Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need opioions

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2018, 06:07 PM
Josh Griffin
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
Riding with a group/club and get left behind...

First... There is a difference between need and want...

Do you really "need" more than what a 1200 Sporty can deliver on american roads? I'd be skeptical of an affirmative answer. What are your buddies/club members all riding? Sport bikes? This a bunch of aggressive riders? In my book, there is only so much room for play that's reasonable for public roads. Beyond that one should avail themselves of track days. I've dumped so called riding buddies in the past because they tended to get stupid. In my experience it's a common outcome of "groups" for various reasons. This is one of the reasons that I generally prefer to ride alone.

As already mentioned... You need to get rid of the drag pipes. You are likely taking a sizable performance hit in the area of the performance band that you ride in the most (low to mid range). You might consider starting with getting a good stage 1 done (appropriate set of pipes, air cleaner, and tuning/jetting). You might be surprised with the difference from just a correctly done stage 1. If not satisfied, you'd still need to components bought for the stage 1 for going further. Don't skimp on the tuning - get it done on a dyno by a competent pro.

Lastly, no matter how much money you dump into a stage II, III or IV, you are still going to be riding a Harley. Any reasonably sized, modern, stock, sport bike will wax the floor with your hopped up Sporty. So keep that in mind while you contemplate your "needs".

Oh... and as to chains vs. belts... Don't see a need for chains... Also, doing chain maintenance all the time gets to be a drag. Belts are so much better just for this alone.
we all ride Harleys no crotch rockets I mean they don't ride aggressive aggressive I mean we just travel a good bit and when they go to pass ppl they give it gas and go and it takes me a couple extra seconds to catch up I mean id like to get a newer bike but its just not a option at the moment and I really like this sporty and would like to keep it and after I get my house try get a newer bike my carb is already upjetted was like that when I bought it and i have the stock air filter system I do wonna upgrade that as well just don't know what to get yet kinda wonna go with a cone

Old 01-14-2018, 06:56 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Josh Griffin
we all ride Harleys no crotch rockets I mean they don't ride aggressive aggressive I mean we just travel a good bit and when they go to pass ppl they give it gas and go and it takes me a couple extra seconds to catch up I mean id like to get a newer bike but its just not a option at the moment and I really like this sporty and would like to keep it and after I get my house try get a newer bike my carb is already upjetted was like that when I bought it and i have the stock air filter system I do wonna upgrade that as well just don't know what to get yet kinda wonna go with a cone
We visited our favourite dealer a while ago, when they had a special event on. I watched another couple arrive just after us, she on a Sporty, he on a RK. They had barely parked up when he got in her face about her changing down a gear, to pass other vehicles. As far as he was concerned Harley riders don't do that, they just roll on! Plainly his lady is more sensible. He was in no mood to hold a sensible discussion, otherwise I would have challenged him.

In other words, change down a gear or two and gun it. There are more ways to skin this cat than just rolling on the throttle! And get that SuperTrapp SuperMeg asap.

Old 01-14-2018, 08:08 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,189 Likes on 1,677 Posts

my opinion:

ditch the garbage drag pipes but, enjoy your bike. that should help some. not much you can do without digging a whole in your pocket. you have you priorities in order, roof first, then nonsense. look for a roof with a garage.

Originally Posted by T^2
First... There is a difference between need and want...

Do you really "need" more than what a 1200 Sporty can deliver on american roads? [...]
who called the Fun Police? lol

Last edited by cvaria; 01-14-2018 at 08:17 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:16 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,155 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by Josh Griffin
If your buds are having an easier time passing then you do on your Sporty, I would be looking at your Sporty's (presumably poor) setup. Your 1200 Sporty should keep up with the BT's just fine (perhaps it should even be a little quicker) if all is right with it. I've not seen any stock BT leaving me in the dust yet. In fact I recall the last time I test rode a new M8 ('18 Heritage), I remember thinking to myself on the way home how spry my Sporty felt in comparison.

Just because the previous owner rejetted your bike, doesn't mean it was right. Plus, there's more to a proper tune than just rejetting. You already got yourself in a hole - from the get go - with 2" drag pipes. They are the wrong size and type. Just from that alone, the woes you describe are not surprising. Doesn't matter if the previous jetting/tuning was appropriate for the drag pipes, they are still drag pipes with their characteristic performance hit everywhere except high RPM/WOT.

You don't sound apposed to spending a few bucks. Like I said before, I'd start with getting a good stage 1 done. If you still think you "want" more after that, then the money won't be wasted. If you buy wisely, the components bought for the stage 1 will be needed/used for the more advanced stages.

Last edited by T^2; 01-14-2018 at 09:18 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:19 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by T^2
Your 1200 Sporty should keep up with the BT's just fine (perhaps it should even be a little quicker)
100% bull. sportys get off the line faster but, WILL get reeled in and passed in short order.

keep it real. at highway cruising speeds, a 1200 is dead weight. a twin can just roll on more power, sporty has to drop a gear or two.

sportsters are great but, be real

Last edited by cvaria; 01-14-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:40 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by cvaria
100% bull. sportys get off the line faster but, WILL get reeled in and passed in short order.

keep it real. at highway cruising speeds, a 1200 is dead weight. a twin can just roll on more power, sporty has to drop a gear or two.
Maybe... As you say, and as I previously alluded to, I've not experienced any stock BT leaving me from the line (stop light/intersection etc.). And as you say, I suppose if it was a race they may reel me in in time (don't know, don't care, I don't race). However, I've not had any issues making quick work of any passing situation to include passing at higher speeds on interstates. A simple roll-on generally gets the job done just fine, but if necessary, there is nothing wrong with down shifting a gear.

Bottom line... Does the OP's woes sound surprising when he's running 2" drag pipes? Do you not suspect - in addition to the wrong pipes - he might have a jetting/tuning issue?

Last edited by T^2; 01-14-2018 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 09:48 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

drag pipes are trash. i can't speak on jetting. my last carbed bike was a stock honda 500cc.

Old 01-14-2018, 10:04 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

drag pipes are trash.
Agreed.

i can't speak on jetting. my last carbed bike was a stock honda 500cc.
Same same... Carb's got to be tuned/jetted right, along with the rest of the tuning factors (ie. timing etc.). No different than EFI bikes.

Seems to me I provided logical advice and a reasonable starting point. First, get the right components for a proper stage 1. Second, get it tuned by a competent pro. Once he knows he's got a properly setup/running bike, then make a decision if he "wants" more. Money already spent won't be wasted, etc..

Old 01-14-2018, 10:12 AM
cvaria
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by T^2
Agreed.

Same same... Carb's got to be tuned/jetted right, along with the rest of the tuning factors (ie. timing etc.). No different than EFI bikes.

Seems to me I provided logical advice and a reasonable starting point. First, get the right components for a proper stage 1. Second, get it tuned by a competent pro. Once he knows he's got a properly setup/running bike, then make a decision if he "wants" more. Money already spent won't be wasted, etc..
once theres a new pipe. jetting/tuning may help with reliable/smooth running but, he's still gonna be in the same basic position. a stock sporty is a stock sporty. help him manage expectations.

Last edited by cvaria; 01-14-2018 at 10:14 AM.
Old 01-14-2018, 11:23 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

once theres a new pipe. jetting/tuning may help with reliable/smooth running but, he's still gonna be in the same basic position. a stock sporty is a stock sporty. help him manage expectations.
I think there's likely plenty of difference between a poorly setup/poorly running 1200 Sporty (or any bike for that matter) and one that has been properly setup (component wise etc.) and competently tuned etc. As I mentioned before making just that little bit of change might lead to being pleasantly surprised. If after that he's left with "wanting" more, then fine. As a bonus, he's not wasted money on the components already purchased.

Or he could go ***** to the wall right off the bat, spend significant change on performance enhancements that perhaps he really didn't want/need, when he could have got where he wanted to be for a lot less. Given his presumable lack of familiarity with the territory, which could lead to a path fraught with potential error and poor choices, the end may result in mucho money spent and poor results.

Quick Reply: Need opioions