Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2018, 10:48 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 54 Posts

I don't understand all the negativity about the Scorchers. On my 48 I have the original Scorcher "31" s and have had no noticeable problem with traction on hot, cold, or wet pavement. I can drag the pegs in corners and high speed curves with no loss of traction. I don't know how to lean any farther than that.

I run Dunlop Elite 3s on my Road King and have been using them for almost 50k miles and they are the best touring tires I have ever used. Excellent on grooves, metal bridges and in the rain. Don't know if they are available or suited for a sportster. I run Michelin Pilot Road 4 GTs on a BMW R1200R and they are very good in the corners also.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:35 AM
Bowhunter8607
Road Warrior
Received 417 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by txfxstrider
I don't understand all the negativity about the Scorchers. On my 48 I have the original Scorcher "31" s and have had no noticeable problem with traction on hot, cold, or wet pavement. I can drag the pegs in corners and high speed curves with no loss of traction. I don't know how to lean any farther than that.

I run Dunlop Elite 3s on my Road King and have been using them for almost 50k miles and they are the best touring tires I have ever used. Excellent on grooves, metal bridges and in the rain. Don't know if they are available or suited for a sportster. I run Michelin Pilot Road 4 GTs on a BMW R1200R and they are very good in the corners also.
The scorchers were on my 48 and it wasn't leaning over much at all to drag pipes and jiffy stand and much less to drag pegs due to the low ride height. My issue wasn't dragging parts it was the fact that if I got on the throttle at all they would break loose. Just no grip at all.

The following users liked this post:
wharg (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 11:09 AM
Skwerly
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just got a Commander shipped here. Bike isn't together yet, but the reviews for these tires are out of control good. I figure I could do worse.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:04 PM
iamracerexx
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You plan on putting the Commander on a Sportster?

Old 02-25-2018, 04:24 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by iamracerexx
You plan on putting the Commander on a Sportster?
I run commander 2's on my Evo. Best high mileage tire I've used when it comes to grip:mileage ratio. Will continue to run those. Much better in the rain than many others in the same category in my opinion. I've done everything from triple digits desert runs to 2"+ of rain in under 30 minutes at highway speeds. Never a complaint. They're not as grippy as a low mileage tire, but that's to be expected for their longevity.

My ironhead I run Shinko 777 front and rear. Great grip in all conditions, and since I don't put the mileage I do on the Evo for this bike it isn't an issue for longevity. They stick very well cold and amazing hot, and the wet doesn't faze them. Without spending 3x as much for a Pirelli or Avon, you won't find a better gripping tire. Unless you want to change tires every year, they're best reserved for bikes with <5k miles per year on them.

Old 02-25-2018, 05:40 PM
iamracerexx
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Seems like a lot of you are using the Shinko 777 f/r. I'm intrigued and may do the same.

Thanks so much,
Lee

Old 02-25-2018, 05:48 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by iamracerexx
Seems like a lot of you are using the Shinko 777 f/r. I'm intrigued and may do the same.

Thanks so much,
Lee
The 777;s are excellent tires, especially when you consider the price.

Yea they do wear quicker than others but the grip and price more than make up for that. Also best tire I;ve ever ran in the rain.

Old 02-25-2018, 06:05 PM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,549 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by Skwerly
Just got a Commander shipped here. Bike isn't together yet, but the reviews for these tires are out of control good. I figure I could do worse.
meh, ya cant do much worse. I was not impressed with the Commander II's. They are straight line cruiser tire meant to get mileage.

Commander II's are hard and almost hard to the point that they wear quickly. I had 5k miles on a rear when I took it off my dyna and maybe could have milked anther thousand miles. Started drifting my bike corners with commanders on it, and in the rain any throttle input gets it spinning. Switched to Pirelli Night dragons and They're a much better tire, MUCH better grip and handling better in wet, and I get about the same 6k miles out of them.

Last edited by 2500hdon37s; 02-25-2018 at 06:07 PM.
Old 02-25-2018, 07:06 PM
Skwerly
Intermediate
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Hmmmm, well the Commander arrived and I have it, so let's hope it does well. This is the only place I've heard a complaint about the things lol. Sigh...

Old 02-25-2018, 09:15 PM
Scuba10jdl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 207 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s
meh, ya cant do much worse. I was not impressed with the Commander II's. They are straight line cruiser tire meant to get mileage.

Commander II's are hard and almost hard to the point that they wear quickly. I had 5k miles on a rear when I took it off my dyna and maybe could have milked anther thousand miles. Started drifting my bike corners with commanders on it, and in the rain any throttle input gets it spinning. Switched to Pirelli Night dragons and They're a much better tire, MUCH better grip and handling better in wet, and I get about the same 6k miles out of them.
I got 22k out of my last rear Commander II. That was about 50/50 2up wih 6k out of 22k loaded gross weight run through the country where I did 500 miles a day non-stop minus gas. Literally Columbus, Ohio to the Pacific Coast and back, all weather. I can honestly say if you can't handle Commander II's in the rain, you can't ride.

My bike hits 80+ lbf/ft of torque at 2300rpm, and carries that through 6200 rpm. It's over 90 horsepower. No slouch...

The pirelli is a great tire, but to compare it to the commander 2 is like comparing a diesel pickup to a WRX. Not even the same.

Quick Reply: New tires