Sportster Models 883, 883 Custom, 1200 Custom, 883L, 1200L, 1200S, 1200 Roadster, XR1200, and the Nightster.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud shitty exhaust noise

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 06:02 PM
apache snow
Road Warrior
Received 692 Likes on 453 Posts

I run a Supertrap Supermegs with twenty disc and an open end cap. Its one of the quietest performance pipes out there and not a bad performer either.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:31 PM
fugno
Road Captain
Received 323 Likes on 162 Posts

When I bought my Sporty it had V&H straight pipes with no baffles. The old woman next door looked like she was gonna come at me with her broom a couple of times when I started my bike. My ears were ringing after an hour on the highway so I put on the stock mufflers, now it sounds like a Honda. I ordered some Screaming Eagle mufflers which should be here in time for the weekend. I hope this is the sweet spot I'm looking for.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:45 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,155 Likes on 723 Posts

Originally Posted by fugno
When I bought my Sporty it had V&H straight pipes with no baffles. The old woman next door looked like she was gonna come at me with her broom a couple of times when I started my bike. My ears were ringing after an hour on the highway so I put on the stock mufflers, now it sounds like a Honda. I ordered some Screaming Eagle mufflers which should be here in time for the weekend. I hope this is the sweet spot I'm looking for.
Earplugs... Doesn't matter how loud or quiet the pipes are. Just as much about cutting down the wind noise (also damaging).

The following users liked this post:
misput (06-10-2018)
Old 04-25-2018, 12:44 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,136 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
Earplugs... Doesn't matter how loud or quiet the pipes are. Just as much about cutting down the wind noise (also damaging).
Since I switched from a 3/4 helmet to a FF, it has been so much more pleasant to ride without the wind blast in my ears. Really made it much more enjoyable at speeds over 50 for sure.

John

Old 04-25-2018, 03:49 PM
JerseyDoug
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by John Harper
Since I switched from a 3/4 helmet to a FF, it has been so much more pleasant to ride without the wind blast in my ears. Really made it much more enjoyable at speeds over 50 for sure.

John
3/4 helmet covers your ears as well. Did you mean 1/2 helmet?

I wear a 3/4 helmet with pull down shield (Shoei J something). No wind.

Originally Posted by fugno
The Screaming Eagles are louder than stock. I just switched back to them from a set of Cobra slip-ons. You will be happy, IMO.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:10 PM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by John Harper

John

Don't know about what others experience... But my FF acts as an echo chamber for my pipes. If FF is on, then ear plugs have to be in for this reason alone.

Wind noise may still be an issue even with a FF (depending on the helmet). There is no doubt that it is with my 1/2 helmet. So for this reason too, the ear plugs are a must.

Additional benefit... I believe that I can actually hear better what is important around me. This may seem counterintuitive, by my perception suggest that the ear plugs cut down both the wind noise and nose from the pipes that's in close proximity and allows other (perhaps more important) stuff to get through. This may be aided by the fact that I wear silicon ear plugs (CVS). The silicon ear plugs only have a NRR of 22db. Just enough attenuation to get the job done, but perhaps not too much so that I can still hear what I need to. Bonus, bonus... They are also so comfortable that I don't notice that I have them in.

Last edited by T^2; 04-25-2018 at 05:21 PM.
Old 04-25-2018, 08:49 PM
John Harper
HDF Community Team
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,136 Posts

Originally Posted by JerseyDoug
3/4 helmet covers your ears as well. Did you mean 1/2 helmet?
Yes, I guess so. No problem with echoing of pipes, actually hear a more subdued sound.

John

Last edited by John Harper; 04-25-2018 at 08:54 PM.
Old 04-26-2018, 09:22 AM
JerseyDoug
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by T^2
Don't know about what others experience... But my FF acts as an echo chamber for my pipes. If FF is on, then ear plugs have to be in for this reason alone.

Wind noise may still be an issue even with a FF (depending on the helmet). There is no doubt that it is with my 1/2 helmet. So for this reason too, the ear plugs are a must.

Additional benefit... I believe that I can actually hear better what is important around me. This may seem counterintuitive, by my perception suggest that the ear plugs cut down both the wind noise and nose from the pipes that's in close proximity and allows other (perhaps more important) stuff to get through. This may be aided by the fact that I wear silicon ear plugs (CVS). The silicon ear plugs only have a NRR of 22db. Just enough attenuation to get the job done, but perhaps not too much so that I can still hear what I need to. Bonus, bonus... They are also so comfortable that I don't notice that I have them in.
Interesting. When wearing my 1/2 helmet, earplugs make for a more pleasant riding experience for sure. With my 3/4 and FF not so much. Both are Shoei helmets and do a good job cutting down the wind and road noise. Actually, I have a hard time wearing earplugs with either as the helmet dislodges the earplug(s) when I slide the helmet over my ears.

Old 04-26-2018, 11:52 AM
T^2
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by JerseyDoug
... Actually, I have a hard time wearing earplugs with either as the helmet dislodges the earplug(s) when I slide the helmet over my ears.

Shouldn't happen with these...

https://www.cvs.com/shop/cvs-health-...5?skuId=457795

The following users liked this post:
JerseyDoug (04-26-2018)
Old 04-26-2018, 07:52 PM
fugno
Road Captain
Received 323 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by City Worker

Opinions are like @ss hole$ everyone has one 😉
But not everyone washes them!

Quick Reply: Loud shitty exhaust noise