Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gasoline smell coming from EBS??

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 05:24 PM
lewk
Road Warrior
Received 213 Likes on 192 Posts
Default Gasoline smell coming from EBS??

Happy New Year esteemed riders,

I have a hose-based external breather on my 07 XL1200L. The stock breather screws have been replaced by banjo fittings and breather bolts from DK Custom. A filter was also included but, screw the epa, I just routed the hose straight to the ground without filter or catch can.

this morning, after a nice long ride, for some reason I stuck my nose near the end of the hose and lo and behold, there was a smell of gasoline coming from there. It's not there when I just start out but I do smell it after riding for a while and the engine is hot.

Does that mean the piston rings need to be replaced?

Thank you for reading.

The following users liked this post:
DK Custom - ST (01-02-2018)
Old 01-01-2018, 09:00 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,664 Likes on 1,147 Posts

If you have breather bolts with the little screens, and banjo fittings, are the bolts inside your aircleaner? Could vapor from the TB/manifold just back vent through the banjos and out your hose?

If you are worried about your piston rings, do a compression check on both cylinders.

John

Old 01-01-2018, 09:59 PM
lewk
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by John Harper
If you have breather bolts with the little screens...
No not the ones with the little screens. Plus the EBS is completely separate from the air cleaner. Here is a prototype of what it looks like right now:

Old 01-01-2018, 10:00 PM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

i've has that happen... no idea why.

Old 01-01-2018, 10:03 PM
Sam_48
Tourer
Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

While it does look clean and symmetrical there, I would route the hose(s) down to the bottom of the bike where the smell/vapor will not be a bother.

Old 01-03-2018, 12:14 PM
lewk
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by John Harper
... do a compression check on both cylinders. ...
Ok, I can do that. I'll need to educate myself on how to do that first.
Originally Posted by cvaria
i've has that happen... no idea why.
So it's not a big red flag to have gas smell outta the breathers?
Originally Posted by Sam_48
While it does look clean and symmetrical there, I would route the hose(s) down to the bottom of the bike where the smell/vapor will not be a bother.
Yeah, I guess if it's normal operation to have gasoline smell coming out then I'll route it down and be done with it. I am just experimenting right now. If there absolutely should NOT be, then I need to fix the root cause.

Old 01-03-2018, 01:25 PM
DK Custom - ST
Platinum Sponsor
Received 508 Likes on 289 Posts

Originally Posted by lewk
No not the ones with the little screens. Plus the EBS is completely separate from the air cleaner. Here is a prototype of what it looks like right now:

I'm having trouble seeing where the hoses are routed. In the photo, it looks like there is a single clear hose going from one banjo to the other.

Cristy

Call: 662-252-8828
Text: 662-420-4891
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

http://i1088.photobucket.com/albums/i339/DKCustom/Links/Sig1-8-14_zps9d8aff35.jpg

Old 01-03-2018, 01:42 PM
lewk
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DK Custom - ST
I'm having trouble seeing where the hoses are routed. In the photo, it looks like there is a single clear hose going from one banjo to the other. ...
Yes. That single clear hose arcs from one banjo to the other and has a hole at the top where the hot air exits:

When I removed the stock breather screws to put in the banjos, I saw that the stock screws each had a small hole where the hot air exits. I measured the stock hole size and then I drilled the hole in my clear hose to be twice the size of the stock hole.

Last edited by lewk; 01-03-2018 at 02:02 PM.
Old 01-03-2018, 03:38 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,953 Likes on 2,305 Posts

Originally Posted by lewk
Yes. That single clear hose arcs from one banjo to the other and has a hole at the top where the hot air exits:

When I removed the stock breather screws to put in the banjos, I saw that the stock screws each had a small hole where the hot air exits. I measured the stock hole size and then I drilled the hole in my clear hose to be twice the size of the stock hole.
I sort of like what you did.

You should have no gas smell coming out of that hole.

But, it is possible that you are smelling gas from your intake and not the breather tube...they are very close.

If a gas smell is coming from the actual breather hose, you are either too rich and gas is making it's way past the rings in the the bottom end, and then coming out the breathers, or your rings are worn and letting gas past.

If it is running well I would not worry about the rings. If you want to satisfy your curiosity, a leak down test will let you know if there is an issue.

Gear Up & Ride in! DK Custom 4th Annual Open House, June 8th. 🏍️ Click HERE For The Lowdown.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 01-03-2018, 03:42 PM
lewk
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by DK Custom
I sort of like what you did.

You should have no gas smell coming out of that hole.

But, it is possible that you are smelling gas from your intake and not the breather tube...they are very close.
Thank you Kevin!

I can also use the long black hose you provided (in an earlier kit I got) and route it down towards the road. But even then, if I stick my nose at the end of the hose, I can smell the gasoline. The smell is only apparent when the engine has run for a while. Like 20 or so mins.
Originally Posted by DK Custom
If a gas smell is coming from the actual breather hose, you are either too rich and gas is making it's way past the rings in the the bottom end, and then coming out the breathers, or your rings are worn and letting gas past.

If it is running well I would not worry about the rings. If you want to satisfy your curiosity, a leak down test will let you know if there is an issue.
Is a leak down test the same as the "compression test" that John referred to above?

Last edited by lewk; 01-03-2018 at 03:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Gasoline smell coming from EBS??