Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasping Iron 883

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2016, 01:00 PM
despurvoa
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gasping Iron 883

My 2014 Iron 883 has recently begun to gasp, albeit briefly, for air as the engine starts. Today, after startup, there was no slight gasp, but it gasped as I was pulling onto the street. I stopped, turned off the engine, and then started again and all was well. The engine did not die (I turned it off), but I am concerned that it might stall. Did I probably let off the clutch too soon (I’m not particularly in the habit of doing this anymore), or is this a legitimate issue, symptomatic of something else?
Again, it is a 2014 model, 3,300 miles, has had its break-in service, and an oil change at the beginning of the riding season. It has a Cobra Air Cleaner with a K&N Venturi air filter and Vance Hine short shots and was tuned upon purchase, brand new.
I use Premium Unleaded gasoline and follow proper Winterizing procedures as I line in the North.
Thank you in advance for any insights.
-David

Old 06-19-2016, 02:10 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,672 Likes on 1,153 Posts

Not sure what you mean by "gasping." Is it still under warranty?

John

Old 06-19-2016, 02:35 PM
despurvoa
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hard to describe other than the sound of air for not even half of a second.
Yes, it's still under warranty (for another week!). You get used to so many routine things in the course of a start-up that little things stand out when the engine turns over. I was just wondering if maybe there was some sort of air-to-engine or tune up issue with this point in the Iron's life.
Thanks for responding.

Old 06-19-2016, 03:41 PM
sawka
Tourer
Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts

Not to make you worried but the term "tuned" is relative. I let the dealership tune my bike when i got the 1200 conversion done and when i took the plugs out after about 500 miles they where ghost white. I just didnt know what a really lean bike felt like so I tuned it myself and it runs noticeably better. Therefore my suggestion is check the plugs because I dont know what you mean by gasping but I know mine made sounds like where it was missing that you may being considering a "gasp". I never had it on start up but I had it when its cold. I still get it when the temp is real low and it isnt warm yet.

Edit: thought about it and you would have had the gasp for a longer time if it was running lean tuned when you got it. Unless you havent rode it in this temp cold yet you would have experienced it. I'd try other suggestions first

Last edited by sawka; 06-19-2016 at 03:45 PM.
Old 06-19-2016, 03:54 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by despurvoa
Yes, it's still under warranty (for another week!).
There's your sign!

Take it to the dealer, get your money's worth.

John

Old 06-19-2016, 08:39 PM
Nick 93
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Are you sure the sound isn't from the intake(usually aftermarket makes a noise). Maybe they forgot to put on a gasket and theres a leak now. Also is there anything you've done differently from the last time you've road the bike? Even something as simple as not wearing earplugs can allow you to hear sounds you haven't heard before from your engine. Did you get a new helmet? New windshield? I'm not sure what you meant by gasp but I'm just suggesting that it could've been there the whole time. When it sounds like its "gasping" does the bike buck like its going to stall? Anyway, hope that helps somehow. Good luck and hope the bike gets better soon!

Old 06-19-2016, 10:34 PM
OddJack
Road Warrior
Received 180 Likes on 125 Posts

What's wrong with gasping? Most ladies gasp when they first see me pull into the street.

Other day someone was complaining why the bike has starting lag. You know, like the crank rolls once and twice before it gets going. I wish I had that too. to mee it's all eargasm.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:41 PM
deadrubberboy
Road Master
Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Hmm. You might be describing a sound my bike started to make on warm up occasionally. Only happens when first warming up (even in hot weather in FL).

Started after installing fuel computer. It sounds like a quick "air suction" and the engine stumbles slightly and revs increase for a sec. it all happens real fast. "swwwooop"

Old 06-20-2016, 03:54 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by deadrubberboy
Hmm. You might be describing a sound my bike started to make on warm up occasionally. Only happens when first warming up (even in hot weather in FL).

Started after installing fuel computer. It sounds like a quick "air suction" and the engine stumbles slightly and revs increase for a sec. it all happens real fast. "swwwooop"

Idle Air Controller?

John

Old 06-21-2016, 10:46 AM
deadrubberboy
Road Master
Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harper
Idle Air Controller?

John
Not sure what that is or how to check it.

Got any info for me?

Quick Reply: Gasping Iron 883