca clamp that seemed to work, and I had to fully tighten it before sliding on the front muffler, because once the front muffler is in place, I can't get a socket or wrench on the rear clamp. Even with all that, the rear clamp isn't forward as far as it should be IMO.

I was calling down evil on the people that made these pipes. They are so big and fat, I don't know how they are considered a fit for this bike. Anyway, I'm not really happy with the install because it doesn't feel like a nice factory fit. The rear torca clamp is no longer hidden as it used to be.
Oh, and all that said, I don't even know if I like the sound of these things. :frownone

View from top:

From bottom:

Final product:
share the sound.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:37 PM
hscic
Grand HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 464 Posts

I installed three different slip-ons on my bike, one of which was SEIIs. Your front slip-ons appear to be further back than usual. My front slip-ons ends right after the bend of the rear head pipe which would give you room to slide the rear torca clamp so the bolt is hidden behind the shield. Perhaps your SEs are different...if the slip-ons are properly seated on your interconnect ports, its not going to move forward or back....the only movement would be in and out by playing with the head pipe at the flange.

Here is a video of the SEII so you can see the install and hear the sound....

Last edited by hscic; 11-03-2015 at 11:52 PM.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:20 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by hscic
I installed three different slip-ons on my bike, one of which was SEIIs...
From what I've read, SE II's are a different, louder pipe than the ones I have. I'm hoping I can make a video today. Thanks for posting yours, btw.

Sliding forward an inch would make a huge difference, but because of the exhaust port interconnect, like you said, there's no chance to do that.

I rode to work this morning, 55 miles, and I could hardly hear the pipes at speed, which is the break my ears needed! They're nice & tight, the only issue is cosmetic, that ugly torca clamp.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:52 AM
Outtakes
Road Captain
Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Your rear clamp is on upside down. It tightens from the top. Not the best picture, but you can see the rear clamp. Its not supposed to be hidden.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:02 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

I thought about doing it as in your pic...but it was even worse looking! But thank you for letting me know. Does the one for the front face the same way? Not that it really matters I guess.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:11 AM
Outtakes
Road Captain

The one in the front faces down. The rear faces up, this is how they were when I bought the bike new.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:19 AM
Bluesrider.df
Grand HDF Member

Cool, thank you. That will be easy to flip around. Now if only they made these clamps in chrome, or black, lol. BTW your bike looks AWESOME!!!!

Old 11-04-2015, 08:26 AM
Outtakes
Road Captain

Thanks, so does yours.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:53 AM
cvaria
Supporter
Received 2,195 Likes on 1,681 Posts

i added se-IIs to my sporty a few years ago, never regretted it. not too loud, not too quiet. sound good at highway speeds. i'm getting ready to put some on my dyna. i ordered them last week from ebay.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sport...-on-07-xl.html

even the picture looks old lol (2013)

Last edited by cvaria; 11-04-2015 at 09:08 AM.

Quick Reply: Screamin' Eagle slip-ons don't slip on easy