Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So when does the 4-valve per cylinder Sportsters come?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 09:06 AM
Springman65
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well, I think the Sportster should keep its frame. Its not that I have anything against the Buells; but they never did anything for me. I think the general style of the Sportster should stay; just update the motor/tranny.

I don't want to sacrifice the HD-style for speed....that is not the Harley way......I want BOTH...that IS the Harley way....(GRIN!)

Springman

Old 11-04-2016, 10:18 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Originally Posted by Springman65
.I want BOTH...that IS the Harley way....(GRIN!)
speed and harley are not synonymous... it is NOT the harley way.

harley sells well fuctioning watered down bikes... the turns around and sells you upgrades to make the bike go faster, stop better, and sound better.

i like the blank canvas thing a lot but, to, safetly, get a sporty to octane output levels, you'll pay thousands over cost of the bike. 104hp is expensive on hd and that doesn't just apply to the sporty. the hammer kits for that hp is upthre in price, the hd kit is ludicrous, and the same for others. same story goes for big twins.

the technology is there. hd is trying different things to stay competitive vrod... street... but, they know where thier bread is buttered... the cult of mainliners who will just keep buying and not questioning.

i put quite a bit into my fxdwg and stuff i did is stock or better on many other brands and i still dont have the output levels.... many dollars later.

the sportster frame has changed a few times over the past 20 years. the rear portrion got the last set of changes, i think.

to be 100% honest... i dont want a faster, more efficient sporty. i like it the way it is. i'm not into all that performance stuff. i know a crap load of folks are and that's really the issue. we can hold on to the past but, change is constant.... at some point, the evo will get hit by it, it's inevitable

Old 11-11-2016, 06:14 PM
ChromeSporty
Advanced
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Given the failure of the Vrod I bet more attention will be paid to a more sporty Sportster. This would polish up their over all offerings nicely.

It must be air cooled, 8 valves, 6 speed, 110 ponies, great suspension, great torque, the same fit and finish, come in several offerings as it does today and keep it's iconic look.

That would be the only thing that would entice me to trade in my beloved XL1200C.

Come on HD!.....You know you can do it!

Old 11-11-2016, 06:33 PM
JayTee2015
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ChromeSporty
Given the failure of the Vrod I bet more attention will be paid to a more sporty Sportster. This would polish up their over all offerings nicely.

It must be air cooled, 8 valves, 6 speed, 110 ponies, great suspension, great torque, the same fit and finish, come in several offerings as it does today and keep it's iconic look.

That would be the only thing that would entice me to trade in my beloved XL1200C.

Come on HD!.....You know you can do it!
+1 . . . I pretty much agree.

Nice 1200C there BTW. . . .. .

Old 11-11-2016, 06:36 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

I went to the victory demo day today and tried out every victory i was interested in. (octane, hammer, and gunner)

the Octane, performance wise, puts a sporty to shame. that 104hp is on tap right away but, it's not a sporty... there were issues quality wise... exposed connections, etc. really nice bike and the 6th gear was cool. i wouldn't buy it though. the hand controls are crappy and devoid of style. i just doesn't feel like a metal sporty.

thos same issue where present throughout the line up i tried. the Hammer S is a monster! but the finish.... plastic turn signals.. they just felt cheap.

every last one of those bikes had brembro.

in all build quality wise, HD has nothing to worry about. customization.... another win for HD. overall performance wise... hells yes... there's a problem every last on of those bikes was a beast.

poor pipe placement... melting things and skin

crappy controls... yes.. we don't want to use them killswitches.

shift rod in danger

exposed wires and connections... classy

Last edited by cvaria; 11-11-2016 at 06:46 PM.
Old 11-11-2016, 06:48 PM
JayTee2015
Tourer
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by DK Custom
6 speed would be nice...but PLEASE keep the same engine, as stated, it is easy to get much more out of it, and it is rock solid, without the problems that the newer BT's have.

That is the crux of the whole argument. The Sportster is defined as it now exists. Improved through the years, but stays true to it's image.

Last edited by JayTee2015; 08-29-2019 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-14-2016, 05:28 AM
Springman65
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JayTee2015
That is the crux of the whole argument. The Sportster is defined as it now exists. Improved through the years, but stays true to it's image.

And, I think the Sportster can easily take on the 4 valve per cylinder update and keep its image. It could even improve the motor's burn efficiency - improving mileage and performance capabilities.

Unfortunately, it would also mean that a lot of vendors would have to change some of their product lines to continue to support the Sportster - the newer ones anyway.

The truth is the Sportster has evolved over the years and has adopted tech changes that has come from HD's development - this is nothing but a call for the same.

My call is not to look outward at Victory or Indian or Triump. but to look inward at HD's on tech. Harley can do the latter and safely keep its iconic style.

Springman

PS - Since this thread has started I have gotten out and test rode the Scout and Octane and I think they are OK, but not my cup of tea. I want the Sportster to keep its style, just update it.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:33 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

PS - Since this thread has started I have gotten out and test rode the Scout and Octane and I think they are OK, but not my cup of tea. I want the Sportster to keep its style, just update it.
octane build quality is questionable. they just feel cheap. really cramped ergos too. but,man... that thing moves.

i took my sporty to the demo day. even after riding all thise bikes.. the sporty felt better and more solid.

Last edited by cvaria; 11-14-2016 at 05:35 AM.
Old 11-14-2016, 08:11 AM
Springman65
Intermediate

I am VERY confident that if HD makes a 4 valve per cylinder updated motor with a 6 speed trans combo it will bring a big smile to a lot of folks.....old and new alike.

I just would like to see such an effort allow for the engine to expand to 1400 cc - still air cooled, just a bit bigger......(that is just ME request).

Springman

Old 12-13-2017, 03:11 PM
Stoneycreek
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Totally Agree

And, I think the Sportster can easily take on the 4 valve per cylinder update and keep its image. It could even improve the motor's burn efficiency - improving mileage and performance capabilities.

Unfortunately, it would also mean that a lot of vendors would have to change some of their product lines to continue to support the Sportster - the newer ones anyway.

The truth is the Sportster has evolved over the years and has adopted tech changes that has come from HD's development - this is nothing but a call for the same.

My call is not to look outward at Victory or Indian or Triump. but to look inward at HD's on tech. Harley can do the latter and safely keep its iconic style.

Springman

I agree with this post! I started riding Sportsters in 1970 and have had an '84 XLX and 2001 Sportster Sport. I am 63 years now and own a 2006 Street Bob. I waited 35 years for my Super Glide and I love it. But, I would like to own one more Sportster. But I want some ground clearance, some performance and I want it to look like a Sportster should look. I believe HD could easily update to four valve heads. I don't even think the Sportster needs a six speed, now that it's rubber mounted. Targeted oil cooling like on the new Softails would be nice. It was very ironic when my son and I went to the International Motorcycle Show in Long Beach and rode all of the new Softail models, some touring bikes and a couple of Sportsters and the only bike we drug the pegs on was a Sportster! Four valve heads, decent ground clearance with some good shocks and leave the looks alone. That would pull me right back in to the Sportster fold. In lieu of that, I'll be looking for a nice used XR1200X.

Quick Reply: So when does the 4-valve per cylinder Sportsters come?