Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 48 Cam upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2016, 08:58 AM
rheistand
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2017 48 Cam upgrade

Hi all. I have searched but perhaps I don't know the key words well enough to get any good results to my questions as I am new to the harley world.

Bought the 48 and they are putting on v&h short shots and intake. Id like to add a little power and the dealer recommended cams. But I read that if you do anything more than bolt on the work involved would be wasteful, you might as well add compression by doing head work at that point? and the bolt ons dont add much power, and it sounds like if you wanted to do more down the road you wouldn't do it with the bolt in cam. which would be wasteful.

Is this all correct and does anyone have recommendations on what to do for 1-2k? Another concern is I love the sound of the bike at idle. One of the reasons I got a harley. I don't want the loop of the engine to sound funky.

Also keep in mind this is a new bike. Thanks in advance for the input!

Old 09-20-2016, 09:31 AM
deadrubberboy
Road Master
Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

I'll bite:

A) it's new. Ride it first for a while and enjoy. Break it in etc - don't do anything else yet
B) Consider something besides the Short Shots if you're looking for power. I don't knock the SS's (I have them - came on the bike from previous owner), but from what I've read they do NOT make as much power as many other options in the same (or even lower) price range.
C) Before cams - get a Power Vision tuner. After changing exhaust/intake you will require a tune, and if you're already thinking of going further you'll need a good tuner for that too and PV is the best out there.
D) Ride it that way for a while and enjoy. Wait and see if you already want to go to a "bigger bike" or even a sport bike the way you are talking. HD ain't ever going to go as fast as an off the shelf bike MEANT to go FAST. You'll see lots of Sporty's for sale with super low miles and lots of upgrades. You don't get money back out of upgrades so don't waste your time/cash.
E) So you're in love with your Sporty, and you still want to go faster? Look into Hammer cams. Multiple options - bolt on, no head work needed. Also, strip it down as much as you can stomach to save weight.
F) Still want more? Sure you want a sporty still? Go custom and get crazy.

Again, keep it stock for a while. Do a stage 1 with parts that Dyno best (the short shots aren't it), and go from there.

ps. welcome from a fellow Orlando rider

Last edited by deadrubberboy; 09-20-2016 at 09:34 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 09:46 AM
rheistand
Novice

Thanks dude for all the info. And small world! Maybe you can weigh in on if the dealer is the best place to get work done? Yeah I know that's a sensible approach and I think I'm gonna scrub the cam idea for now. I just sold a Ducati scrambler which isn't a super fast bike but faster than the sporty for sure. I got it instead of keeping the scrambler cause I live downtown and drive it in like a 3 mile radius, for close errands and bar hopping/going to the other side of lake Eola cause I'm too lazy to walk lol. I love the sound and look. I like getting on it when I can(former open wheel race car driver) but its limited. So I thought if I could add a little more power I can still get a mild grin on my face in like the 2 places I have the room to run through a few gears. That's my thought proces and what I use it for. Let me know what you think.

Old 09-20-2016, 10:13 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Your engine has a stock CR of 10:1, which is not bad. Take a look at the SE catalogue for the tuning goodies available for your bike, which include cams, also a Stage 4 conversion, which includes 10.5:1 pistons, ported heads, cams etc. Quite expensive, but keeps the dealer sweet. Be warned, you may find yourself on the slippery slope in pursuit of even more performance.....

Old 09-20-2016, 10:51 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Honest response no one wants... cancel the 48. buy a fat bob. Run the numbers, you'll see the logic

Short shots are not a good move

Last edited by cvaria; 09-20-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:41 AM
deadrubberboy
Road Master
Received 118 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by rheistand
Thanks dude for all the info. And small world! Maybe you can weigh in on if the dealer is the best place to get work done? Yeah I know that's a sensible approach and I think I'm gonna scrub the cam idea for now. I just sold a Ducati scrambler which isn't a super fast bike but faster than the sporty for sure. I got it instead of keeping the scrambler cause I live downtown and drive it in like a 3 mile radius, for close errands and bar hopping/going to the other side of lake Eola cause I'm too lazy to walk lol. I love the sound and look. I like getting on it when I can(former open wheel race car driver) but its limited. So I thought if I could add a little more power I can still get a mild grin on my face in like the 2 places I have the room to run through a few gears. That's my thought proces and what I use it for. Let me know what you think.
Yikes. I certainly wouldn't spend any money for upgrades on a motorcycle that's going 3 miles at a time. With that type of riding you're going to need all of your extra cash for engine repairs. Might reconsider the Sporty for an electric bike like a Zero? Not certain, but I suspect the wear/tear of short trips for them is less. Should be instant torque and super fun for your purposes.

In fact, in all seriousness, and with all due respect, you need a bicycle not a motorcycle. Better in every conceivable way for your described use.

Last edited by deadrubberboy; 09-20-2016 at 11:43 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 05:04 PM
rheistand
Novice

Originally Posted by deadrubberboy
Yikes. I certainly wouldn't spend any money for upgrades on a motorcycle that's going 3 miles at a time. With that type of riding you're going to need all of your extra cash for engine repairs. Might reconsider the Sporty for an electric bike like a Zero? Not certain, but I suspect the wear/tear of short trips for them is less. Should be instant torque and super fun for your purposes.

In fact, in all seriousness, and with all due respect, you need a bicycle not a motorcycle. Better in every conceivable way for your described use.
Well I put 650 miles on the scrambler in 10 months ish so its not much but not nothing. Regardless you are unaware of one thing and forgetting another. The unaware part, I have the money to light it on fire if I want. The thing you're forgetting, when I pull up to the gym/ the bar downtown I look cooler than on a bicycle. When I have brought girls back to my place to hang, even though its 6 blocks and they giggle and go Ive never been on a motorcycle before, they won't giggle as much if I ask them to ride the pegs on my bicycle.

Old 09-20-2016, 05:08 PM
rheistand
Novice

Originally Posted by cvaria
Honest response no one wants... cancel the 48. buy a fat bob. Run the numbers, you'll see the logic

Short shots are not a good move
What would be a good move over the short shots? I went for the look. Figured If I wanted power I could get it in other ways. Don't like 2 to 1 setups look wise.

And I was looking at a softail but as I've been discussing with another forum member this is already overkill for how little/far I ride it.

Old 09-20-2016, 08:56 PM
dbuzzell
Road Captain
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Hammer performance jackhammer 570 cams
http://hammerperf.com/xlvalvetrain.shtml

Old 09-21-2016, 12:23 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by rheistand
What would be a good move over the short shots? I went for the look. Figured If I wanted power I could get it in other ways. Don't like 2 to 1 setups look wise.

And I was looking at a softail but as I've been discussing with another forum member this is already overkill for how little/far I ride it.
you want power or you want to pose?

2-1 is you best bet but- 2-2 options are limitless.

Quick Reply: 2017 48 Cam upgrade