Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about duel disk forks

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 05:54 PM
hobo1
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Question about duel disk forks

Got a friend who bought a used set of front forks for her sporty.
Her wheel is a single disk but forks are set for dual, and I got no idea what year they were but can I run the single side wheel and what part number caliper do I need?
Wish she had talked to me before she jumped on the buy wagon!

The following users liked this post:
cvaria (02-06-2017)
Old 02-06-2017, 06:24 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by hobo1
Her wheel is a single disk but forks are set for dual, and I got no idea what year they were but can I run the single side wheel and what part number caliper do I need?
I think she made a good purchase if she converts to dual front discs. Why would she need to check with you before? Now u just need to help her figure out the correct parts to purchase next to make it complete and have better stopping power! Check with Cvaria. He did the same with his bike and could probably help you out. Or maybe she needs to check with you first?...

Old 02-06-2017, 06:33 PM
hobo1
Cruiser

Check with me so I know what she bought so I know what I have to ask. She bought because a guy told her it was a sporty front fork it could have been from a Yamaha n she wouldn't have known. She just wanted it to be PRETTY but didn't find out what it came off what year they were or anything else. Now I gotta try to find out what parts will work with what she bought to make it work and she don't wanna spend much money THAT'S WHY!

Old 02-06-2017, 06:57 PM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Check with me so I know what she bought so I know what I have to ask. She bought because a guy told her it was a sporty front fork it could have been from a Yamaha n she wouldn't have known. She just wanted it to be PRETTY but didn't find out what it came off what year they were or anything else. Now I gotta try to find out what parts will work with what she bought to make it work and she don't wanna spend much money THAT'S WHY!
Was it from a Yamaha? Haha sorry to upset you just seemed like a macho man in charge sorta complex you got going on there.... I'm sure you'll find plenty of help here. Good luck and hope you find what you/she needs. Meant no disrespect just thought it was funny the way you put it. That thing will stop on a dime once converted! Or just sell the parts to someone else that can use them and get what you/she wants. Unless she wants dual discs.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:10 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

have a picture of the bike?

Old 02-06-2017, 07:26 PM
hobo1
Cruiser

No disrespect taken. She just frustrates the hell out of me.
She bought the bike with a extended fork wideglide no rake set up on it because it looked cool n pretty.
I tried to tell her for a first bike and never ridden before it wasn't going to go well n she wouldn't listen, and well to be honest it didn't!
She took it out n dumoped it over within feet of taking off n hurt herself and the bike.
Then she listened to me as far as me telling her her best bet would be to put it back to stock at least till she learns to ride n some guy tells her he has a stock set of sporty forks so she buys it.
Now I need to try to figure out if I can make a single disk front wheel work with this set of forks without even having a reference of what the forks came off to know a little of what to ask.
I'm big on checking things out and finding out if they are compatible BEFORE I buy. Because PRETTY don't get ya home (or in this case back on the road) lol

Old 02-06-2017, 07:48 PM
hobo1
Cruiser

The way it started

Old 02-06-2017, 07:50 PM
hobo1
Cruiser

Whats on it now, ill get better photos tom

Old 02-06-2017, 08:22 PM
Yamaharley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 545 Likes on 421 Posts

If she wants to sell the right lower pm me. I'll take it. Single disk right lowers are easy to come by, I'm in the process of a fork rebuild if you want to trade. Also what year is the bike late 90s?

Last edited by Yamaharley; 02-06-2017 at 08:25 PM.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:01 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

Yes you can make the single disk work for now. You just need to space it and the caliper. It may just bolt right up. What year did that new stock front end come off of?

Quick Reply: Question about duel disk forks