Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Valve Clatter - How much is normal?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2016, 09:31 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,522 Likes on 1,088 Posts

That noise and the shaking is what makes a Harley. If it sounds any different, then you know something is wrong with the bike.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:09 PM
1HD4CJM1X4K
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The tapping may be normal, but if it does not feel like it is running right, you may have deeper concern. Test ride a few Sportsters. Let a fellow sportster owner test ride yours. gather info from those around you that ride Sportsters. Join a local bike club and listen to their suggestions before tearing into the engine.
We would only be guessing at what it might be.
It is easy to say, just ride it (and that might be the best advice)
But, if you have a bad cam, bent push rod, damaged lifter or roller, you may be damaging your engine.
Get a motor stethoscope and pin point the noise.
Note whether it is louder when cold or once the engine has warmed up.
Get rid of the fear and then enjoy the ride.
If you are questioning your engine, you need to have answers.
Earplugs are not the answer, but knowing everything is normal and the engine is okay will make your enjoyment that much better.

Let us know what you find out, but do not just have it taken apart to have peace of mind.
Explore the nature of the beast for yourself with a few test rides and take advice from those that are on hand to experience exactly what you are hearing and feeling from the engine.

Sportsters do have engine noises that others do not have.
All will have those noises.
You my find that none have the noises you are experiencing.
If that is the case, then you may have to consider your options.

Old 10-09-2016, 03:37 PM
Imold
another old guy

Received 4,618 Likes on 2,728 Posts

Originally Posted by Kenny94945
What oil viscosity is in the OP bike? (with 4500 miles one could assume still factory filled).
Still running break in oil at 4500 miles?! I don't think I'd want a bike that was done to. Harley says 1000 and then every 5000 after, but I'd change break in oil at no more than 500, then again at 1000 before starting the normal operating sequence. All that fine metal powder produced in the first few hours of moving metal parts doing their final fit is in the oil and filter, and I sure wouldn't want to circulate it that long. If the OP hasn't changed oil yet... it's TIME!

Sound means different things to different folks, I'd have to hear it compared to mine to really say one way or the other. If you want to hear a really noisy motor, listen to a Ural, my sportsters sound so quiet after riding that thing.

Old 10-09-2016, 04:06 PM
old schooler
Cruiser
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I will buy it

Old 10-10-2016, 04:06 PM
jambo1989
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

What are rocker lockers?

Old 01-24-2017, 11:53 AM
Deadof_knight
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default I get that calm clattering like was mentioned yyup

OK Ive pulled my top front end off. to check for slop in main ...at the rod end (piston) rod play is tenth ..... I haven't measured side to side play yet ....push and pulled up and down don't feel any play .....but I didn't expect the rod play at the top ...... from what ive read it seams fine...... I pulled the lifters cleaned one out then filled it back up with oil.....I have changed lifters once already thinking it was a bad lifter ...... bike only has 5000 on it Ive changed oils heavier weight synthetic -dino .......in the end the clatter is still there after it gets fully warmed up just later with the heavier oils...... I have notice my rocker pins seam to have the shiny spots where the pin might be rotating making noise so I ordered rocker locks...... piston looks virtually new , surprised at the carbon build up..... skirts look good piston cylinder looks great ......cleaned it all up waiting on gasket set to show up ....
one cylinder at a time for me . amazed at the noise this thing makes took to the dealer and they say it sounds fine ..... ive listened to other sportsters and they do not have this claking noise...... the sewing machine sound I can live with but this has driven me nuts. I have also pulled cam chest it was tight pulled the called out with the ..... should be fine ......

one note when we started the bike (hadn't been ran in over a year maybe 2) ......it had the clak LOUD then after it ran a little bit it softened to about half......

going thru the motions trying to find the culprit ....

I have a2008 fxstc also

The following users liked this post:
1HD4CJM1X4K (01-24-2017)
Old 01-24-2017, 08:42 PM
jambo1989
Advanced
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Smile

My 08 XL1200 is as quiet as can be.....but that's cause I need hearing aids and I don't wear them when I ride!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-27-2017, 10:45 AM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,961 Likes on 2,308 Posts

Originally Posted by Huggerbugger
'011 1200 with 4500 miles. Take my full face helmet off while it's running and it sounds like a can of marbles. They're self-adjusting, but sheesh, I'm wondering if they should really be that noisy.
Sportys do tend to have more top end noise...just the design of the engine.

However, part of the top end noise can be reduced/eliminated with Rocker Lockers.

Below is a vid explaining how they work.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-27-2017, 11:11 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Huggerbugger
'011 1200 with 4500 miles. Take my full face helmet off while it's running and it sounds like a can of marbles. They're self-adjusting, but sheesh, I'm wondering if they should really be that noisy.
You need to confirm if you actually have a problem first! None of us can help you there, you need to visit either your dealer or a local indy and get an expert to listen to your bike. If you bought the bike new, then go to the dealer. If you do have a problem you also have a warranty!

Old 01-27-2017, 11:18 AM
CheefASRC
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 25 Posts

now that's a plan!

Quick Reply: Valve Clatter - How much is normal?