Harley Davidson Forums

Harley Davidson Forums (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/)
-   Sportster Models (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models-10/)
-   -   Clutch issue??? (https://www.hdforums.com/forum/sportster-models/1187496-clutch-issue.html)

Cutstavo 07-14-2017 09:15 AM

Clutch issue???

Hello all,

I've had my first Harley for about 5 months now (2009 XL1200C) loving it!

I'm having an issue with my shifter/clutch/transmission (I don't know). Sometimes while I'm stopped in first gear, with clutch all the way pulled in, the bike pulls forward slightly (sometimes not so slightly). It is also pretty much impossible to get the bike into neutral during this time as well.

In order to get the bike in neutral I have to be rolling about 5 mph or turn the bike off.

Any ideas how I can fix this? Is this a normal thing for Harleys?

Scudda 07-14-2017 09:19 AM

Sounds like you need a clutch adjustment

Cutstavo 07-14-2017 09:22 AM

Is that something I could do with my limited mechanical experience? Prefer not paying for something I could do myself.

grbrown 07-14-2017 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Cutstavo (Post 16430226)
Is that something I could do with my limited mechanical experience? Prefer not paying for something I could do myself.

Yes. You will require a few tools and I recommend you get a factory service manual, available from your local friendly dealer, which spells out all you need to know. There is also a Sticky in the Tech Primary section, on adjusting your clutch.

What is happening at present is that your clutch is not freeing itself fully, when you pull the lever in, the plates are dragging a little, which makes selecting gears and especially neutral difficult. You can however select neutral while still rolling, rather than waiting until you stop, which may help in the short term.

Ratwerke 07-14-2017 09:42 AM

Depending on previous service interval it may be a good time for a drain/replace primary fluid service, as well as a clutch adjustment.
All is easily done if you can follow a manual. Search Delboy on Youtube also, He has several vids to show you what to do.

Cutstavo 07-14-2017 09:47 AM

Thanks!

What's with the bike pulling forward while stopped? It's fairly hit or miss and doesn't do it all the time.

Ratwerke 07-14-2017 10:01 AM

Originally Posted by grbrown (Post 16430298)
Yes. You will require a few tools and I recommend you get a factory service manual, available from your local friendly dealer, which spells out all you need to know. There is also a Sticky in the Tech Primary section, on adjusting your clutch.

What is happening at present is that your clutch is not freeing itself fully, when you pull the lever in, the plates are dragging a little, which makes selecting gears and especially neutral difficult. You can however select neutral while still rolling, rather than waiting until you stop, which may help in the short term.

See post 4

maverick31210 07-14-2017 01:18 PM

Adjust the clutch cable at the adjuster on the cable itself. If it still does it, pull the derby and adjust the clutch itself.

Cutstavo 07-14-2017 01:49 PM

I appreciate all the advice. I'll see what I can do when I get home from work.

deadrubberboy 07-14-2017 02:44 PM

and/or