Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New 1200C vibration

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 03:01 AM
07FattyTailgater
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New 1200C vibration

The ol 06 Sporty Custom I rode as a passenger was pretty violent on the freeway. In general, we came home feeling pretty tired, beat up, n sore. My toes went numb on long rides, and my butt was pretty sore on the stock seat. But damn, that's half the fun. Nowadays on the Fatboy, we say "remember how tired we were after riding out here..." But, I would absolutelyride a Sporty again- If it was mine!

Old 05-28-2007, 03:25 AM
Zeb
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: seldont

Bought my wife a new 07 1200 Custom and have been riding it myself just sort of shaking things out a bit. While I am not new to Harley (have an EG Std.) I am new to the Sportsters. It runs great but is pretty buzzy any time you are applying any power. It is through the bars some but the pegs mostly. I checked the mounts the best I could and they seem tight. Any suggestions?? I went back to the dealer today and rode another 07 which has the same problem but not quite as noticeable. I rode my friend's 04 1200 Classic today as well and it was the smoothest of the three bikes by far. Is it a quirk of the fuel injected bikes for any reason?? Again it is only when applying power. As soon as I back off the throttle it goes away.
Geez man, if you're complaining about a rubber-mounted '07 Sporty vibrating, don't ever get any of the older ones.

I get off my bike, a '98, after a long run and I feel like I'm still on it a couple of hours later.

It appears that those rubber mounts aint all they're cracked up to be, by the complaints still coming.

Seriously though, check your motor mounts to make sure their tight or even not broken in some way. It's also possible that your bike just isn't running right; maybe you should get it checked out and tuned up, just to make sure.

Sporties are a vibrating ****, and there's really not too much you can do about it if you choose to keep one.

The Jap bikes are smooth as silk and they run real nice, but they have a Jap name on them, and that sucks, if you don't like that sort of thing.

You also didn't say how many miles are on your newbike. Once it breaks in it should smooth out some as well.

Old 05-28-2007, 03:39 AM
Zeb
Road Master

ORIGINAL: badbs101

My 07 Sportster did the same vibe thing especially around 3000 rpm.One day I noticed it had stopped and I thought the motor had just broken in fully. Then when I was washing the bike, I noticed that the left bolt for the upper motor mount (more of a mount arm) that attaches by the valve cover was missing. I bought a new bolt and reattached it and noticed the vibes were back stronger than ever. I took the bolt out again and they went away. I tried it back and forth a few times varying thesequence that I torqued the two mountbolts and it was always smoother without the left bolt. I ended up leaving it out as it looks to serve little in the way of structural support for the motor.

Try it you may be surprised at the difference.

Well, not trying to spoil your fun, but if you're not careful you may end up breaking your other mount or mounts, seeing how they will be forced to handle all the vibration themselves.

'Not an expert on the matter, but anytime one mount is disconnected it puts a strain on the other mounts until sooner or later you have a failure of the other mounts.

But hey, it's your bike and it's possible you could be on to something, seeing how it's a Harley and Harley's are their own breed and don't always act the norm; I don't know.

But if it was my bike I would put the bolt back in and leave it, before I end up breaking the other mounts or mount. Maybe you could just leave it a little loose or something.

Gosh I read some of the strangest **** in here on occasion. It's like having access to every Harley and owner in the world or something in here; so much information. The Internet is truly amazing.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:06 PM
pepesworld
Cruiser

Ihave noticed thatvibration in any of the Harley motors will vary. During manufacture, a massed produced engine is ballanced within "spec", or a range of acceptable tolerance. By chance some engines will come out fairly out of ballance, others will come out nearly perfectly ballanced. All within spec.I have an EVO softail-ten years old now, that seems to be perfectly smooth. There is a little vibration 35 to 40, but at 70, 80, 90, very smooth- no blurry mirrors, no buzz. I just got an 07 sporty, the motor dances like crazy at idle, then smoothes out at speed. It seems fine on the highway as well, no buzz at all. Ithink that your motor will smooth out alot after it breaks in....or actually after about 10,000 miles. Mine used to vibrate a little at speed when I got it, now at 25,000 it is smooth. Although some motors just vibrate more than others, there is good news......you can save a bunch of money by switching to Geico..

Old 05-28-2007, 02:05 PM
xor13
Tourer

My 1200N feel pretty buzzy at 75+ mph which is the highway speed limit out here. Enough to be quite annoying.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:22 PM
seldont
Intermediate

ORIGINAL: Zeb

ORIGINAL: seldont

Bought my wife a new 07 1200 Custom and have been riding it myself just sort of shaking things out a bit. While I am not new to Harley (have an EG Std.) I am new to the Sportsters. It runs great but is pretty buzzy any time you are applying any power. It is through the bars some but the pegs mostly. I checked the mounts the best I could and they seem tight. Any suggestions?? I went back to the dealer today and rode another 07 which has the same problem but not quite as noticeable. I rode my friend's 04 1200 Classic today as well and it was the smoothest of the three bikes by far. Is it a quirk of the fuel injected bikes for any reason?? Again it is only when applying power. As soon as I back off the throttle it goes away.
Geez man, if you're complaining about a rubber-mounted '07 Sporty vibrating, don't ever get any of the older ones.

I get off my bike, a '98, after a long run and I feel like I'm still on it a couple of hours later.

It appears that those rubber mounts aint all they're cracked up to be, by the complaints still coming.

Seriously though, check your motor mounts to make sure their tight or even not broken in some way. It's also possible that your bike just isn't running right; maybe you should get it checked out and tuned up, just to make sure.

Sporties are a vibrating ****, and there's really not too much you can do about it if you choose to keep one.

The Jap bikes are smooth as silk and they run real nice, but they have a Jap name on them, and that sucks, if you don't like that sort of thing.

You also didn't say how many miles are on your newbike. Once it breaks in it should smooth out some as well.
It is new. Right now it has 128 miles on it. I bought it for my wife as a birthday present. I hope it will smooth out some as it breaks in. I did go back to the dealership and rode another new 07 1200 Custom and it did vibrate as well although not quite as much. I did know what to expect or so I thought as a co-worker has an 04 and my son had an 05 and I had ridden both of those. They both did have a few thousand miles by the time I rode them so maybe as it breaks in everything will smooth out somewhat.

Old 05-28-2007, 09:35 PM
FBL2011
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 07 XL1200 custom is pretty comfortable and I think what you're describing is pretty normal...

It does indeed shake..but with the rubber mounts it's really not bad for the rider. When I'm stopped I can look down at the engine and it's juggling and jiggling all around..kinda funny - makes me glad I got a skull on my horn cover..cause it rattles them bones..

Old 05-28-2007, 11:40 PM
swervedriver
Advanced

my 883 vibrates pretty good at idle.
it smoothes out at speed though.
the stock seat on a rough road, now, that's another story.
i'll be changing it real soon.

Old 05-29-2007, 12:02 AM
Dallastx
Ultimate HDF Member

Like to see the horn cover Celt..

Old 05-29-2007, 02:11 AM
viper66
Advanced

i have a 07 1200C and mine does the same thing. its normal. on the left side it will sound like a singer sewing machine and when you get it up to 55-60 mph it will vibrate when you give it more throttle and when you let off it should smooth out some. mine does the same thing.the bigger harleys ride alot smoother. this is a sportster they are supposed to be like that. just get out ride it and enjoy it.