Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DK Customs Rocker Lockers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2016, 11:19 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts
Default DK Customs Rocker Lockers?

I've been looking around the DK Customs site and noticed the rocker lockers. I am curious if anyone has installed these and how much of a difference they make in the tapping noise of the rockers? Does anyone have a comparison video of the noise before and after install? I am very interested in these because I can't stand the sound coming from my engine. Am I alone here? It always worries me that something is wrong since I had a pushrod come out of adjustment right after install of the 88 ci kit. Any experience with these you wish to share is appreciated.

Old 01-18-2016, 03:14 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Trying to do a before and after video has been a bit elusive, our ears can pick up so much more than the video cameras are capable of capturing!

This video is about the best example of the tick/tap sound, you can hear it right at the beginning:

The witness marks on the bolts tell the tale of the amount of movement and play that is creating the sound you're hearing:

The Rocker Lockers eliminate the gap, locking the shaft from turning and striking the bolt and eliminating that annoying tick. The Rocker Lockers will also center the inner rocker cover so that it is always located in the same position eliminating the different wear patterns on the rocker arm/valve and give a better alignment of the pushrod in the holes.

You didn't mention your year of Sportster but the 86-06 Sportster Rocker Lockers and the Sportster Models 2007-Up are available to end that top end ticking!

The Rocker Lockers are tapered so that they lock themselves in and wedge the bolt and shaft in place.

Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-18-2016, 03:35 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

I understand the issue with capturing the sound on video. I am definitely going to give them a try. It seems to be louder to me since I had the 88 ci upgrade installed. Could just be me but if these will at least reduce the noise a bit I want to try them. It doesn't seem to be too difficult to install these. What is the estimated install time?

Old 01-18-2016, 08:23 PM
DK Custom Products
Sponsor
Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Bowhunter8607
I understand the issue with capturing the sound on video. I am definitely going to give them a try. It seems to be louder to me since I had the 88 ci upgrade installed. Could just be me but if these will at least reduce the noise a bit I want to try them. It doesn't seem to be too difficult to install these. What is the estimated install time?
I've seen posts saying they're installing the Rocker Lockers in just over an hour to two hours, some have said 3 to 4 hours. It's going to depend on your confidence working on the engine. Be sure to order the Cometic gaskets when you get the Rocker Lockers... that's cheap insurance and piece of mind

Old 01-18-2016, 08:51 PM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

So there are lockers for sportsters too?

Old 01-18-2016, 09:00 PM
Dane M
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 38 Posts

It because of the sound level difference. Our ears can hear a broad range of sound volume levels, but most capture devices cannot. The best chance would most likely be to have the sound capturing near the front left side of the tank, so it is close-ish to the rockers and far-ish from the muffler sound direction.

I'm not a sound tech so that's about the best advice I can give. When I install mine eventually I'll try to capture some audio, but it's going to be a few months before I do that.

Old 01-18-2016, 09:12 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Dane M
It because of the sound level difference. Our ears can hear a broad range of sound volume levels, but most capture devices cannot. The best chance would most likely be to have the sound capturing near the front left side of the tank, so it is close-ish to the rockers and far-ish from the muffler sound direction.

I'm not a sound tech so that's about the best advice I can give. When I install mine eventually I'll try to capture some audio, but it's going to be a few months before I do that.
When I get mine I will try as well just for reference and to hopefully help someone else in the future. It will be a couple of months before I can install some as well.

Old 01-19-2016, 02:47 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,963 Likes on 2,309 Posts

Originally Posted by Panchorelly
So there are lockers for sportsters too?
Yes, we have 4 different models of Rocker Lockers.

You can see them all at this LINK.

Twin Cam
Big Twin Evo
07-Up Sportster
1986-2006 Sportster

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-19-2016, 09:44 AM
Kenny94945
Stellar HDF Member
Received 336 Likes on 291 Posts

Looks like a great product.
In for history.

The witness marks...perhaps the greatest source of Sportster "sewing machine" noise comments?

I'd be interested in anyone posting photos of their witness marked bolts when they do this installation.

Again seems like a great product.

Old 01-19-2016, 11:09 AM
awilson40
Road Warrior

Received 1,408 Likes on 524 Posts

I may have to do this too. Just for the fun of it

Quick Reply: DK Customs Rocker Lockers?